Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone know anything about Riverfest?

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know whats actually happening?!

The festival must be going ahead... but less than 2 weeks from start date and no information, when they release it do they expext 40,000 tourists to suddenly see it somehow and think 'god, i must go to Limerick, Ireland in a few days to enjoy this festival'.

I am beginning to think it must be massively scaled back or something, this years riverfest seems to be a failure already, i know plenty of people who have decided to leave Limerick for the May bank holiday seeing as nothing seems to be happening in Limerick.

<snip> See the sticky re MCD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

check the limerickblogger.org a few posts down. Lot of people asking the exact same questions. Disgraceful that 2 weeks before it no-one has any idea whats going on

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

Riverfest is a joke of a festival.
    They have a European Market with product priced through the roof, the Saturday market in Limerick is twice as good as it.
    The International BBQ is a farce. They want people to go down and take a look at it but you cannot eat the food, it is for judging purposes (except for the few scraps that a few teams throw out to the salivating public).
    Last year there was one of the country's battleships/coast guards ships (not sure of it's official title) and the plan was to let the public on to look around. But the council and armed forces between them forgot to ask for permission and get insurance for the public to go aboard!! So you had to do with going down to the docks to look at a big boat!!!!
    And finally there is the longboat race and the I think the Red Bull Competetion. Neither worth opening your curtains to see.

And even the mere idea of a riverfest is ludacris. We want tourists to come in and enjoy a festival based on the fact that we have a RIVER! Come on, does anybody else not see how crazy an idea that is? Almost every city has a river, its what makes it possible for a village/town to become a city.

Look around the country and you will see towns and cities with well organised, thought out festivals. Most of these towns have a small population, lesser transport links and a lot fewer hotel beds but somehow they manage to put on a festival which people want to travel to.
    Tralee has the Rose,
    Kilkenny has the comdey,
    Cork has the Jazz,
    Galway has the Races and the Arts (though I am dubious of any Arts festivals ability to draw crowds).

We will hear about the hugh numbers of tourists in town for the Riverfest but exactly how many of them are here because of the Riverfest? Limerick is drawing a healthy number of tourists due to proximity to Shannon airport and the fact it is between Kerry and Clare.

Don't be fooled by Riverfest, it is just a drain on the city's finances. Poorly thought out and poorly executed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

DBIreland, you are so right! I always said that the so called Riverfest is a farce. i still call it the Locke Bar festival. Because what else can you do then sitting outside the Locke Bar???
    French Market? My arse. I'd rather burn my money in the chimney then selling this ridicolous overprized stuff there.
    BBQ? Yeah right - if i do it at home it's better to me because i can EAT what i'm watching...
    Kids entertainment like the rollerblades and skaters in Arthur's Quai Park? if you are 15 you might be impressed...
    Kayaking on the Curraghower Falls? Right - they do this every weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

DBIreland wrote:
    Riverfest is a joke of a festival.
    They have a European Market with product priced through the roof, the Saturday market in Limerick is twice as good as it.
    The International BBQ is a farce. They want people to go down and take a look at it but you cannot eat the food, it is for judging purposes (except for the few scraps that a few teams throw out to the salivating public).
    Last year there was one of the country's battleships/coast guards ships (not sure of it's official title) and the plan was to let the public on to look around. But the council and armed forces between them forgot to ask for permission and get insurance for the public to go aboard!! So you had to do with going down to the docks to look at a big boat!!!!
    And finally there is the longboat race and the I think the Red Bull Competetion. Neither worth opening your curtains to see.

And even the mere idea of a riverfest is ludacris. We want tourists to come in and enjoy a festival based on the fact that we have a RIVER! Come on, does anybody else not see how crazy an idea that is? Almost every city has a river, its what makes it possible for a village/town to become a city.

Look around the country and you will see towns and cities with well organised, thought out festivals. Most of these towns have a small population, lesser transport links and a lot fewer hotel beds but somehow they manage to put on a festival which people want to travel to.
    Tralee has the Rose,
    Kilkenny has the comdey,
    Cork has the Jazz,
    Galway has the Races and the Arts (though I am dubious of any Arts festivals ability to draw crowds).

We will hear about the hugh numbers of tourists in town for the Riverfest but exactly how many of them are here because of the Riverfest? Limerick is drawing a healthy number of tourists due to proximity to Shannon airport and the fact it is between Kerry and Clare.

Don't be fooled by Riverfest, it is just a drain on the city's finances. Poorly thought out and poorly executed!

Arguments seem to be valid - shame really.

and still nothing about whats happening from 8ball. Piss poor in fairness.

Have to say beginning to agree with DB Ireland...and I had such high hopes after last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DigitalSole

Some of the music events listed on our blog. Not sure how many of them are Riverfest events but they are gigs happening in the main city venues over the May bank holiday. Limerick Blogger have also added some info on different bits of the festival.
    If anyone has any more info, drop us an email.
    Maybe the weekend local papers might have some details.
    Digital Sole

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

They only "launched" riverfest yesterday, and what was in the local paper (chronicle) was pretty thin on the ground. Headline took up more space than the story, as it usually does with the monday/tuesday/wednesday limerick leader.

there is supposed to be someone on 95fm in the morning talking about the river fest, maybe it should be asked of them why there is no promotion of this festival and why the amount of information being put out is so piss poor.

I would put a guess as to what happened this year.

The spring fest was such a disaster in 2006 that they put more resources into it this year, thus letting the work on Riverfest slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Must admit I'm very disappointed by the promotion of this years Riverfest, though last year's was really good for free gigs (Mr. Scruff and David Holmes were my highlights). Considering it's even being advertised on national radio it's a real shmae they can't be bothered releasing the details.

I wouldn't be so hard on the barbeque, i got loads of free food at it last year. French market is fine as a side event, but it shouldn't be the "main" thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 DigitalSole

There is a small piece also on page 8 of the Limerick Post. Again scant details on the events and absolutely no mention of the Global beats thing (which is the main thing I'm interested in). I wonder has this part been chopped from the festival altogether because it is not mentioned anywhere. Last year Mr Scruff was one of the best nights I've ever had in Limerick and it would be an awful disappointment to see that part of the festival go.
    You would think for a media company 8ball would have someone keeping an eye on-line and would know that people are asking these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

Here's what the Post has to say about the Riverfest Line up:

The Asgard 2 Sail training Vessel will be in Limerick docs and will be open to the public. from friday 4th may to mon 7th may

The International BBQ comp and the European market are back.....who would have guessed

A "spectacular" fireworks display and Limerick river fringe.

Other "highlights" ---The river shannon-igans...lol.....kyaking

Festival of urban sports

Open waters at Limerick docks

and Street Theatre

so that's the filler, what about the actual events??????

• Advertisement

Spot on there, all filler.

I hope they have gotten permission for the public to be allow board the Asgard2. They could hardly make the same mistake again could they?

What is Limerick river fringe, open waters and urban sports?
    Any ideas anyone.

Well the Urban sports will be the same as last year Mountainbike, skateboarding and rollerblading, exciting to watch, the other 2 i couldn't tell you.

foinse wrote:
    A "spectacular" fireworks display

that might be worth lifting the windows curtains.
    when and where will take it place? :D
    *just kidding*

any hopes we are getting this year a well arranged flyer showing the events chronologically day by day and sorted by time and not that rubbish thing like last year?

well have a look at www.limerickcityfestivals.com there is nothing on it about riverfest, they're saying that the site is being re-constructed, so any hope of a well put together flyer is minimal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It seems to me that Budweiser have dropped sponsership of Global beats, because in the indo it mention river.live and also somewhere else i saw 'Riverfest Global Beats', dropping the sponser from the title wouldnt be an eightball thing at all... but its still going on, although seeing as all the major concerts during the week are all pay, i guess that they'll be smaller names and you will have to pay in!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

http://www.limerickcityfestivals.com/riverfest_root/2.events.html has been updated today with details of this year's events.

All but the first page are empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

From the riverfest website
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent.

Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum.

Looks like it's going to be the bestest riverfest ever :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derfen

Veni Vidi Vici........Mr Squid.

Quid Pro Quo.

derfen :: Blog

• Advertisement

Per Aspirin ad Asthma.

The debacle is announced! The "events" are online! Look at this:

http://www.limerickcityfestivals.com/riverfest_root/2a.glance.html

Even worster then I thought...

absolute and utter farce. The organisers should be shot. This is our main festival and thats all they can offer. Shocking!

Now, lets see in detail what we get:

Street Theatre SAT and SUN - unique, not in town every weekend
    French Market FRI to MON - unique, in town only once a year

River Feast (BBQ?) SAT and SUN - unique but if it is the BBQ then it is a farce, I think we all agree
    UCH performance WED to FRI - normal show in UCH as other shows during the year
    Fireworks SAT - unique, looking forward to it
    Ships in the docks - unique but no interest at all
    Kayaking FRI to SUN - they are every weekend there
    Regatta SAT - unique but no interest in it
    Skateboarding SAT and SUN - every day in in front of DUNNES Henry Street, I'm not 16 anymore so no interest at all
    Fringe C:Inside WED to MON - no idea what is going to happen in the galleries but i guess the galleries are open all year
    Open Season THU to SAT - I'm still not 16 anymore so no interest at all
    River.live throughout the week - i can have gigs and performances every week in the pubs and Belltable/UCH, so nothing special

So there are exactly sixe unique things set up for this weekend: the street theatre, the fireworks, the BBQ, the French Market, the regatta and the vessels. All other "events" are the usual things that are going on throughout the year.

How poor is that?

There is exactly ONE thing i want to see: the Fireworks. I think I have more fun if I spend the weekend somewhere else on the beach!

With their method we can declare every weekend as a festival weekend by just listing the gigs in Dolans and the performances in Belltable. I wonder why they didn't put the cinema listings on the schedule...

I have to admire that they have the guts to provide the names on their hompage of those people who are responsible for this...

I like the way they have claimed <snip - MCD> and I, Keano as Riverfest events! Without the pull and influence of these pillars of society we may never get this caliber of show!!
    I, Keano (currently on a national tour) would surely have bypassed this sleepy backwater if not for the tremendous effort put in by these valiant souls.
    Now let me take my toungue back out of my cheek and get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

well it starts its week long run on monday, although they are only claiming the monday show as a riverfest show.

they have no streets gigs that they promised, nor any additional activities for kids.

they dont have zap cats,

the main thing is a bit of street theatre on bedford row

Tops Oydessy is also being considered as a main Riverfest event when in fact it would be running anyway without riverfest, plus its a stand along event instead of being down with the rest of UCH events.

the fringe festival only has the opening hours of some galleries and a few things the youth service are running.

The youth gig, last year was amazing out in the boatclub, is now in the youth cafe. poor sound and small room

Major focus is a ship being docked in Limerick, which will likely draw very small crowds, i'd be more interested in the navy ship than the sailing boat.

I had such high expectations for this year and am completley gutted. i live for this festival and to see it in decline is horrible!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Tea Leaf

Had no idea Limerick had a RiverFest!
    We've had one for years, which you can check out at -> http://www.riverfestival.com.au
    (Yes, I know, the site is bland but this is the government we're talking about here - they pay their graphic designers a flat rate....and it shows).

Sorry to see so many of you disappointed. Is there nobody you can approach in order to get it up and moving? Or at least some sort of forum that receives public suggestions? A shame to see all the energy invested in this thread wasted. Especially with the Shannon...man, I learnt about it in school..important European trade route, Brian Boru's war fleet hooning down it...tell me, are you able to kayak down it at all?

Anyway, in the spirit of riverside living, here's a picture of the river I live near. I took it at dusk from my office.

467125032_afe7fe3057.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

I put it here aswell that the eightball guy promoted those comedy MEAS events last year and never told comics so... make you own mind up about whether they should be doing the riverfest

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

I put it here aswell that the eightball guy promoted those comedy MEAS evetns alst yera and never told comics so... make you own mind up about whether they should be doing the riverfest

eh, what? i only got half of that.

eightball has a face now: there is a picture on the first page of today's LIM Post of a Sarah Lynch promoting the BBQ. But no other details of the Riverfest in our preferred newspaper. some gigs listed as usual - with an entrace fee.

I'm tempted to send Mr Gray ('s management) an email asking whether they know that they are an official part of the riverfest. i think i do, just out of couriosity...

• Advertisement
Advertisement