Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Orally Satisfied?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

French oral today went well-ish. I was a bit put off by the fact that I wasn't asked about my family, school or town. Seems like three fairly fundamental things to address in any oral examination! Also, its so much easier to waffle in Irish than in French! I was led into some hairy questions that I didn't know how to deal with.
    Overall though, I'm fairly confident I'm in A territory or at least in the high Bs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Steve01 wrote:
    French oral today went well-ish. I was a bit put off by the fact that I wasn't asked about my family, school or town. Seems like three fairly fundamental things to address in any oral examination! Also, its so much easier to waffle in Irish than in French! I was led into some hairy questions that I didn't know how to deal with.
    Overall though, I'm fairly confident I'm in A territory or at least in the high Bs

No family, No school, No area :eek: :eek: :eek: Dear god your going to give me nightmares!

What did you walk in and they go, what is your opinion on the North Korea Nuclear crisis? haha oh dear jebus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Steve01 wrote:

they cant ask about family unless u bring it up eg.

Examiner : Whos your family
    Student : There all dead!!!!!!!!!!!
    Examiner:.......................................Ok whats your hobbies???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

No family, No school, No area :eek: :eek: :eek: Dear god your going to give me nightmares!

What did you walk in and they go, what is your opinion on the North Korea Nuclear crisis? haha oh dear jebus

Pretty much, yeah :rolleyes: After I got past talking about myself we got into last summer and my summer job. This went downhill for a while. Here's an english translation:

Examiner: So what did you buy out of the money you earned last summer
    Me: Am....... CDs......... and........ food
    Examiner: Oh, food! Whats your favourite food?
    Me: (****! Can't think of any French words for types of food) Am....... I don't like food. I like coffee. :o

Luckily things picked up after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I had my French oral there last week, it was great, it was so much easier than i thought it was going to be. the examiner asked me no hard questions and was really sound. There is so much hype around the oral, imho it's all down to nerves, if you can go in there calm and relaxed you are set to do very well indeed, i know it sounds obvious but seriously it works so well, my mock orals were awful and it was entirely down to nerves, for the real one it was as if the nerves never hit me, i just went in there and had a conversation. :D

• Advertisement

Steve01 wrote:
    Pretty much, yeah :rolleyes: After I got past talking about myself we got into last summer and my summer job. This went downhill for a while. Here's an english translation:

Me: (****! Can't think of any French words for types of food) Am....... I don't like food. I like coffee. :o

Well i suppose when they asked you about yourself you could of went into your family and killed 2 minutes... well in my case 2 minutes :D 8 people!

Then went on to talk about YOUR area where you live and blah blah blah and then you could have killed an overall like 5 minutes:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Had Irish today. Twas just a gnáthchomhrá for me. Was kinda nervous and grammar mightn't have been 100% right, but nothing really to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

Irish went worse than I was hoping. Sliocht went pretty good and she said it was "an mhaith". It kinda went downhill from there as I was thrown a bit by her not asking me about my family. Instead, she jumped straight in and asked about my town. It didn't flow half as well as my mocks did and I got a high B there. I'd be lucky if I got a B this time around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

Steve01 wrote:
    Me: (****! Can't think of any French words for types of food) Am....... I don't like food. I like coffee. :o.

Hehehehehe, that's excellent!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,469 ✭✭✭✭cson

Right a minor dilemma before tomorrow morning, i'm just after putting a piece together on An Coras Slainte for the irish oral, now I started it with 'an coras slainte? bhuel dar liom fein ta se ina chac' >> Which translates literally I think as 'the health system? well according to me its in $hit'.....

Now im thinking there's two ways this can go down, 1: He finds it funny and everything is fine or 2: He dislikes it and marks me down severely.

Now anyone have any alternative for that opening line?

• Advertisement

Don't use that. It shows a bit of immaturity if anything, which I know you mightn't mean to show, but it could easily come across like that.

Say something like, "bhuel, feicimid go leir an stailc na banaltraí san lae atá inniu ann. Sílim go bhfuil seo sheampla maith ar an riocht (state, though I'm not sure if that's the right word) a bhfuil an coras slainte ar inniu."

Now, there's probably loads of gramatical errors in that. I'm way better speaking Irish than writing it. But if you use something topical like that, the examiner will more or likely think you've got a good grasp of the language.

Replace "chac" with "phraiseach" ftw.

(tá sé ina phraiseach = it's a disastor)

Go raibh maith agat.

cson wrote:
    Go raibh maith agat.
    Agat? You only liked one of our contributions?

:(

Say something like, "bhuel, feicimid go leir an stailc na banaltraí san lae atá inniu ann. Sílim go bhfuil seo sheampla maith ar an riocht (state, though I'm not sure if that's the right word) a bhfuil an coras slainte ar inniu."
    banaltraí? you sexist pig! :p

In any case, it should be "stailc na mbanaltraí", but "altra" is the unisex word for nurse and "banaltra" is an outdated term at this stage, so "stailc na n-altraí".

How I would write that: "bhuel, feicimid go léir stailc na n-altraí atá ar siúl faoi láthair. Sílim go léiríonn sé seo an stad ina bhfuil an córas sláinte na laethanta seo.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    banaltraí? you sexist pig! :p

In any case, it should be "stailc na mbanaltraí", but "altra" is the unisex word for nurse and "banaltra" is an outdated term at this stage, so "stailc na n-altraí".

How I would write that: "bhuel, feicimid go léir stailc na n-altraí atá ar siúl faoi láthair. Sílim go léiríonn sé seo an stad ina bhfuil an córas sláinte na laethanta seo.
    I'd an Irish teacher for my first four years who hated all those politically correct changes. Banaltraí, bangardaí, even pink was regarded as a woman. :p

Well, I don't think there's much problem saying "banaltra" when referring to a specific female nurse, but for a nurses' strike inclusive of both genders "altra" is more correct.

I mean, if there were a Garda strike, "Stailc na mbanghardaí" would hardly be an appropriate phrase, unless it was simply the female gardaí on strike :p

Agat? You only liked one of our contributions?

:(

Gabh mo leisceail, go raibh maith agaibh :)

Ach is in ithe na potoige a bhionn an taisteail.

Feel free to correct my woeful gaeilge.

It's at 1130, oh dear jebus:eek: deep breathing deep breathing:D

Okay so it went pretty bad..

They only asked me simple questions and they asked me how the characters in prisonbreak got into prison = :confused:

I also stuttered on many occasions and failed to use the proper tense..

The worst being... Je suis aime :o Knew it straight away..

Oh well it's only my leaving cert:o

Reckon i got like 50/55 / 100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

Has anyone actually had a bastard/bitch of an oral examiner? Like, nearly everyone on here's said how nice they've all been.

Happened to me in Irish. Real sour horrible one who was both distant and cold. You could really tell that she didn't want to be there and kept sighing when I couldn't say something.
    French one was much better and didn't mind when I stammered and took 4-5 attempts before I could say something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

Had Irish today, didn't go too well. Didn't say enough for each question and my examiner seemed fed up of having to ask me stuff. Wasn't terrible like, but I'm confident I will get a pretty low grade. EUGH, better get stuck in to the written....

but, ORALS ARE OVER! Caps for emphasis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Irish was useless for me BUT the examiner said all of us passed 2 our teacher !!! even though she is not allowd 2 say any thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Oh Mo Dhia d orals wer so good i didn't wanna leav....d examiner was a man n he was soooo nice cept he kept starin at d kettle n tea i brought in 4 him(Lick i no!!!;) ) d hole exam! Cracked a few jokes wit him...he laughed!! Joy! He asked me was i ever in court as i said i wanted 2 b a barrister n i replied no i'm a good girl....he laughed 4 lik a hole minute!! We had a great debate on sexism in sport......he told me i had put him in the spot after we had stopped d tape!! My opinion is make as many jokes cuz it shows ur natural conversation abilities.

Assez Bien wrote:
    Oh Mo Dhia d orals wer so good i didn't wanna leav....d examiner was a man n he was soooo nice cept he kept starin at d kettle n tea i brought in 4 him(Lick i no!!!;) ) d hole exam! Cracked a few jokes wit him...he laughed!! Joy! He asked me was i ever in court as i said i wanted 2 b a barrister n i replied no i'm a good girl....he laughed 4 lik a hole minute!! We had a great debate on sexism in sport......he told me i had put him in the spot after we had stopped d tape!! My opinion is make as many jokes cuz it shows ur natural conversation abilities.

Stephanie, it was me who brought in the kettle.

Didn't know you frequented boards......

Anyway kids, the Irish Oral is an easca, probably the easiest place to pick up marks in, talk for 15 mins, any kind of ****e at all and you'll be fine. Sin e!

cson wrote:
    Anyway kids, the Irish Oral is an easca, probably the easiest place to pick up marks in, talk for 15 mins, any kind of ****e at all and you'll be fine. Sin e!
    You've also got 20-something/150 marks gotten already from the sliocht, unless you're disasterous.

guaranteed 5% from the sliocht if you learnt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Ok, not sure if I should be happy or not about my German oral, but the examiner just didn't conduct a good exam.

I walked in and she spoke in English for a solid minute or two - don't know if she wanted to put me at ease or what she was at?

She stopped the tape a few times during the exam to get up and walk around the room, and when I was answering her questions she was texting on her phone (under the desk, but far from discreet). And when answering her she kept saying 'good' and 'well done' (in english).

To top it off she let me pick my own Rollenspiel (I knew 'Weinleise' by rote) and my own Bildergeschichte (Zusammen sind wir stark) - so no complaints there.

Now I'm in no way bad at German - I'm in higher level - and managed to get 83% in the mock oral, so I know the general questions went well - I had a load of fillers about school rules and uniform etc

but, for the amount of study I put in, a good 3 weeks - I honestly thought the exam was a piss take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Selphie

ThatGuy wrote:
    I walked in and she spoke in English for a solid minute or two - don't know if she wanted to put me at ease or what she was at?

She stopped the tape a few times during the exam to get up and walk around the room, and when I was answering her questions she was texting on her phone (under the desk, but far from discreet). And when answering her she kept saying 'good' and 'well done' (in english).

Oh Mon Dieu, that's really bad!!
    I had French today, it went trés bien. Yesterday those at ordinary level didn't seem happy about it, so we were all terrified, but our examiner was so nice. There's 13 in my Honours class, and only one or two people got asked about any abstract topics. I just got asked about the normal things - school, family, area, pastimes - that sort of stuff.
    And now, hurray, they're over. Best get down to the books for the next *gulp* five weeks now :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭shazzyshaz

Steve01 wrote:

steve u sound like a big of a legend!!!:p

Advertisement