Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GPS Recommendations

• 17-04-2007 11:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hello,

Im currently living in the united states and I want to purchase a GPS unit for my car over here. The thing is, I want one that will also work when I return to Ireland. Can anyone suggest a good model and make that would be suitable for me. I have looked into the Tom Tom 910 as it has maps of USA and Europe pre loaded into it, but after doing a quick search here i can see that the coverage in Ireland is not too good??
    Maybe there is another model that I can just delete the maps of America and download maps of Ireland/Europe when I return?
    Im not looking for tons of extras, just a good unit that does what it says on the tin .. GPS!

Any Recommendations?:confused:
    Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,540 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A TomTom that has the latest European Navteq maps. Or any of the Garmins. Some of the newer Garmin devices can store the US and European maps at the same time (Nuvi 670 for $1178 :eek: ). Most devices will allow you to upload maps for a region, however, they'll typically charge you for each additional region (continent?).

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

Hi Scooby,

I was in a similar position; see thread here.

The lack of Irish coverage on the TomTom 910 was a big disappointment to me. I was also put off by the huge price-tag of the Nuvi 670. I wasn't able to identify any other units that have US and full European coverage.

In the end, I decided to buy a TomTom 510 with North American maps and worry about getting Irish maps when I get back to Ireland. On the TomTOm website, the European maps cost about €100 to buy alone, so it's not worthwhile paying a large premium for having US+European maps pre-loaded. It's not like I'll ever plan a single trip that involves driving from the USA to Ireland!

Besides, vendors update their maps regularly but you have to pay for the new versions, so I reckon now that it's not a good idea to buy the European/Irish maps 5 months before I need them.

You seem to be considering something similar. By the way, you won't have to "delete" your US maps completely when you return, you just back them up to a computer and install your European maps instead. However, I don't think you will be able to download (navigationally useful) European maps for free anywhere (other forum users might be able to correct me on this).

For the record, I'm very happy with the TomTom 510. It (any GPS) has made it enormously easier for us to visit unfamiliar cities. Automatic route recalculation when you miss a turn is just not possible with printed directions from mapquest or google maps!

The 510's display, directions and interface are all very clear. The bluetooth interface for handsfree dialling is also very useful. I don't use the iPod interface. The main feature it lacks (apart from maps) relative to the 910 is text-to-speech, which allows the 910 to read out the street names in directions. That might be useful, though the street names are shown on screen so I don't consider it a deal-breaker.

For the record, I bought my 510 on eBay for US$300 including shipping to a US address (about €225). Like a lot of them on eBay, it's factory-refurbished by TomTom rather than brand new, but it looked like new.

Hope this helps,
    Buffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Scooby_Doo

Hey,

Thanks for the advice so far guys. Indeed Buffer, the price of the Garmin is a little high. Ive just been looking at some 510's and they do seem a good bit cheaper, and you say I can simply buy and download the european maps upon my return to Ireland? That seems like what im looking for! As you say, Mapquest is good but when you go wrong your lost! Not to mind the danger of Interstate Driving with an A4 sheet in your hand!! :eek: Thats exactly why im thinking of getting a GPS over here, but if im going to pay the money I do want to be able to use it back in good ol Ireland!

Just 1 question tho, If the maps of Ireland are bad for the 910, would they not also be just as bad for the 510??

Keep the advice coming! Thanks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Buffer

Scooby_Doo wrote:
    Ive just been looking at some 510's and they do seem a good bit cheaper, and you say I can simply buy and download the european maps upon my return to Ireland?
    Well, I haven't done it myself yet, but yes, that's how it works.
    Not to mind the danger of Interstate Driving with an A4 sheet in your hand!!
    Yes -- I had one or two hair-raising moments doing that myself!
    Just 1 question tho, If the maps of Ireland are bad for the 910, would they not also be just as bad for the 510??
    It's not that they supply them but they're bad, it's that they don't include Ireland in the "European" maps that are preinstalled on the 910: see the product description here.

On the other hand, some of their separately-sold maps include Ireland; see here.

Other people on this forum have said that the new Ireland/UK map has very good coverage of Ireland; I haven't heard anything about the new European map that includes Ireland.

Buffer.

Ah I see. I has a look there at the tom tom site and you can buy a full map of europe or just a uk/Ireland map for 60 yoyos. So I presume the actual uk/Ireland map is more detailed that just getting the european map!

Ok im keeping an eye on a few 510's now, seems to do the job!! Cheers :cool:

• Advertisement

I got the Tom Tom 710, Maps are on an SD card so i can keep my USA ones in case I ever come back, and ill download the Irish ones when I get home. Ill let you all know how it is when I get it...

Thanks for all the advice! :D:D

Advertisement