Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Help Endo WaterCool" Thread

• 17-04-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭

Well my pc has now been moved into my room to make way for a gym, and its sounding like a lawn mower, only one thing for it :D.
    I just purchased a load of WC gear off unclerosco, got a a new case and fans delivered today and will be hitting B&Q tomorrow for a few bits and bobs.
    Will take pics soon enough, just waiting for dad to bring the good camera back home.

Iv started lapping the blocks, im about half way so should have that done for the weekend. I just mounted the reservoir which looks good but im having a bit of trouble with the radiator. Its a triple 120mm and im mounting it on top of a Lian Li PC-7 Plus. Not sure which is the best format, fans on top blowing down or fans on the bottom blowing up?
    Also does anyone know where i could pick up some of those rubber gromet things to protect the hosing from the sharp case edges?

I will get pics up tomorrow, i know how boring this must sound ^^.

Cheers
    Endo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

i would go with fans on top blowing down as ur blowing not air into ur case also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I would go the other way, and have the fans underneath blowing hot air out, instead of blowing it back into the case and causing a heat buildup. This will also be slightly quieter, as the case will dampen the sound. For rubber grommets, most electtrical wholesellers will have them. But b&q might even have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Alrighty, excuse my pathetic paint skills, did this in 2 minutes. Hopefully you can make out whats going on, im just wondering which way i should pump the water? To the res first and then up, or to the rad first and then down?
    You can see from the blue arrows what i mean.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/Whichway.jpg

Edit: Just a thought, would the pump not be under more strain if it was pumping to the res first and then all the way up?

layout-full-large.gif

Does that explain it better to you? I know its a simple diagram, but should give you a idea. So from your diagram, if you go with that setup, the water should go from the rad, to the pump, to the res, then to the cpu.gpu.nb then back to the rad.

Hmm, posted on HardForum to and they seem to think i should pump towards the rad. Reason being that to fill the system im going to have to run the pump dry for a some time to get the system full?
    Also reading a few guides and they all seem to say pump-rad-cpu is the way to go.

• Advertisement

and where does the res fit in ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It should be before the pump, preferably higher so you don't run the pump dry.

Actually I got my new phone yesterday, think I will post up some pic's of my setup now. Dual rad, dual pump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

Just my 2 cents...

I have my setup as follows:

Pump --> Rad --> HD Cooler --> CPU --> GPU --> Res --> Pump

I have tried it various ways and TBH it makes very little difference to temperatures.

Looking at your diagram are you putting the Rad externally or actually mounting it inside the case? Either way i would have the fans under the rad blowing up.

Right, i see now that the res has to flow into the pump so thats that sorted. I just have to decide now whether im gonna go from the pump to the CPU or to the RAD.
    Going to the CPU makes my job a bit more complicated and also makes the tubing lengths a lot longer:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/Setup.jpg

Guys at hardForum reckon the strongest water flow should be directed at the CPU, but it means running a tube from the GPU all the way to the rad, and then back down to the res, missions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Guys at hardForum reckon the strongest water flow should be directed at the CPU, but it means running a tube from the GPU all the way to the rad, and then back down to the res, missions.

What waterblock do you have? That makes a difference in low and high flow setups, plus its a closed loop. That means that water flow speeds are the same from start to finish. Pressure isn't. Go pump to rad, water hits the cpu at its coldest, plus it's much neater with less bends which equal better flow. The guys at hardforum are morons of the highest caliber, I like high flow loops, butt ffs back it up with something other then fanboy ranting.

• Advertisement

krazy_8s wrote:
    What waterblock do you have? That makes a difference in low and high flow setups, plus its a closed loop. That means that water flow speeds are the same from start to finish. Pressure isn't. Go pump to rad, water hits the cpu at its coldest, plus it's much neater with less bends which equal better flow. The guys at hardforum are morons of the highest caliber, I like high flow loops, butt ffs back it up with something other then fanboy ranting.

LOL :D, ye im gonna go the Rad route, much less hassle. Ill post pics up soon enough, gonna go tinker with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

hey i've attached a digram explaining how you should pipe, not sure if you've already figured it out. The Res should be as far above the pump as possible, this will add some pressure head, then res should feed out through the bottom into the side of the pump. this is the inlet on all pumps of that design. centrifugal i think. Up to the RAD first cos believe it or not a pump can actually add heat to the circuit so it's best to cool it directly afterwards. Then down to CPU>>North bridge>> GFX. actually itud be best to cool the gfx then cpu then north bridge ,graphis are general hotter. But it wont make any real difference and will be tidier this way. ideal situation would be GFX>>RAD>>CPU>>RAD>>NORTHBRIDGE>>RES>>PUMP>>RAD>>GFX. lol , but what a mess that ud be. three rads and half a mile of tube(cant wait til i build it :)). also the fans should blow up. it doesn't matter if they're on top or on bottom and the rad should be on top of the case or if on the side blow out away from the PC

Re: the hardforum comment, the guy is obviously an idiot cause if he knew anyything he'd know that the FLOW accross the entire system will be the same. only the pressure will drop. and that is only important with high pressure blocks like the swifttech storm. but where it is in the system would not matter cos the pump will only ever feel the total effect of the system.

krazy_8s wrote:
    It should be before the pump, preferably higher so you don't run the pump dry.

Actually I got my new phone yesterday, think I will post up some pic's of my setup now. Dual rad, dual pump.

Where are the pics man, were waiting here :)

Anti wrote:
    Where are the pics man, were waiting here :)

Ye my dads being gay, keeps forgetting the good camera. Might just whip out the ol 3megapixel and take a few. Its almost finished but i just realised i dont have enough water :(, have to get some tomorrow.
    I didn't end of watercooling the NB as i just could not be bothered ><, the passive heatsink does the job and the bends would have been sharp.
    Should have pics tomo.

Ye my dads being gay, keeps forgetting the good camera. Might just whip out the ol 3megapixel and take a few. Its almost finished but i just realised i dont have enough water :(, have to get some tomorrow.
    I didn't end of watercooling the NB as i just could not be bothered ><, the passive heatsink does the job and the bends would have been sharp.
    Should have pics tomo.

LOL, just realised you're talking to Krazy ^^.

lol so we need to sets of pictures :D

Well after about 30minutes of leak testing i got impatient and plugged everything in :D, seems to be running well.
    Temps are also good, my 1800xt was idling at 42, now its 27-28, havent tested load. CPU is idling at about 26 which seems ok.
    Now excuse the ****ty camera, will take better ones:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0047-1.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0048.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0049-1.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0051.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0050.jpg
    http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/Ateam/DSCI0052.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

(1st link is dead)

Only 30mins leak test :eek: Best you keep a real close eye on that for the next few hours. I had a leak after 18 hours once...after you've had to replace a very expensive Tagan PSU I guess you'll give it more time :D

Excellent, neat build..WTG!

Now to overclock it until you can get the water to boil ;)

Ye i have faith, i did actually have a leak before i even switched it on. I was filling the res and water started dripping out from the barbs, i just had to stick some rubber washers and it was grand.
    The wiring was surprisingly easy, guess i dont have many. Was gonna sleeve the fan wires but got lazy.

Fixed links i think.

Nice job there looks nice and neat. But is that 6 fans on the rad? or are my eyes deceiving me?

• Advertisement

Nah, those are just old fan housings that i gutted, gave the other fans more clearance from the case.
    Just played 30min of CS and the GFX didnt go above 32 :], granted its a bit chilly in my room but im still surprised by that considering it used to hit 50-60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Good to see it getting some use... Now go n watercool something else... God knows u've enough gear to do it ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭dubdvd

looking good .who ever picked out that water cooling set up had taste :D
    it looks better in your system . nice one . what u going t B&Q for i might have what you need as ive a rake of stuff left over ??

where do you get the rubber bit for protecting the pipe goin through the case?

The grommets?

You can get them in ireland Here

where do you get the rubber bit for protecting the pipe goin through the case?

Went to some electrical store, they had loads of them at different sizes. Most decent electrical or hardware stores have them.

sound will come in handy when i have to cut big dirty holes in my case soon too.

Anti wrote:
    The grommets?

You can get them in ireland Here

How many do you get for 1.99? I payed 50p for 4, so about 70cents in euro.

i think there is 2 in tha pack.

• Advertisement

How many do you get for 1.99? I payed 50p for 4, so about 70cents in euro.

you live in england or NI?

Advertisement