Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

crested gecko not eating

Options
  • 17-04-2007 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭

my gf's crested gecko hasn't been eating for about two weeks. she brought it to a vet who didn't know what was wrong. she's started feeding it baby food which is sort of going down but she's very worried about it.

it normally eats 4-6 crickets every two days but after she shed two weeks ago she just stopped.

i'm hoping you good people can give some advice :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Try other live foods - small locust or some wax worms??

Is it still drinking water? Do the crickets get fed & dusted with calcium?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

How long does she have the gecko ? Has she changed anything in the setup ? Do you have a latin name for the gecko? What's the setup like ... a photo might help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

tallus wrote:
    How long does she have the gecko ? Has she changed anything in the setup ? Do you have a latin name for the gecko? What's the setup like ... a photo might help.
    are you asking what the gecko looks like or the tank?
    the gecko is the same as the one in the pic here:
    http://www.kingsnake.com/rockymountain/RMHPages/RMHcrested.htm

the tank is about 50cm length and width and 80 cm high. she has two heat lamps and a heat pad.

can't get a pic right now unfortunately. nothings changed in the setup recently but she does bring it up to athlone and back once a week. she's been doing it since september so i wouldn't say thats causing it.
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Try other live foods - small locust or some wax worms??

Is it still drinking water? Do the crickets get fed & dusted with calcium?
    the gecko would never eat anything except the crickets. she's tried both. they do get dusted and it is still drinking afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

That's a beautiful gecko! As long as the babyfood is going down I wouldn't be overly concerned. That link you provided said that some breeders fed theirs exclusively on baby food.
    Is it autumn/winter now in New Caledonia? he/she might need to be cooled down for a bit, It appears to be part of their natural life cycle and feeding might be less of a concern to the gecko at this time of year in the wild.
    My 2 cents.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Have you tried the fruit baby food? Might be worth a try! I would get an organic pot of fruit baby food if possible. Is the gecko being misted?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭flynnc

try gargoyle gecko grub
    50%water 50% gecko grub
    this is a balanced formula for cresties
    made by t-rex i think

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Shes already feeding it fruit baby food and its being misted every day. Ill let her know about that food thanks flynnc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Czarny

Crested Geckos dont like high temperatures.they become stress and stop eatin.Temperature should not be higher then 22-24'C.
    I keep them my self in 24'C and they are happy.before i kept them in 28'C and they didnt eat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

Two heat lamps might be a bit much, what is the minimum and maximum temp in your terrarium? Do you have a preper temp gradient in the enclosure?

My advice, bring the lizard to Barbara O'Malley in bray, or a qualified reptile vet Or call reptile Havan and ask Ben for advice. You could also try asking the guys in the reptile zoo in Kilkenny, they know their stuff.

Advertisement