Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More pop/rock mix c&c

Options
  • 18-04-2007 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

oh well might as well get some here - good a place as any!

http://homepage.mac.com/simon201/.Public/ElevenV6SX.m4a

Just about finished - prob do the lead voc again...
    Funny how it all sounds ok after recording and then over a period of days I hear more out of tune bits every time I listen to it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Sounds good. It has a kind of Charlatans vibe to it, right down to the organ!!!

-On the EQ side of things it sounds just right to me as its nice and bright and not too muddy (all mine are mud city!!!)
    -The arrangment of the song is very good too, but it'd be a bit late to change that now anayway!!! Just on the intro, I probably would have cut one of the guitar tracks and kicked it back in when the bass begins to give it more impact. Thats purely personel though...
    -Very good guitar sound, especially on the acoustics
    -First vocal needs to be double tracked or something before the harmonies come in - The harmonies are very strong too.

All in a all its a very pro sounding track. What gear are ya using? Good stuff,

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Hey thanks Dave - yeah that would be a good idea probably with one acoustic at the start... see I got this nice Takamine 12 string a while back and I just wanted to hear it in it's full double tracked panned left & right glory!!

oh yeah - gear..
    iMac G5/Logic Express/EZdrummer/Firewire 410/Rode NT1A mic and some final mastering in Cubase SX1 with some PSP vintage warmer compression. The organ and the elec guitar effects are within logic.

By the way - like your songs on your site, especially your latest. If the songs are in chronological order boy you've melowed out since 'Demolition' anyhow!!

Simon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭Paligulus

Aha, a 12 string!!! That would explain the crisp sound all right!!! Well I'm being a bit fussy about the intro. I get panicky when I hear any song that kicks in with the drums and there's no bass!!!

That Rode NT1A mic seems to be very good. You're getting a very pro sound with that equipment. I'll have to get my thumb out with my own mixes!!!

Cheers, I'm still learning the whole recording game. Its such a huge learning curve. I use to play Demolition in a band as an original so I decided to record it on my own recently for old times sake!!! God we were crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Niall - Dahlia

Hey Simon,

Well I thought that was a great sounding mix. The acoustic guitars sound sweet, as do the vocals. Performance wise I guess the vocals are a bit shakey in places, as you said yourself you feel you can do a better take with them so more power to you.

The only thing I don't like is the drum intro, but that's more a personal view. EZdrummer or not, it still doesn't sound quite like the real thing!

Oh and get rid of the noise at the end! :D A pet hate of mine. :p Or was that a test to see if people would listen all the way though? I like it... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Cheers Niall - ah yeah the ole' noise at the end of the track trick - gets 'em everytime! Thought you'd like the creaking of the leather guitar strap or whatever it is!
    Anyhow yeah one of a few things to sort, hey come on I'm only on the version 6 mix - they'll be a few to go!

Vocal wise, I take any positive comment as good news! I've never really considered myself as a (or 'the') lead vocalist in a band and it takes me ages before I'm remotely satisfied with anything and I have to occasionally record a covers gig just to satisfy myself that it sounds kind of okay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement