Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what happens if you (intentionally) skip the Irish exam?

Options
  • 18-04-2007 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Would I be locked outof the universities?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

you fail your LC and would have to repeat....

you HAVE to pass english, maths and irish to pass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

You don't need Irish to pass. TCD accepts students without Irish as far as I remember. You will need another language though. Ordinary Irish is very easy to pass with even a tiny amount of preparation.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Iirsh or English is a requirement.

If you fail Irish or do not sit it you do not fail your leaving cert

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Enemy Of Fate

This is a good question actually.I'm exempt from having to pass Irish to get into any of my choices (because I was born in England, and all my choices are in NUI colleges/ITs) but i'm not sure if I actually have to sit the exam (at the moment i'm not planning too).Anyone else in the same situation as me?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

man/.i wise the england rule applied to people born in northern ireland........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Gaeilge is the only compulsary subject fo the LC. Ergo, you must pass it. AFAIK your whole LC is void without a pass in even Foundation Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Tribal Joe

Did you do the orals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

obl wrote:
    Gaeilge is the only compulsary subject fo the LC. Ergo, you must pass it. AFAIK your whole LC is void without a pass in even Foundation Irish.

Get your facts right:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 disturbedangel

I was exempt from irish because i was born in England, and if you fall into this catagory you certainly dont need to sit irish and you dont have a "void" leaving cert or anything like it. If youre not exempt and you dont sit the exam, you wont satisfy the matriculation requirements for alot of college courses, most notably all (im open to correction) NUI courses. If irish isnt a requirement for the course you want to do, then not sitting the exam shouldnt cause you any short term problems.
    Ordinary level irish might be worth giving a go even just to get a pass in case you dont like whatever course you get and you want to do something else, lots of friends of mine had their heart set on a particular course for ages and then when they got into it hated it, so i wouldnt recommend limiting your options by just not turning up for irish!

man/.i wise the england rule applied to people born in northern ireland........
    ..........It does.In fact it applies to ANYONE born outside of the 26 counties.Doesn't matter if you were only born there and have spent ever day of your life since birth in Ireland (like I pretty much have), you don't have to pass Irish to get into NUI colleges (UCD, UCC, NUIM and NUIG), assuming you fill out the forms......which I suggest doing soon if you want the exemption.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Look, you're doing ordinary level yeah? if things are bad next year, do foundation. At least you'll still pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Look, you're doing ordinary level yeah? if things are bad next year, do foundation. At least you'll still pass.
    OL, yep. But I'm not worried about failing it. I don't want to sit it outof protest ;) at it being compulsory for at least people like me who study for seven other (HL) subjects (including French, so I would hope to be well sorted if I could have some faith in our education system).
    Huh? I always heard that was only for maths. I'll look it up from a reliable source when I get the time.

Anyhow I defo won't be skipping it if it might get in the way of the college/uni choices I want. That's what I'm trying to find out. And I'm not doing the LC 'till next year so I've a while to work it out.

I should have stated that that doesn't include those with an exemption. And yes, English and Maths, though compulsary for entry to most colleges, are not compulsary LC subjects.

Rozabeez wrote:
    Ah but some colleges (definitely the NUI ones anyways) don't accept a pass in foundation irish for matriculation purposes (which is very strange as they accept a pass a pass in foundation Maths), so that wouldn't be much good if he only wants Irish for matriculation purposes.

One of my mates is not sitting Irish despite having no exemption.
    This does not mean his LC is void.
    If this claim were true, were is the Evidence?
    Besides only NUI colleges require Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭sd123

im doing pass and i hate it but i will pass it no bother.i was born in england but i'm doing irish since i was 9. its a waste of 5 classes a week imo. the only thing is that ive no other language and tcd is my first few choices. if i got that exemption could i still go there without a foreign language?

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Naikon wrote:
    Besides only NUI colleges require Irish.
    ****e. Guess I'll be sitting it.

A minimum of six subjects is presented, including Irish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaving_Certificate

Under: Programmes - Established Leaving Certificate

Yeah, but average Joe can edit Wikipedia so I would question the authenticity
    of that statement.
    Find an official statement from the SEC, heck e-mail them and I assure you they will tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

declan_lgs wrote:
    OL, yep. But I'm not worried about failing it. I don't want to sit it outof protest ;) at it being compulsory for at least people like me who study for seven other (HL) subjects
    omg ur such a rebel like!!111

Like it or not, since the establishment of the free state it has been a goal of the Irish government to promote a bilingual society. Considering the fact that if you can't pass OL Irish you're either very lazy or mentally retarded, you essentially are protesting against nothing. Get over yourself.

Iorónta go leor, mhaithfí an scrudú Gaeilge dom dá lorgóinn é toisc gur rugadh mé sna Stáit Aontaithe. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Considering the fact that if you can't pass OL Irish you're either very lazy or mentally retarded, you essentially are protesting against nothing. Get over yourself.

Agreed. If the OP thinks he's too good to sit the OL Irish paper and pass it then he deserves to fail. I dunno why the vast majority of students resent Irish so much. Is aoibhinn liom an teanga.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

..........It does.In fact it applies to ANYONE born outside of the 26 counties.Doesn't matter if you were only born there and have spent ever day of your life since birth in Ireland (like I pretty much have), you don't have to pass Irish to get into NUI colleges (UCD, UCC, NUIM and NUIG), assuming you fill out the forms......which I suggest doing soon if you want the exemption.
    AFAIK, you don't have to do it if you come to Ireland when you're eight years or older.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    Considering the fact that if you can't pass OL Irish you're either very lazy or mentally retarded, you essentially are protesting against nothing. Get over yourself.
    No.Its statements like these that show you're mentally retarded.So someone who can get 400+ points in the leaving but can't pass OL Irish is retarded?Do you realise how stupid that sounds?OL Irish is NOT easy, especially if you haven't learnt any Irish in 11+ years.

For instance back at the start of 5th year when I thought I had to pass Irish to get into my college choices, I started going to grinds and putting SERIOUS amounts of work into Irish and my Irish improved amazingly quickly.But it still would have taken me many, MANY hours of (pointless) work just to scrap a D3, and those hours could be better spent on other subjects which are actually important (to me).So saying someone who can't pass OL Irish is retarded is just ****ing moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

I got through the leaving first time without doing irish, and am in psychology in trinity. DCU and Trinity don't require it, but UCD and NUI's do.

Compulsory irish is a joke, you don't foster love of a language by threatening people's future with the learning of it. It's not necessary and far less relevant to life than many optional leaving cert subjects.

ethernet wrote:
    AFAIK, you don't have to do it if you come to Ireland when you're eight years or older.
    No they changed that last year.Now it doesn't matter if you went to primary and secondary school here, and have learned Irish all your life (like I have) if you were born outside of the 26 counties you are exempt from having to pass Irish to get into any NUI colleges (which are UCD, UCC, NUIM and NUIG).But ONLY if you apply for the exemption.You don't just get it automatically, you have to fill out the paperwork, send in your birth cert (the actualy cert, not a copy), get your school to sign the paperwork and loads of other stuff too.Took me about a month to get my exemption, but it sure as hell worth it!!!

TommyGrav wrote:
    Compulsory irish is a joke, you don't foster love of a language by threatening people's future with the learning of it. It's not necessary and far less relevant to life than many optional leaving cert subjects.
    Couldn't have put it better myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

So someone who can get 400+ points in the leaving but can't pass OL Irish is retarded?
    No, they're non existant.
    For instance back at the start of 5th year when I thought I had to pass Irish to get into my college choices, I started going to grinds and putting SERIOUS amounts of work into Irish and my Irish improved amazingly quickly.But it still would have taken me many, MANY hours of (pointless) work just to scrap a D3, and those hours could be better spent on other subjects which are actually important (to me).So saying someone who can't pass OL Irish is retarded is just ****ing moronic.
    What the hell were you doing during your Junior Cert? Many hours to barely scrape a D3? Maybe if you had serious difficulty learning languages(arguably a form of mental retardation) and/or only started learning Irish in 5th year you might have problems. And anyway, if you haven't learned any Irish in 11+ years, much of the fault lies on yourself, no matter how bad the teaching methods were.

JC 2K3 wrote:
    No, they're non existant.
    No they're not.I know many people like this, and I myself intend to be one of these people.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    What the hell were you doing during your Junior Cert?
    I did **** all during the JC.Barely managed a D.However I got a B in my honours German and plan to do something similar in the Leaving Cert.
    JC 2K3 wrote:
    Many hours to barely scrape a D3? Maybe if you had serious difficulty learning languages(arguably a form of mental retardation) and/or only started learning Irish in 5th year you might have problems.
    Well like I said earlier I got a B in Junior Cert honours german, and am planning on getting something similar in the LC.Its not my fault Irish is so difficult and downright frustrating to learn (not to mention it is definitely the most pointless course on the leaving cert).Also I like the way you jump to the conclusion that anyone who can't learn languages is mentally retarded?Real intelligent.Ever hear of anything called dyslexia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

I dunno. I find Irish one of the handier subjects. Like, you've got the poems on the paper, the choice of essays that'll come up are very limited, the stories all have an easily identified theme in them.

I can understand how some people wouldn't like it at all, but difficult? I dunno.

• Advertisement

JC 2K3, I agree with you, for once.

And TommyGrav, I hope that defeatist attitude serves well you in later life.

Advertisement