Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ridgeback Stockists

Options
  • 18-04-2007 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of buying a hybrid in the next few months or so and from browsing the web and on here my attention has been drawn to a Ridgeback Velocity. Out of interest I'm just wondering how many stockists are there in the country other than the one on Bachelors Walk in Dublin.

I've a budget of about 500-600. Was interested in a Sirrus but would like the wider tyres on the Ridgeback in case any kerbs come my way.

Any other recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Viscosity wrote:
    Hi

I'm thinking of buying a hybrid in the next few months or so and from browsing the web and on here my attention has been drawn to a Ridgeback Velocity. Out of interest I'm just wondering how many stockists are there in the country other than the one on Bachelors Walk in Dublin.

I've a budget of about 500-600. Was interested in a Sirrus but would like the wider tyres on the Ridgeback in case any kerbs come my way.

Thanks.

Try www.evanscycles.com They stock Ridgeback and post the bike almost complete. I've always found them a decent online shop.
    You shouldn't really base your decision on your new bike on the basis of tyre width. This is something that can be changed easily later, or even on purchase, most shops won't mind swapping tyres for whatever width you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

If the Ridgeback website is anything to go by, there is only one Ridgeback stockist in Ireland: Cyclelogical on Bachelor's Walk.

I was in the market for a hybrid myself recently, and I tried the Velocity. It seems like a really nice bike, and good value at only €480. I also tried the Sirrus and the Giant FCR3 (which I ended up buying). Among other things, the lighter frame and narrower wheels on the Specialized and Giant bikes (sometimes described as "flat bar road bikes" or "sports hybrids") make them a touch faster than the Ridgeback. The Velocity was probably more comfortable, though.

In short, if comfort is primary, I'd go for the Ridgeback. If speed is more important, I'd go for a sports hybird like the Specialized or the Giant.
    Viscosity wrote:
    Hi

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Actually just bought a bike of evans cycles, waiting on delivery, bought a ridgeback tempest - will let you know how i get on - probably arrives on friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

I've just had a go on the Giant FCR3 and the Specialized Sirrus. The man at the shop told me that they'd sell me a Sirrus with 35's wheels if I wanted for the same price -around 600.

I don't go around kerb hopping but I'd be worried about having to from time to time. Would the larger wheels provide a little more safety of mind ? When I was in the shop it suddenly dawned on me I know shag all about bikes....:o

Both really lovely bikes though but the I liked the Sirrus better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Money Shot

Viscosity wrote:
    I've just had a go on the Giant FCR3 and the Specialized Sirrus. The man at the shop told me that they'd sell me a Sirrus with 35's wheels if I wanted for the same price -around 600.

I don't go around kerb hopping but I'd be worried about having to from time to time. Would the larger wheels provide a little more safety of mind ? When I was in the shop it suddenly dawned on me I know shag all about bikes....:o

Both really lovely bikes though but the I liked the Sirrus better.

The wheel size will be the same on the sirrus as on the Giant FCR3 (700c), the ridgeback may have 26 MTB wheels though. The width of tyre will make the difference though and change the appearance - I suppose it may look like the wheel is bigger. The wider the tyre, the more comfort you will get, although I don't see much benefit going beyond 28's, but if comfort is your primary concern, by all means go for the wider tyres.
    It shouldn't cost any more to swap tyres for a different width from the stock. I don't think you'd have much concerns over the wheels themselves once they are well built and don't have a reduced spoke count. Speak to the guy in the shop - if you have any problems early on, they will generally re build them for you and sort it out.
    P.S all the bikes you are looking at have a decent enough spec for the price, so you shouldn't go wrong whichever you decide to pick.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Bike arrived this morning from evans cycles (ordered it sunday night), possibly the biggest parcel ever!!!!:D . All i had to do was tighten the handlebars and put the pedals on - 10 mins to do (perfectionist). Love the bike - excellent service. Toof it for a little cycle and it was great - roll on tomorrow evening and i'll give it a right lash boy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Viscosity

Best of luck with the Tempest, see how ya get on tomorrow evening.

I'm still deciding, maight make a trip to Dublin over the next few weeks and check out the Ridgebacks. Thanks for your help lads.

Advertisement