Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming out at work.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I tend to avoid mentioning it in general these days (I know what irony compared to a couple of years ago ;)), I won't deny it but don't go out of my way to bring it up either, for example if someone asked me what I did over the weekend, I'd just answer "Ah just went out for a few beers with mates", if they ask where, I'd just say "in town..." and leave it at that.

I'd say most of the people I interact with on a day to day basis know by now (nearly 1.5yrs working here), it may have come up in conversation from time to time, usually on an individual basis, but when we're sitting in a group they don't bring it up, I think they might feel I'm uncomfortable with it heh, couldn't care less, I'd just rather not dwell on it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

azezil wrote:
    I tend to avoid mentioning it in general these days
    o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Offline clearly ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 imonboards

I'm not sure there's an actual need to formally come 'out' in the work environment, most professional people keep a degree of separation between both their work and private lives.

That's how I see work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭aaronquigley

Boston wrote:
    I'm wondering if, when and how I should approach this topic.
    Casually I would say as you get to know people whom you might consider friends rather than just colleagues.
    Boston wrote:
    I never liked the whole coming out thing as I usually make a complete arse of the process.

I recall someone I worked with "coming out" to everyone to make a point.
    It was so forced.
    Boston wrote:
    So is there a need to bring sexuality into the work place?
    Not as all. However, if you click with your work colleagues in a social manner or you like to share your social-side then it might come up?

I'm a lecturer, so University-land is a little different but in Ireland I work
    with some big companies on a consulting basis and I've never had any
    reactions. People at work tend to focus on the job I'm doing.

People start talking about their wife I mention my partner. Sometimes they
    say what does she do? I say well he is an administrator. It's just run of the
    mill stuff and as far as I'm concerned it's the same as someone telling me
    about their wife/husband/kids.

Of course these days he gets invited to all the work events as my partner.
    Not that he considers this a good thing :-)

Room full of academics == geek-fest.

Good luck with moving into the working world,
    Aaron.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hello Aaron, long time no see. I'll more then likely be doing a Phd so I'll be staying in university land for awhile yet.

Advertisement