Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drysuit recommendations

• 18-04-2007 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

in the few months that i have been in diving, i have become "immersed" (:rolleyes:) in the sport and have to say without doubt it is some of the best fun i have had to date.

have just completed the dry-suit speciality and am currently on the market for a drysuit and i swear what i thought to be an nice straightforward process is turning into anarchy! :)

i know there are various brands and types of drysuits but am curious to get your opinion on which one is best. what do you use/what have you used in the past and found to be good/bad?

i am currently doing some deep diving in Irish seas (the west more so) for recreational purposes. last weekend i used a BARE 4mm neoprene drysuit and found it OK, bar the usual "not made to measure" issues..
    the brands i have come across are

1. hydrotech
    2. hunter
    3. aqua tek
    4. DUI
    5. Typhoon
    6. O three

thing is do i go for a trilaminate or neoprene? i can see the pros and cons to each but last night i found out you can purchase a crushed 1.5mm neoprene suit by DUI (anyone have any experiences with the CNSE model?)

thanks for all your help guys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭bigfeller

iremex wrote:
    crushed 1.5mm neoprene suit by DUI (anyone have any experiences with the CNSE model?)

My buddy dives with a CNSE. If you can afford it it's the dogs danglies. I can't afford it so I use a Trilam suit with 4th Element Artics whic is nice and toasty and provides good movement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

repeat after me...otter brittanic, otter brittanic

started diving in california for 3 years, wore a few dui suits, but owned a whites. Moved back here last year, needed a new suit. Bought a brittanic, better than any of the dui's i tried. MTM is fantastic, front zip is a god send, and as tough as nails.

if i was going for a neo suit it would be an o'three, but i prefer membrane suits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

Have a neoprene Typhoon myself.Can fault it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

have northern diver 4mil the last ten years and never a leak or problem have seals changed every couple seasons, way over 500dives, my mate is a naval diver and alot of those guys use them and they really test their gear,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭Voodoo2

I bought a Northern Diver Coretex Drysuit cant fault it. Latex seals with neck and cuff protectors brilliant, apex valves low profile, front entry with zip protector. well worth it at around 700yo yo no faults with it yet, very durable suit!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

thanks for the heads up. i ended up purchasing a Ndiver CNX 2.5mm. by the sheer grace of god, i managed to pick one off the rack (xl) and even the shoes fitted perfectly (size 10).
    brought it out last weekend and have to admit it was a nightmare for the first couple of dives(14m and 7m) but after the third dive (24m) it seems to settle down abit.
    i was also as snug as a bug inside and ultra dry, which was nice :)

i went for the fourth element artic under garments. this stuff was EXCELLENT..its just so comfortable. tried the suit on with the metalux 100 and 200 under garments but found that the stitchin just rammed into my body with a bit of squeeze. anyone find this to be the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭theliam

im gettin one in september (going ice diving in austria!) flagship scuba have some for 600 and theyll custom order it straight from the suppliers. sorry cant be more specific. probably worth a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Scuba.ie

I started off in an N-diver suit and I do like them, but found thenm a bit bulky. Then I got a second hand DUI 2.5mm and it was the most comfortable dry suit I've ever worn! I wouldn't pay the price for them new though. So after I wore that to a thread I got a new 5mm MTM O'Three about 4 years ago and haven't had ANY issues yet (touch wood!).

Advertisement