Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100 Hours agriculture course

• 18-04-2007 10:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭

Has anybody on here done this teagasc course?

Is it worth doing? How much work is involved during the course?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

Must it not be 180 hours to avail of the stamp duty relief?

That is why I did it. It was almost 3 weeks one summer and 2 weeks the following. I learned very little, but it was good craic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

yeah, first 100 hours, then 80 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I was wondering what do you actually get from it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

I did the online version, very manageable, one tough project at the end of the 80 hours but otherwise quite good. i'm from a farming background, but didn't actually grow up on a farm so i learned quite a bit. there were modules on:
    food quality assurance
    grassland management (grazing)
    cattle production
    grass conservation (silage)
    health and safety
    soils and the environment
    start your own business
    sucession and inheritance
    whole farm planning

and possibly one or 2 other ones.

basically had to make 5 bulliten board postings per module (fortnight per module) and do some form of project or assignment. each module then had either a practical assessment or a short exam as well.

took about 9 months overall with 4 days in an ag college spread over that time

contact teagasc kinsealy and ask to speak to carmel in the e-college and they'll tell you more.

its more of a quick and easy route to getting qualified young farmer status as opposed to getting a particularly detailed education

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭nollaig

Ok, Is this course the same as the green cwert? At a higher level than the green cert? Or at a lower level of the green cert???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Am I correct in thinking the 100 hours can be done over the space of 3 weeks at one of the colleges? Can it be done at the 'training centres' also or only at the agricultural colleges (eg clonakilty, kildalton etc)?

the online course is the same as the green cert.

i am officially a young qualified farmer in the eyes of the department

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭ronan.h

Where would I go about getting info on this course? Like timetables, locations, etc... Living up in Dublin but wouldn't mind doing this part-time - Don't want to be up here forever!!
    Does anyone have direct links or email addresses of who to get in touch with?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

ronan.h wrote:
    Where would I go about getting info on this course? Like timetables, locations, etc... Living up in Dublin but wouldn't mind doing this part-time - Don't want to be up here forever!!
    Does anyone have direct links or email addresses of who to get in touch with?

Cheers
    All the information you need is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Padgeo

Johnboy!!

Where do u get info on this online course you did?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭kfk

AFAIK this course has finished and is replaced with a longer course.

it is finished now and has been replaced by a longer one alright.

I got my info from teagasc in kinsealy. the e-college unit is based there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭JCB1

Is the online version available any more ? I cant find any information on the Teagasc website. Also there doesn't seem to be any information on the 100 and 80 hr course. Anyone any idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Rujib1

Bord Snip want the stamp duty relief abolished, so I guess the 180 hour course goes with it :cool:

R1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Rujib1 wrote: »
    Bord Snip want the stamp duty relief abolished, so I guess the 180 hour course goes with it :cool:

R1

I was listening to a piece about it on the radio today. Bord Snip have recommended that those with the 180 hour course should retain the stamp duty relief but family members who take over the farm with no recognised training should pay the full rate - not the half rate that they were paying. Well that's what the spokesperson for it was saying anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 9630

thanks for the info

Advertisement