Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boyracers sent to prison

Options
  • 18-04-2007 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

Justice has finally caught up with these 2 scumbags. Scum like this should be banned from driving for life, this is not their first conviction as they already had prior convictions for dangerous driving and careless driving.

"TWO boy racers intercepted by gardai while overtaking each other at speeds of up to 140kmh were each given four-month prison sentences yesterday.

At Galway District Court, Judge Mary Fahy said she wanted the message to go out to other young drivers that such behaviour would not be tolerated.

She became incensed when she heard that two pedestrians in high visibility jackets, who were walking on the hard shoulder at the time of the illegal race, were nearly knocked down.

Robert Browne (20), of Lackaghmore, Turloughmore, and Mark Barry (19), of Tudor Vale, Oranmore, Co Galway, each pleaded guilty to driving dangerously at Knockdoemore, Claregalway, at 11pm on May 30 last.

Gardai Marie Flaherty and Michael Guerin were driving along the busy Galway to Tuam road when they noticed a red Mitsubishi Mirage, driven by Barry, overtake a Fiat Seicento driven by his friend Browne. Both cars were travelling at high speed.

As Barry was overtaking, Browne's Fiat swerved suddenly into the hard shoulder. He swerved back out again at speed, narrowly missing the two pedestrians.

The Fiat then continued at speed along the road overtaking the Mitsubishi again.

The gardai clocked both cars travelling at 140kmh before they got them to stop. During the race the car alarm siren in Barry's car was activated and his lights were flashing.

Hearing from Browne's solicitor, that his parents had now restricted his use of their car and was only allowed use it to get to and from work, Judge Fahy said: "On what planet is he and his parents living?

"Do they not watch the news and read the newspapers and see the devastation that the likes of their son is causing in this country?"

Browne had a previous conviction in 2005 for dangerous driving for which he had been fined €400, while Barry was convicted of careless driving last February. He was also fined €400."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Should've been 6 months in prison and 10 year ban. Scum

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

140 kmh in a Seicento ??

Is that even possible? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Karma wins again.

Would be interested to know how anyone can travel at high speed in a Seicento though? :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

It probably had go faster stripes on it!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

peasant wrote:
    140 kmh in a Seicento ??

Is that even possible? :D
    I've done just over 100mph(indicated on speedo) in a Seicento (on a private runway of course)....not a pleasant experience I can tell you.
    It took an eternity to get to that kind of speed so I'm not sure how the boy racer overtook at those kind of speeds. I remember once on the M1 being in 5th gear at 60mph and flooring it, two miles or so down the road I still hadn't hit 70mph :eek: (there was a slight incline in the road)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good enough for them. As for the Seicento doing 140kp/h it must have been a yellow Sporting jobbie, going downhill in a gale.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

sounds like the turbulence caused by the mirage nearly blew the seicento off the road :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fletch wrote:
    I've done just over 100mph(indicated on speedo) in a Seicento (on a private runway of course)....not a pleasant experience I can tell you.
    It took an eternity to get to that kind of speed so I'm not sure how the boy racer overtook at those kind of speeds. I remember once on the M1 being in 5th gear at 60mph and flooring it, two miles or so down the road I still hadn't hit 70mph :eek: (there was a slight incline in the road)
    I'd take the quoted speeds with a pinch of salt, TBH. Remember the stolen MX5 that hit the Garda car on the N11 a few years back? They reckoned that was doing over 120mph..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

mike65 wrote:
    Good enough for them. As for the Seicento doing 140kp/h it must have been a yellow Sporting jobbie, going downhill in a gale.

Mike.

LOL aye, when i seen the two cars mentioned i actually laughed out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

They picked the wrong county to do this. Judge Fahy is extremly strict and takes no nonsense.

Which is a good thing, a promotion to a higher court is due some day in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Wait a second....

140 kmph?

Thats only like 90 mph

Guys thats hardly fast... if one car was travelling at 70, and the other went to over take, it could easily hit 90mph if the engine could get there.

turbot wrote:
    Wait a second....

140 kmph?

Thats only like 90 mph

Guys thats hardly fast... if one car was travelling at 70, and the other went to over take, it could easily hit 90mph if the engine could get there.

It is if you nearly hit a pedestrian. 90 mph in a seicento or mirage is ridiculous, they're puny things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Keith C

Did they get a driving ban in conjunction with the sentence??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I'm disappointed that the judge didn't give them long driving bans. They didn't learn after their first dangerous driving convictions. They should have been hit with at least a 5 year driving ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

micmclo wrote:
    They picked the wrong county to do this. Judge Fahy is extremly strict and takes no nonsense.

Which is a good thing, a promotion to a higher court is due some day in the future.

The appeal will sort out that problem then ....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, but in a fiat seicento? And am I right in thinking that the judge did NOT ban them from driving once they get out of the big house? I see no mention of a ban in the story.

Also somewhat amusing is the fact that yer man's name is Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭randomer

I think there should be a mandatory jail sentence for anyone driving a Seicento. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

randomer wrote:
    I think there should be a mandatory jail sentence for anyone driving a Seicento. ;)

HAHA :D

randomer wrote:

What other vehicles should not be driven under penalty of prison? Anyone? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

DonJose wrote:
    The gardai clocked both cars travelling at 140kmh

How can one car overtake another if they are both doing exactly the same speed ?

one must have been slower/quicker ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Sounds like its been blown out of proportion in an "OHHH MYY GOODDDDDD WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" type of manner.

I think they are just being made examples of. Sure what they did is not advocatable but I somehow think it's not as bad as its made out to be.

Seicento , 140 KMH and pedestrians whith High visibilty jackets , give me a break ... did they also have golden halo's above their heads.

Just 2 eejits acting the maggot, whats new , u see that carry on everyday but that was a harsh pentaly for the 2 lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭elvis2002

140Kmh is not that fast although breaking the limit. When I am on the motorway every day of the week doing my 120, thousands of cars pass me by doing more and nobody gives a damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

How can people rejoice in the fact that two boy racers have been jailed for 4 months for driving dangerously when only last night another man who killed three men while driving drunk and speeding was jailed for only 3 years with 1 year taken off for time spent in remand.
    How can our legal system give 4 months for dangerous driving (speeding) to these lads and then give 3 years for murdering three innocent men while dunk and speeding....doesn't make sense to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

DonJose wrote:
    Hearing from Browne's solicitor, that his parents had now restricted his use of their car and was only allowed use it to get to and from work, Judge Fahy said: "On what planet is he and his parents living?

Fahy beat me to it. I can't stand this "ah but sure he needs it for work" nonsense. There are plenty of people without cars who somehow manage to get to work. The commute is a lot less pleasant than taking your car but that's what you get for abusing the privilege.
    neacy69 wrote:
    How can our legal system give 4 months for dangerous driving (speeding) to these lads and then give 3 years for murdering three innocent men while dunk and speeding....doesn't make sense to me!

But he needs to get out early for work :p One of the big problems with the legal system in this country is that judges are effectively allowed pull sentences out of their ass. Minimum sentences should be mandatory. Of course, then there's the problem that there just isn't enough prison space for everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

elvis2002 wrote:
    140Kmh is not that fast although breaking the limit. When I am on the motorway every day of the week doing my 120, thousands of cars pass me by doing more and nobody gives a damn.

Secicentos by any chance?:D :D
    I see the headlines now chicken chaser does 90mph.Driver arrested for driving match box:p
    Did they get onto The book of records that has to be a record and on an irish road too:eek:
    4months in jail for driving a chicken chaser made my day A1 thread lads:cool:

C_Breeze wrote:
    I think they are just being made examples of. Sure what they did is not advocatable but I somehow think it's not as bad as its made out to be.
    If you read the article, they already have prior convictions for dangerous and careless driving, now they have two convictions for dangerous/careless driving and they are still teenagers. Plus they nearly moved down two pedestrians. I think this sentence is well deserved.

neacy69 wrote:
    How can people rejoice in the fact that two boy racers have been jailed for 4 months for driving dangerously when only last night another man who killed three men while driving drunk and speeding was jailed for only 3 years with 1 year taken off for time spent in remand.
    That scumbag should have been charged American style and sent to prison for life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Doesn't Interceptor drive a Seicento (sp?) and often frequent the Claregalway area? :D :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Great ... Jail ... Excellent ...

So now instead of working and earning a living for themselves, they can cost us 350 euro / day to keep them in Jail.

ffs .... just ban them from driving ! with a big fine !
    Sending people to Jail who aren't an immediate danger to the public is just stupid!

I think the "almost mowing down 2 pedistrians" might have been to give weight to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement