Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boyracers sent to prison

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Enough already. I love my Seicento. Ok it may be small and underpowered but it has never failed to start or broken down and it can get me to Wexford from Galway and back fer €25 worth of juice. Plus my drum kit fits in it, and my kits pretty big.
    Am changing soon, givin it to the GF, she loves it and can't wait to girly it up (sniff)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Yepp ...

A hefty drinving ban and a few hundred hours of community service (can you get sentenced to that in IRL at all?) cleaning roadside verges would have been better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,230 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

C_Breeze wrote:
    Sounds like its been blown out of proportion in an "OHHH MYY GOODDDDDD WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN" type of manner.

I think they are just being made examples of. Sure what they did is not advocatable but I somehow think it's not as bad as its made out to be.

Seicento , 140 KMH and pedestrians whith High visibilty jackets , give me a break ... did they also have golden halo's above their heads.

Just 2 eejits acting the maggot, whats new , u see that carry on everyday but that was a harsh pentaly for the 2 lads.

I think it's right that they're made example of. Totally unacceptable type of behaviour from any driver, but young male drivers, this sort of thing that gets other people killed plus it leads to stupidly high premiums and others getting ripped off etc

A fiat doing 140, it's not that much faster than motorway speeds, so not surprised if seicento can reach that speed, although i would think maybe it's the sportier version of car or something. people walking on a national road if thats where it was, might likely wear high vis jackets if out at 11pm, would be stupid not to

honestly wouldn't mind seeing them get 10 year ban and some significant jail time, 'specially since its a second offence for one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

my ex had a fiat sci-whatever and it was the sprots model , she claimed it had a 1.2 in it(it hink it did to) so if my 1ltr can do 140kph(i presume it can , it can do 130 and its got more in it) .

jail is probably harsh enough, big driving ban would have been more appropriate in my opinion. Then again jail might scare them a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Tony Danza

I penalty is well harsh just for doing 140kph, as a lot of you are saying, but considering both of them already had driving convictions for dangerous driving and what not, they clearly weren't going to get the message with another slap on the wrist, so the sentence is for a wake up call, fully deserved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

They've also been give 2 year driving bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

Cant believe it!!....I know that guy rob!!!
    Got a lift in his fiat once as well.....nice enough chap but
    his car was a bit of a death trap though!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

C_Breeze wrote:
    Seicento , 140 KMH and pedestrians whith High visibilty jackets , give me a break ... did they also have golden halo's above their heads.

I think you'll find that anyone out walking who wants to remain safe on roads will wear a hi-vis vest over they're jackets, its fastly becoming the norm now and no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

That particular road, the N17, is always busy, and always has a lot of idiots on it (both the slow moving with no lights brigade and the speeders). A lot of the BRs gather in Claregalway and arse around from there.

As for the prison sentences, bring in chain gangs and let those incarcerated earn their keep. Or is that not PC enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Boyracers sent to prison

Good.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

happy enough bout the 4 months, but only a 2 year ban? thats bs...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

peasant wrote:
    Yepp ...

A hefty drinving ban and a few hundred hours of community service (can you get sentenced to that in IRL at all?) cleaning roadside verges would have been better.

Have to say that would have been a better idea. I think its pointless sending them to jail costing us the tax payer alot of money.

They should have to do the community service on Friday and Saturday nights only. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

This is disgraceful, if all the people grilling them have never ONCE broken the speed limit then fair enough you can talk. Thats all they did, if those 2 eejits walking in a hard shoulder weren't there the sentence would have been a lot more lenient.

More discrimination against young male drivers, I for one am SICK of it. This is basically just 4 months in jail for breaking the speed limit. I guarantee you if it was my dad, or some oul lad breaking the limit by that much, he would get off with 2 points and maybe a fine. Jail is a bit ****in much don't ya think?

Ask anyone who goes to jail, they all say you don't come out the same as you went in. It criminalises them even more. They are surrounded by more serious criminals, murderers, rapists, armed robbers, etc. They are gonna believe they belong with those kinda people in society. Learn from them, act like them. What are the statistics for people who go to jail, and then re-offend? It's very very high. In Dublin anyway. Jail is NOT a deterrent and was NOT suitable punishment for this speeding case.

A man I know knocked down and KILLED a postman in the 90's while drink driving, and got off with a suspended sentence. Didn't serve a single day in jail. These lads get 4 months for doing a little over the speed limit? Jesus 1000's and 1000's of people were doing it every day at the 60km/h m50 stretch after the toll bridge. I agree they should have been given driving bans, maybe 5 years - but to summarise my post - jail = wrong way to go about punishing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Lorax wrote:
    I guarantee you if it was my dad, or some oul lad breaking the limit by that much, he would get off with 2 points and maybe a fine. Jail is a bit ****in much don't ya think?

There's a difference between breaking the speed limit while driving in a straight line and doing reckless speed weaving in and out of traffic and swinging into the hard shoulder with no awareness to who's actually in the hard shoulder at the time. While I agree with you that the country is plagued by bull**** lenient sentences, the lads in question didn't deserve to go unpunished.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Lorax wrote:
    if those 2 eejits walking in a hard shoulder weren't there the sentence would have been a lot more lenient.

Speaking of eejits on the hard shoulder...
    Lorax wrote:
    Tonight I pulled in to the hard shoulder on the n3 where the limit is 100km/h to try something ( my friend was recording my speedometer with my camera phone )
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52718041&postcount=1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭Wossack

Lorax wrote:
    This is disgraceful, if all the people grilling them have never ONCE broken the speed limit then fair enough you can talk. Thats all they did, if those 2 eejits walking in a hard shoulder weren't there the sentence would have been a lot more lenient.

More discrimination against young male drivers, I for one am SICK of it. This is basically just 4 months in jail for breaking the speed limit. I guarantee you if it was my dad, or some oul lad breaking the limit by that much, he would get off with 2 points and maybe a fine. Jail is a bit ****in much don't ya think?

Ask anyone who goes to jail, they all say you don't come out the same as you went in. It criminalises them even more. They are surrounded by more serious criminals, murderers, rapists, armed robbers, etc. They are gonna believe they belong with those kinda people in society. Learn from them, act like them. What are the statistics for people who go to jail, and then re-offend? It's very very high. In Dublin anyway. Jail is NOT a deterrent and was NOT suitable punishment for this speeding case.

A man I know knocked down and KILLED a postman in the 90's while drink driving, and got off with a suspended sentence. Didn't serve a single day in jail. These lads get 4 months for doing a little over the speed limit? Jesus 1000's and 1000's of people were doing it every day at the 60km/h m50 stretch after the toll bridge. I agree they should have been given driving bans, maybe 5 years - but to summarise my post - jail = wrong way to go about punishing them.

they werent just speeding, they were racing each other (note the plural, two seperate cars) - did you read the original post? They have previous convictions also, and admitted to driving dangerously.
    I dont think any of your comparisons hold any water tbh

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

While I don't consider myself to be a boyracer, I do like modified cars. I'm actually driving a mirage right now, and an integra on the way from japan.

I'm glad they got prosecuted, and that they got a driving ban. I do think that a community service project rather then wasteful prison time would have been more beneficial.

There's a time and a place for driving like that, and it's on a track, not the public roads.

It wasn't just the speed, it was the erratic swerving etc that weighted the crime i'd say.

I've driven a bit around there and I always tend to see those small markers on the side of the road, with flowers and crosses. Take it handy folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

don't know how dangerous they were driving or what the story was, but they deserved it.

simple as that. don't try and palm this off as simple 'speeding'. They both admitted to driving dangerously, so they knew rightly this was no ordinary speeding case.

Fair play to the judge - that's what we need more of. No fines or community service - jail. People need to fear the law again.. at the minute it's all about equality and human rights and all that rubbish. If you nearly kill someone or you do kill someone with a deliberate act of stupidity, you have no rights imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

About time I say. If it's one thing that will make the headlines it's jailtime. A ten year driving ban wouldn't make the papers. As for the people who killed someone on the roads getting off I think the difference here is that these guys were odds on to get someone killed or seriously injured. Better to make them change their habits now before someone dies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

He he Don Jose, you got him there

I'm not 100% sure but a criminal conviction may stop them from ever working in Amercia or Australia.
    I've no idea what the lads ever planned, but thats a serious consequence for a lot of young people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭E@gle.

Lorax wrote:
    if those 2 eejits walking in a hard shoulder weren't there the sentence would have been a lot more lenient.

Why are they eejits for walking??

peasant wrote:
    140 kmh in a Seicento ??

Is that even possible? :D

jonny24ie wrote:
    It probably had go faster stripes on it!! :p

or maybe it was one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

peasant wrote:

What, and endanger them? even with high vis jackets they'd be in mortal danger

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

uberwolf wrote:
    What, and endanger them? even with high vis jackets they'd be in mortal danger

It would give them pretty good first hand experience why racing down a road is not such a good idea :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Turkilton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

LOL so the muppet has a Bebo page, thanks for the link, he deserves another 4 months for the crap on that page. Galway Crusier, LOL, poor guy needs a life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

Good job the judge did'nt see his bebo page - he'd be off the road for life, the twat:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Car Mad

Can imagine the fiat driver in jail
    Warden :What you in for convict!!
    ''Driver: I got caught speeding in a cunttogetincha

Stick him in the joy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

*sigh* that bebo page in itself is a reason to be put behind bars..
    I HATE
    COPS, GAYS, MONGS, BIG HEADED PEOPLE, FOOLS THAT THINK THEY CAN DRIVE

:rolleyes: i'm begining to think a 4 month sentence isn't enough.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement