Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advantages of flashing frimware??

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭

Don't want to sound ignorant but what exactly will flashing my 360 do and what is the best way to go about it???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

It'll allow you to play back-ups (games on recordable dual layer DVDs).

That is all.

To do this you need to open the 360, remove the DVD drive and flash it with hacked firmware using a VIA SATA PCI card or your onboard SATA on your PC. The method differs slightly depending on which DVD drive is in your 360.

It is fairly easy to do, but you must be careful as each DVD drive has a special key code to ensure that it only works with your particular 360 console. If you stuff up the drive without keeping a copy of that key code then you might as well buy a new 360. At least if you retain the key you can inject it into a new drive.

Cheers
    Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Cheers Mike. Does it make the 360 region free by any chance? I'm actually having trouble with my 360's dvd player at the moment so I need to get it looked at. Any suggestions??

Was going to try computerdoctor on the northside of Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

nah doesnt make it region free

Vyse wrote:
    Cheers Mike. Does it make the 360 region free by any chance? I'm actually having trouble with my 360's dvd player at the moment so I need to get it looked at. Any suggestions??

Was going to try computerdoctor on the northside of Dublin.

Would you like to elaborate on your "troubles"?

If it's still within warranty I would send it back to M$. Otherwise if it's really banjaxed you might be better off buying a new drive off ebay and getting someone to extract the key from your old one and inject it into the new drive.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Doesn't seem to be that banjaxed. Will read most of my games, however it takes some effort to get some of my newer ones to read (more often than not it'll show up as an "Unplayable Disc"). Really strange as all my old games will work, as will my DVDs, just a handful of newer games are problematic. I find that pressing down on the top of the 360 during initial load up helps. Once the game has booted up there are absolutely no problems at all:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mikeruurds wrote:
    It'll allow you to play back-ups (games on recordable dual layer DVDs).

That is all.
    Thats not all, it allows and is neccessary to boot a modified version of the King Kong disk to run homebrew/linux (on certain versions of the kernel).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭TechnoFreek

Can you get onto Xbox Live and play online with hacked firmware without any issues?

CiaranC wrote:
    Thats not all, it allows and is neccessary to boot a modified version of the King Kong disk to run homebrew/linux (on certain versions of the kernel).

And this allows you to do what exactly? As far as I know there have been no homebrew releases that take advantage of this yet.

Until the scene starts doing something with this, I don't think it's worth mentioning.

Mike

Can you get onto Xbox Live and play online with hacked firmware without any issues?

You can play online, but there are no guarantees that MS won't be able to detect modified DVD firmware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

mikeruurds wrote:
    You can play online, but there are no guarantees that MS won't be able to detect modified DVD firmware.

youd have to imagine theres no chance of that on the older boxes, im sure its something thatll be implemented in the elite for sure, and possibly on the newer revisions of the current machines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

mikeruurds wrote:
    And this allows you to do what exactly? As far as I know there have been no homebrew releases that take advantage of this yet.

Until the scene starts doing something with this, I don't think it's worth mentioning.

Mike
    There has been a release of a linux distro already...

http://www.free60.org/wiki/LiveCD

This mod is used and will be used in the biggest break on 360 so far, of course its worth mentioning in a thread titled 'Advantages of flashing firmware'.

It's great that guys in the know are looking for opportunities to run homebrew on the 360.

At the moment it's a bit of a party trick tbh and is not offering anything to the average joe just yet.

It's only impressing the techies for now. Hopefully some decent hombrew will be coming sometime soon.

Mike

Advertisement