Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Window tinting - non boy racer

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭

We're due to collect a new car for the missus in the next few days and are considering the option of getting the side windows (side only) tinted - specifically so we have less complaints from the kids in the back about the sun in their eyes or the blinds being up / down (always the wrong way). So
    a) are tints effective as sun screens ?
    b) any recommendations as to who to get to do it and how much we should expect to pay - car is a typical sized mpv
    c) Are there any issues with tints in relation to the likes of the nct ? I know it's a post factory modification to the car so should be declared for insurance purposes but is there anything else I need to be aware of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

Thinking about the same myself for the rear windows only. Will go back to the company who did my old car as they did a quality job.

http://www.bmglasscoatings.ie/shades.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

omega man wrote:
    Thinking about the same myself for the rear windows only. Will go back to the company who did my old car as they did a quality job.

http://www.bmglasscoatings.ie/shades.htm

Their the company who I've always gone to and they have always done an excellent job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've used a company in Ballymount called Vision Express. No complaints about any job they've done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

actually, they arent effective at all as sunscreens ....... erm, i think mine are 30% tint...

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Black Sky

zing wrote:
    We're due to collect a new car for the missus in the next few days and are considering the option of getting the side windows (side only) tinted - specifically so we have less complaints from the kids in the back about the sun in their eyes or the blinds being up / down (always the wrong way). So
    a) are tints effective as sun screens ?
    b) any recommendations as to who to get to do it and how much we should expect to pay - car is a typical sized mpv
    c) Are there any issues with tints in relation to the likes of the nct ? I know it's a post factory modification to the car so should be declared for insurance purposes but is there anything else I need to be aware of.

Got mine down by Vision last Autumn
    http://www.visionfx.ie/tinting
    Great job costing €420'sh for a medium-largish MPV. Sides, rear and windscreen sun-visor.
    Why not tint the rear?? unless already done??? Has not affected rear window at all. Personally I think it takes from vehicle not to have it done.
    No issues with NCT, I think unless you are going Secret Service blackout then no issues with insurance either.

Effective as sunscreen, depends on what you go for. Really probably looking at either a 15-20% approx or 30-35% approx if memory servers. (5% is secret service I think). Vision's advice was that the 20% mark was very common primarily for kids watching DVD screens in the back to stop glare in. I went the 30% mark, and cuts down sun glare, does keep car cooler etc.If you have a baby, you'll still need the Boots/Tweetie Pie kiddies sun blind at this 30% level. My sun visor is 30%, will probably change it this summer for a 20% or 5% one as not great on sun beating down directly overhead.

If I was doing it again, I would try to sit into a car with both levels on sunny day to try. I did expect the 30% tint to make the car darker inside, but no its still bright and airy....

Also depends on look of you car, if that is important to you both, and which shading suits. Most places will cut you off a sample to hold up to you car windows.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭smokey2

I got my focus done in vision in their medium which is fairly dark for a standard car I'd recommend their light tint which ruben the owner has on his own car!!

I've had mine nct'd and no probs at all!!

and the li'l fella loves it as he can get a snooze as we drive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Lol Ruben isn't the owner. Well unless his bro Aarron sold it to him anyway.

Back in 2000 he had a yaris with light tint on the front windows and medium on the back and sides. It worked well tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Just the back windows look ****. It looks like you can't afford to do the whole lot. If the tint is not too dark, it looks ****ing amazing and not boy racerish at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

smokey2 wrote:

I've had mine nct'd and no probs at all!!

Thats cause it's not being checked yet. They've no idea what limit they will set themselves so till they have set a limit your safe, but if they decide to be b*st*rds they could all fail.

I know the English use 30% tint which is OK, but will we do the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Just the back windows look ****. It looks like you can't afford to do the whole lot. If the tint is not too dark, it looks ****ing amazing and not boy racerish at all.

Higher spec Avensi were done this way from the factory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭omega man

In the UK windscreen and front windows are illegal to tint. I would expect this may happen here sometime in the near future so i would only do the rear ones. I believe front tints effect driving safety at night from experience also.
    The company i used before would not tint front windscreens due to safety concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I am getting mine done on Saturday for the same reason - the kids in the back. I am getting both front and back done and the back window. Is it a bit gicky to get a lighter tint on the front windows than the back? I want the back windows to be dark enough to tone down the glare, but not the front ones as I would be concerned about visibility at nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭domonick

wizard works would tint an average sized mpv for about 280 including back window it may vary depending on the car but not by much their in finglas a lot of people are goin for light on the front and dark in the back i think it looks good the only number i have is for ian 0879978189 good luck

I am getting mine done on Saturday for the same reason - the kids in the back. I am getting both front and back done and the back window. Is it a bit gicky to get a lighter tint on the front windows than the back? I want the back windows to be dark enough to tone down the glare, but not the front ones as I would be concerned about visibility at nights

like i said, i dont think it makes any difference. I only realised it with all this fine weather we have been having. i was driving down the town with my window down and the sun was blinding me. I closed the window, noticing it made no difference at all :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

I get mine done from phil , his companies called TINT IT.
    if anyone wants his number just pm me .He is mobile so thats really handy and he does a great job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Seinas wrote:
    like i said, i dont think it makes any difference. I only realised it with all this fine weather we have been having. i was driving down the town with my window down and the sun was blinding me. I closed the window, noticing it made no difference at all :mad: :mad:

On my tints which i got done about 3 yr ago in Shades, Blanch..the heat of the sun does not get into the car through the tints.
    My tints are 20% i think, its the legal limit or so what they told me!

30% is more like the legal limit just a tad lighter than the 20%

gurramok wrote:
    , the heat of the sun does not get into the car through the tints.

im confused, is the OP referring to the heat of the sun, or the shine of the sun?? :confused:

Seinas wrote:
    im confused, is the OP referring to the heat of the sun, or the shine of the sun?? :confused:

I think he means the shine, but the heat of the shine.do you get what i mean:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Cheers for the replies guys

Have rang around a couple of places for prices - seems to go from about 260 -> 400. Will try drop by a couple of places this week to try get a better idea of the diff grades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I got this done on Saturday. 30% on the front windows and back windscreen, 20% on the back windows. Cost 220 cash. Anyone want this guy's number?

I got this done on Saturday. 30% on the front windows and back windscreen, 20% on the back windows. Cost 220 cash. Anyone want this guy's number?

Where did you get yours done?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Sure - pm it over to me.

Happy with the job I take it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I've been mulling this over for a while now.. I think I'd like to get it done, but not sure how far to go. Not limo black but maybe half that?

What you think?

I had this done to my golf before.I think it was a really nice tint that was not too light and not too dark.

i think 30% would be a nice shade for your VW

Advertisement