Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Trouble

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

I have noticed for the last number of months that the BB speed of my 2Mb connection with BT has been very low. From trawling through the boards alot seem to have the same problem touting that the BT DNS servers are shot and not working probperly.:confused:

Has anyone actually managed to get to the bottom of this problem? Has anyone else been having the same problems?

At this stage I am considering moving my service provider and would like a bit of advice. I am in Newbridge, Co. Kildare and have been checking out the prices that Imagine are offering. I can get a 3Mb BB connection with talk package for same price as BT. Has anybody else tried Imagine, and are they any good?:rolleyes:

Thanks

Mickh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you are looking to change provider, why not try Irish Broadband. I didn't think I'd ever be recommending them again but they seem to have gotten a lot of good press in these here parts recently. They cover Newbridge [but not Naas :(]

2Mb up and 2Mb down with no cap but fair usage conditions for €36. You can then get rid of your phone line and get in Blueface for calls. Can work out much cheaper.

I would tend to stay away from Imagine. I've heard ok things about UTV broadband.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

mickh wrote:
    I have noticed for the last number of months that the BB speed of my 2Mb connection with BT has been very low. From trawling through the boards alot seem to have the same problem touting that the BT DNS servers are shot and not working probperly.:confused:

Has anyone actually managed to get to the bottom of this problem? Has anyone else been having the same problems?

At this stage I am considering moving my service provider and would like a bit of advice. I am in Newbridge, Co. Kildare and have been checking out the prices that Imagine are offering. I can get a 3Mb BB connection with talk package for same price as BT. Has anybody else tried Imagine, and are they any good?:rolleyes:

Thanks

Mickh

Have you checked your line quality lately to see if by any chance it has disimproved? This could result in lower speeds and changing provider would not be a help if that was the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mickh

At the risk of sounding a bit of a novice, how can I check the line quality?:o

The figures are usually available in your router somewhere - varies from router to router - I will post you a helpful link later when I get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mickh

Cheers dub45

Look forward to seeing that info.

Mickh

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

this link I should think

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

post the stats here, I bets your downstream snr will be 60db + with margin under 10db, likely 4 or 5 .

basically your line can only support 1mbit , have you plugged in any unfiltered gear at home ...or an extra phone or got a new sky box ???

disconnect the lot , power cycle adsl modem and run the stats again.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    this link I should think

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.htm

post the stats here, I bets your downstream snr will be 60db + with margin under 10db, likely 4 or 5 .

basically your line can only support 1mbit , have you plugged in any unfiltered gear at home ...or an extra phone or got a new sky box ???

disconnect the lot , power cycle adsl modem and run the stats again.

Yep thats the one and if you want some extra homework these links make useful reading as well.:

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
    http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.ht

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fifib

hey im in the same situation here with my 2mb BT broadband
    did that stat check and heres my results...can you tell me if this is good or bad
    thanks

Line Mode G.DMT Line State Show Time
    Latency Type Interleave Line Up Time 02:04:04:50
    Line Coding Trellis On Line Up Count 1

Statistics Downstream Upstream
    Line Rate 2048 Kbps 256 Kbps
    Noise Margin 12.0 dB 12.0 dB
    Line Attenuation 53.0 dB 29.5 dB
    Output Power 10.3 dBm 2.4 dBm
    K (number of bytes in DMT frame) 65 9
    R (number of check bytes in RS code word) 0 0
    S (RS code word size in DMT frame) 1 1
    D (interleaver depth) 1 1
    Super Frames 11028644 11028642
    Super Frame Errors 167550 6
    RS Words 0 0
    RS Correctable Errors 0 2
    RS Uncorrectable Errors 0 0
    HEC Errors 137917 0
    OCD Errors 9 0
    LCD Errors 0 0
    ES Errors 0 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you are marginal for 2mb with only 12db of margin ( c. 10 is min) and 53 db attenuation, therefore you get crc errors ( called HEC in your case)

You may, however, be 3 miles from the exchange which explains everything of course :D

If you unplug everything else you have at home then what are the stats after 30 mins (power off and reboot your modem too )

Advertisement