Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

O'Briens

Options
  • 18-04-2007 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Has anybody else noticed the unbelievable price hikes in O'Briens - It's now 3 Euro for a large coffee (previously 2.35)?

Will you quietly accept the price hike, or will you do somethinhg about it? I went out and bought "Kenco - pure Colombian", no more money for O'Briens from me...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

But their Chicken & Bacon tripledecker is sooooo good with melted cheese! They've a complete rip off but I still buy it from time to time - its' nice food!

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tripledeckers are where it's at, although I normally swop the slaw for tomato. the toostie version is great if you have time to wait. although it is robbery. €1.70 extra to put a bit of cheese on it and toast it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

fcuk o briens, i used to go into one in mahon cork years ago with work gang, just a few times when i saw the price of sandwiches.....

then they coo about "look at sandwiches made fresh in front of you."

WOW!!!!!!!!!!
    amazing.... never made a sandwich before, feel sorry for the Q out the door buying food there really.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

wasn't a mean-ass til I started to calculate how much any sangidges are these days:

say, 3.50 plus a coke at 90c = 4.40 per day x 5 = 22.00 per week

X that by 48 working weeks (assuming the average 4 weeks hols) and you get..

1056.00 per year, just on lunch..

If you're lucky enuff to earn top-rate tax you'd need to earn 1500 a year to pay for it....

thats just lunch without crisps and a v.mean sangidge..

put like that I don't feel such a saddo bringing me own :)

FBP..

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭cold_filter

When i worked for tesco part time a few years back, every saturday i went to obriens, expensive yes... but oh so tasty!! I bring my lunch now as where i worked now the subsidised canteen is a ripoff!! 1 euro for 2 sausages!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

copacetic wrote:
    tripledeckers are where it's at, although I normally swop the slaw for tomato. the toostie version is great if you have time to wait. although it is robbery. €1.70 extra to put a bit of cheese on it and toast it!

The problem here is cold food does not have VAT on it and hot food has VAT at 21%. This explains about €1 of the increase. - O'Briens should put a notice to this effect in their stores to avoid the questions about the price disparity.

mcaul wrote:
    The problem here is cold food does not have VAT on it and hot food has VAT at 21%. This explains about €1 of the increase. - O'Briens should put a notice to this effect in their stores to avoid the questions about the price disparity.

but the normal tripledecker has a piece of toast in the middle. sometimes it is hot sometimes not, where does that fit in?

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Joe_Soap

I never go in to O'Briens. It really irritates me they way they scrape on a thin layer of each filling. And then they look at you as though you have two heads when you ask them to put on a bit more of a filling.

Joe_Soap wrote:
    I never go in to O'Briens. It really irritates me they way they scrape on a thin layer of each filling. And then they look at you as though you have two heads when you ask them to put on a bit more of a filling.

you must be going to the wrong one or they don't like you, the one I go to piles it on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

When I want to think about the price of a sandwich, I wonder how many loaves of bread I could buy for the same price...
    it's usually at least one or two.
    Thankfully I never go near o'briens, 1.50 is enough for any coffee..

• Advertisement

copacetic wrote:
    you must be going to the wrong one or they don't like you, the one I go to piles it on

I find its the same for any of them I've been to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

o'briens almost 'pretend' white bread writes it off for me - the stuff is the most processed tasteless pretend stuff you can buy. It's the kind of white bread that doesn't go stale for a week - except of course for the crusts.

I actually had to return a sambo there before, the white bread was as soft as you like, but the crust of the bread was mouldy! No Joke. So I returned it, they said 'meh', looked at the loaf, and tossed it in the bin too.

Funny thing was just how soft the white element of the bread was - just goes to show the preservatives and crap they throw into white bread these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH I think that their coffee is muck. There are lots of far better cafes around than going there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Thank god we have subway here these days - sandwiches properly filled, no extra charge for extra salads, double cheese no problem, double meat no problem (small extra charge) and add in Jalapenos & chilli sauce and you have a fecker of a sandwich! - And you choose from 6 types of decent bread!

O'Briens = Boring

Subway is definitely the way forward! Foot long cheese steak or meatball marinara, fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Subway = no butter so O'Briens wins by default, which is unfortunate.

mcaul wrote:
    Thank god we have subway here these days - sandwiches properly filled, no extra charge for extra salads, double cheese no problem, double meat no problem (small extra charge) and add in Jalapenos & chilli sauce and you have a fecker of a sandwich! - And you choose from 6 types of decent bread!

O'Briens = Boring

dunno about this, we had subway long before o'briens iirc and it was far from a pleasant experience. although the newer ones do seem better..

Advertisement