Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop powers off during XP installation

• 18-04-2007 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭

I'm not sure if this is on the right forum, apologies to admins if it isn't;
    I recently got a new 80 GB hard drive for my laptop and I downloaded an ISO version of XP Professional from the MSDNAA Software Center to install on it.
    It starts installing Windows fine but once it gets to formatting the partition the lappie powers off in the middle of it for no reason.
    Is this a problem with the hd or the installation CD?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Sounds like the issue may be related to either the power supply or the HD. The OS installation disc wouldn't affect hardware like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭lukin

To check in order to see if it was a problem with the power supply I took the battery out and just ran it off the mains;same thing happened.
    First time it got as far as 80% formatted before it powered off, the second time it got up to 50% before it went.
    There is an option for a quick format, I will try that and see what happens, although I would prefer the long format to be safe.

Edit: I ran a read and write test on the disk (using OnTrack) and it found no problems.
    It's obviously a problem with the hd because I tried to install an XP Home Edition disc I have on it and it powered off during that installation too.
    It's now not even getting as far as the format, it powers off when the screen that asks you if you want to install Windows comes up.

Advertisement