Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Kittens

Options
  • 18-04-2007 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

Hi just a quick question pussy cat had three kittens this morning.Now i have had puppies before but never kittens,all seem well and healty.Mum is doing very good i checked tummy etc all are out and no bits looking strange.Do i need to do much with them or will mum look after them.Going to check with vet later about worming etc,but any advice would be great

Thanks very much

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Kittens are like dogs in that they're born in an underdeveloped state. They'll stand up from 2-3 weeks, and their eyes will open between 2-16 days and ears will open at about 5 days, but they won't have visual acuity or functional hearing til about 4-5 weeks. The mother should have a good supply of milk and make sure all the kittens are sucking. Make sure that they have an area that they can keep warm in (without heating up the mother cat) because their thermoregulation capacity isn't fully developed until about 8 weeks. They should stand up from 2-3 weeks. They can't voluntarily eliminate until about 4-5 weeks so make sure that the mother is licking them to stimulate elimination. If you have to hand rear them you will have to do this yourself, eg, with a cotton bud, after feeding them. You may find that kittens develop a bit faster than pups. And with any young animal, watch out for the ones who are crying all the time, losing weight or scouring.

Worm them every fortnight from 2-16 weeks with a wormer that is effective against roundworm at least, kittens are born with a heavy roundworn burden. Then worm them 2x yearly with a wormer that works against tapeworm and roundworm. Check for tapeworm if they ever get fleas. Vaccinate at 8-10 weeks and there is usually a follow up course of vaccines 3-4 weeks later. Annual boosters after that.

Advertisement