Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sat Nav Europe

• 18-04-2007 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Right I'm driving through Europe in the summer for 5 weeks and I'm thinking of getting a Sat Nav so that my girlfriend and I don't kill each other. I would greatly apprieciate any advise anyone can suggest on what makes and models I should be looking at, as I don't know the first thing about these gadgets.

The countries I'l be visiting will be France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Cezh Rep, Germany, Holland and Belgium. Also would be cool if it were of any use to me around Ireland when I get back.

Also would like to keep it near 300euro price wise and would need a car cig lighter charger.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Just make sure whatever you get had Navtec mapping as they have near 100% mapping for Ireland. First one that comes to mind is Garmin Nuvi 350/360 or a TomTom

http://komplett.ie/k/search.asp?q=nuvi

http://komplett.ie/k/search.asp?q=tomtom (not sure which tomtom is the best for the money)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,096 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If you go for a TomTom::

With regard to the Czech Republic, you have to make certain that the pre-installed map is a Central & Western Europe Map and not just Western Europe. It'll be another €60 for the addition of the CR Map. You should also get some confirmation as to what map version is installed on the unit, V6.75 Teleatlas released 18th April 2007. If you get one with old maps you won't get free updates! On TomTom's site, The Central and Western Europe Map price is €109.95. Although I don't like Teleatlas maps of Ireland, I can't see anything wrong with their Czech Republic map and haven't compared the coverage with Navteq's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

Thanks for the Info guys!

I was wondering if it is possible to create a Sat Nav Poll as a thread so that people could vote for a type or make and maybe post there reasons below? it would help alot for people like me (newbie) to get an ideal as for what to look for at a glance. Would be very interesting too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

A good suggestion, but everyone's requirements are different. For example, I use mine primarily on my motorcycle, so it's important that it be: waterproof, have large buttons (gloves), be small (fits in pockets), and takes a beating (stones, chips and other large insects!). The afore-mentioned wouldn't be too high on many other people's lists of priorities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

While continuing to research which sat nav to go for I found an interesting article on The Irish Times web site from February last, has anyone seen it before? what are your opinions on it?

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0214/1170364435265.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement