Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars Planets

• 18-04-2007 1:51pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was just in the shop and I saw a new thing: Mars Planets. Can't find a picture online, so they must be really new. They're like the Mars version of Revels, with only three varieties: Chewy (caramel), crispy (like the crispy stuff in a Mars Delight) and soft (the bottom layer of a Mars bar). They're coated in chocolate then. Very tasty, I must say! Keep an eye out for them.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Oooooooooooooooooooooo... sound niiiiiiiccccce!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,139 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

ya that sounds yummy... I'm just after my lunch and i'm hungry again now...

Mars_Planets__6646107.jpg

And a review:
    A packet of these new Mars Planets sweeties fell off the shelf in the deli yesterday so I did the decent thing and paid for them.

They're quite good these, particularly if you like Mars Bars at all, and even more so if you enjoy eating the various elements of a Mars Bar one at a time.

What you've got here is a bag of round chocolate balls, each with one of three different fillings, rather like a bag of Revels but with no gantin' orange creams. The fillings are:

* 'The soft one' - the nougat stuff from the lower deck of a Mars Bar,
    * 'The chewy one' - the toffee stuff from the upper deck of a Mars Bar,
    * 'The crispy one' - something akin to the innards of a Malteser, not obviously related to a Mars Bar in any way (not even the same as the crispy stuff in a Mars Delight).

I enjoyed these. The soft ones are pretty sweet but the toffee ones and the Maltesoid ones balance that out. The Maltesoid ones are good: they have bigger bubbles than Maltesers and are distinctly salty; they reminded me a bit of Corn Pops breakfast cereal. The toffee ones are ace: they're pretty much the toffee ones out of Revels although maybe slightly bigger.

I was looking forward to the element of surprise but unfortunately there is a size difference which ruins that a bit. The nougat ones are noticeably bigger than the other two. That's a shame. It's hard to tell between the other two though, and all three types are nice.

I would buy these again, particularly in a big bag at the pictures. I'd buy a bag of only the toffee kind if they made them too. I regret very much not trying a mouthful of one of each of the different kinds at once. I rate these 9/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Haven't heard anything about these, but I approve!

Will keep a look out for these.

Have looked for them in every shop i've been in here in Sligo.. and none to be found anywhere! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've only seen them in the one shop over here (Edinburgh). Maybe they haven't been released in Ireland yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah crap, I've been looking out for these for the last week, no wonder I couldn't find them. :)

How long before the Scots start battering and deep frying them and calling them Mars Nuggets? :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

That'd be fantastic... Word on the street is that you can bring anything into a chipper and ask to have it battered and deep-fried. It'd probably be too finicky though.

Advertisement