Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Driving test madness continues

• 18-04-2007 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭

Very scathing article in the Irish Times today.... says what we've known for the last few years but adds that this year is going no better so far with the waiting list increasing again.

http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/motors/2007/0418/1176454817552.html
    Despite overtime tests still down

David Labanyi

Applications to sit a driving test have significantly outstripped the number of tests actually conducted over each of the last four years, according to new figures supplied by the Road Safety Authority.

Last year, despite carrying out 122,599 tests during normal hours and a further 36,142 during evenings and weekends under the terms of a special overtime scheme, the numbers of tests conducted fell far short of the 216,880 applications.

This pattern has been repeated during each of the last four years, during which the number of tests carried out fell each year, before rising - with the benefit of the overtime scheme - last year.

In 2005, some 177,216 drivers applied for a test but just 137,500 were carried out. The figures also showed that the number of driver testers fell from 119 in 2003 to 115 in 2005, before rising last year to 124 personnel.

The disparity between the number of learner drivers applying for a test and how many are tested explains the long-standing waiting list which this month stands at just under 140,000 people. This total does not include another group of approximately 250,000 provisional drivers who are not awaiting a test. Chief executive of the Road Safety Authority (RSA) Noel Brett told The Irish Times that the strength of the driver tester cadre had recently been increased to 127, with 10 new testers starting training next month.

As a result of this increased capacity, Mr Brett said he expected RSA driver testers to carry out 196,500 tests, with SGS Ireland carrying out a further 40,000 and that coupled with additional tests from the private sector the driver testing service would be able to meet demand this year.

"This year we are going to do it differently. RSA testers will do 196,500 tests as part of normal capacity. And bear in mind I am in post-tender negotiations with a preferred provider for a minimum of 100,000 tests.

"The demand planning has been done, the demand forecasting has been done. I'm forecasting that I am going to get 250,000 applications this year.

"I am confident that I have the resources in place now and that we can deal with the demand."

Mr Brett conceded that late cancellations of driving tests remained an issue with one in five of all tests - or around 1,500 a week - not being carried out for that reason.

"About one in five tests are cancelled. Either we cancel it, usually due to sickness of a tester, or the client doesn't turn up, so we would urge people to notify us if they cannot take their test. The other reason for cancellations is when the vehicle is not road worthy, or insured."

Labour Party transport spokeswoman Roisin Shortall said the Department of Transport had "completely underestimated the demand that is there for tests. The Minister seemed to approach this on the basis that there is a bulge that is out of the way."

She said the anomaly that allowed drivers to reach their fifth provisional licence remained and said this was an indictment of the Government's failure to give road safety adequate priority.

"People can still apply for a test, simply renew their licence and cancel or ignore their test and keep driving untaught and untested for years and years. It is unbelievable that that can still happen."

Ms Shortall said the Minister for Transport, Martin Cullen, had said waiting times for a driving test would be cut to eight weeks by the middle of 2007. "He has utterly failed and I would be concerned that he is going to make another big announcement on outsourcing in the run up to the election to disguise this failure."
    © 2007 The Irish Times

21st century Ireland.

GET IT SORTED.:mad:

It concerns me that 250,000 have not applied for a test. They should be forced to apply, once the backlog is down.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

It concerns me that 250,000 have not applied for a test. They should be forced to apply, once the backlog is down.
    There is nothing to say they are all active and currently driving, nor will drive in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

I'm a provisional license holder but due to circumstances would not be able to get enough driving experience to pass the test therefore I haven't applied to do it. I seldom drive as it is.

I'd be more than very annoyed if I was 'forced' to apply.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Anybody who has not passed the test should not be on the road. I include all those who got their license under the amnesty 20 years ago in that statement as well.

I personally would like to see a retest every 10 years brought in for all drivers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Iompair wrote:
    Anybody who has not passed the test should not be on the road.
    What are you on about? I drove around for a few years with L plates and never had an accident. When did the test I wasnt an better a driver then if I didnt bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Cullen is a mule!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

dodgyme wrote:
    What are you on about? I drove around for a few years with L plates and never had an accident. When did the test I wasnt an better a driver then if I didnt bother.

Then the thought of having to pass a test should be no worry to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Bluetonic wrote:
    There is nothing to say they are all active and currently driving, nor will drive in the future.

I passed my test at the second attempt, on my fifth provisional. However, I only drove for a couple of months on my second, and a couple on my fifth to pass my test. Licences issued, as you rightly observe, do not necessarily equate to learner drivers on the road. Most of my Provisional time was spent off the road.

Advertisement