Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self service

Options
  • 18-04-2007 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭

I was in my local Superquinn yesterday and was in a rush so used the self service check out. I scanned my items and swiped my card and was then issued with a receipt and sent on my merry way. I couldn't believe I wasn't asked for my pin at any point. How do they get away with not requiring verification of some sort?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Im not 100% sure but I think if you spend over a certain amount, a message comes up saying to wait for assistance when you swipe your card. At that point you have to sign a copy of the receipt for the checkout supervisor. Not sure about credit cards but this happened when I tried to pay for goods just over €40 with my Laser card

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I'm not sure how they're avoiding the chip and pin issue. Dunnes in Rathmines have card readers with keypads tied onto their self-service tills with cable ties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

If you shop in Superquinn, my advice is to check your receipt. I have been overcharged 5 times in the last 12 months and, strangely, I have never been undercharged. A mystery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Query where you stand in the case of fraud with the credit card company. Also ask at the customer service desk?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

ciaranfo wrote:
    Query where you stand in the case of fraud with the credit card company. Also ask at the customer service desk?

Since Chip & Pin came in, aren't retailers liable in case of fraud if the don't ask for the pin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

MOH wrote:
    Since Chip & Pin came in, aren't retailers liable in case of fraud if the don't ask for the pin?

I know Homebase still dont use chip and pin. I sent my wife in with my laser card and pin to get stuff and they accepted her signature, never even compared it to the card.... nice one Homebase !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

ergonomics wrote:
    I was in my local Superquinn yesterday and was in a rush so used the self service check out. I scanned my items and swiped my card and was then issued with a receipt and sent on my merry way. I couldn't believe I wasn't asked for my pin at any point. How do they get away with not requiring verification of some sort?

You have to spend over a certain amount. I work at self-service checkouts and the amount of people that give out about having to have their card verified.

"I've signed for this card in here loads of times before".

Feel like saying "So can you predict that your card wont be robbed in the future, genius"?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

They are Like Tesco in that they are accepting the liability (up to a certain amount) in order to speed up the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Smile next time you swipe the card - they take a photo of you when the card is swiped through.

Alos all card transaction are done "live", so if you report your card lost / stolen, within seconds the card is refused in each & every retail outlet world wide.

Advertisement