Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

User Policy

• 18-04-2007 3:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Lots of our users here save files locally rather than on the server which is a support pain in the ass. How should I stop this. Limit the partition to 1GB?

Also, has anyone got the written policy they use to give new employees?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Stopping users from saving stuff locally is the one of those magical things that escapes all companies. All you can do is provide them with network storage in easy reach, let them know that's it there and absloutely should be used for everything, and have a ruthless attitude when upgrading machines. ("Oh you had saved everything on your machine? Well, not a whole lot I can do now, it's been wiped. You'd been told to copy off everything you needed before I wiped it.")

You can get a policy off the web easy enough. Though most new users won't read them. Best thing is a short I.T. induction within their main induction that makes them aware of the dos and don'ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Icequeen

You can't stop it from the PC but what you can do is give them all roaming profiles with an automaticaly mapped drive to the shared folders, alot of people save things to their documents folder on their profile so if you give them a roaming profile then everytime they logon their profile will be reset so just tell them that anything saved locally will be erased by the next logon and they'll lose it, some smug f*ckers will still save things locally but when they come in the next day and it's gone they'll learn quick enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Create a GPO to do the following,

Map my documents to the users Home drive on the network
    For Laptop users Sync My documents when they log off
    Disable saving to the desktop
    Disable saving to the C drive.

Create a login message stating that the company is NOT responsible for any work that is not saved to each users my documents folder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Create a GPO to do the following,

Map my documents to the users Home drive on the network
    For Laptop users Sync My documents when they log off
    Disable saving to the desktop
    Disable saving to the C drive.

Create a login message stating that the company is NOT responsible for any work that is not saved to each users my documents folder.

Great. The thing is users need to have cookies and application settings. I suppose I just won't be able to disable saving to C.

Advertisement