Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat 'dandruff' due to flea drops?

• 18-04-2007 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Our cat picked up fleas in the last week or two. We pretty much confirmed it on Monday (saw 'grains of salt' in her coat) and brought her to the vet that evening - which we were going to do anyway to get her vaccine booster. She got her shot and the vet also gave us a tube of Advocate flea/mites etc drops which i applied that night. For the next 24 hrs or so she was very depressed (poor kitty!) but is coming round again now. Since last night we've noticed what appears to be dandruff in her coat. I do not believe that this is flea eggs as it is 'flakes' rather than 'grains'. Her coat is also less "prisitne" than usual which I presume is down to less grooming while she was sick.

My question is whether this 'dandruff' could be due to the flea drops? She has got similar drops (I don't *think* they were the same ones) before and had no trouble. She also had no trouble after her shot last year. In fact, she has never had any problem with her coat. The 'dandruff' seems to have just appeared after giving the drops. Or is it an allergic reaction to the fleas? (she hasn't been scratching at all and they should - hopefully - be all dead now). Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Leave it for a week or so and see if it gets better, could very well be a reaction from the fleas or the drops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi Padraig, it could be 'Cheyletiella' also know as walking dandruff. This is a fur mite. Flea treatments often don't work for it, if it is Cheyletiella, you will need a shampoo or ivermectin injection from the vet.

Nicola / hounds of love.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Thaks for the advice. Re cheyletiella: the 'dandruff' appeared pretty much overnight. Would this be the case with that condition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

It *could* just be dandruff - my cat gets that too whenever we use the flea spray, as that stuff is pretty harsh!

Monitor it for a day or two, if it's mites, you'll find out. Otherwise, it should go away after a while...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭houndsoflove

Hi Padraig, the walking dandruff can appear noticeable over night but could be living on your cat longer. Your best option is to go to the vet and ask him to do a skin/ hair scraping and check and see has your cat mites.

Nicola / hounds of love.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

The drops she got apparently kill mites as well so hopefully it's not 'walking dandruff'. It seems to be improving a bit now though and she's back to her usual self - fecking lunatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Sorry for reviving such an old thread, but my vet just gave me advocate to treat dandruff. I'm quite confused now. Should I still use it?

Advertisement