Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mobile phone programming? where to start?

Options
  • 18-04-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

i was thinking about starting doing some j2me (or any language really) programming for my phone . i was gonna write my own version of the aft (almost free texts)

i already know a good bit of programming, like c, python perl etc etc
    but i havent coded in java. it shouldnt take too long to get into the swing of things once i get a start though

any idea's where'd be a good web page to start learning from? any tutorials about how to get a jar file onto a phone etc and execute it?
    i have a 2310 at the moment - how can i even find out if this little heap a crap will actually run java? my bro might loan me a 6230i, i think that would be a much better bet as its a way better phone.

any can anyone point me towards a good place to start?
    all google shows up is companies selling phones themselves.

thanks!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Look for Moile phone SDKs. I think there's one for the Symbian OS, a Java one, and correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft Visual Studio supports mobile phone development as well.

If I remember right the Symbian SDK is free, and the Java one probably is as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

download netbeans,

and then the mobility pack for the version of netbeans you have.

http://www.netbeans.org/kb/articles/mobility.html

netbeans will give you a wysiwyg tool for building menus etc.

theres lots of tutorials online.

maybe you should learn some basic java first though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

and correct me if I'm wrong, but Microsoft Visual Studio supports mobile phone development as well.
    Only for windows smartphones and PDAs AFAIK, but it is excellent for those.

Advertisement