Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second thoughts about 4th year

• 18-04-2007 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭

Reasons being,I feel like it probably is a waste of a year and even though it's a year of fun and you have a break and stuff I'd like to get going.When I leave school I'd like to get into U.C.C. and either study law and Political science so I could give a try at politics,Do a degree in Psychology as I find it interesting,A degree in Architecture as I like to design stuff or try and study Medicine to become a Doctor.Personally I'd like to do something where I'm my own boss and/or have a high paying Job.I was also thinking of a cadet ship in the air core or something with private flying or so on.

But any way if I do 4th year it probably would be good for the experiences but will keep me back a year which I could skip.The school I'm in does seem to have a good 4th year but I dunno still,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

if iwas you i would post this in the leaving cert section because there wuill be peolpe there who have doen ty,and will give you thier opinion
    the ty forum is a bit mored bias in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well... TY tends to help with the points side of the leaving cert being that, most schools tend to secretly cover bits of the course in TY. However if you want to actually do stuff, as in, get into the LC course, you might be bored to tears in TY.
    Towards the end of the year I was itching to get into 5th year because I was sick of the TY stuff. That said, it's good to get a break from academics and all that, and TY helps you mature, etc. And can be fun! There's no need to be rushing to college really, as once that's over you're in the terrifying real world.

And don't become a doctor solely for the money! I don't want some person who has no passion for medicine fixing me. : p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055065534 - A few oponions of TY in this thread. You can get VERY bored in TY, so if you do decide to do it, get involved in as much as you can.

But it's not really a waste of a year, though it is fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

And don't become a doctor solely for the money! I don't want some person who has no passion for medicine fixing me. : p

Geeze no,I wouldn't do something for just money,I like helping people and it would be a good occupation,The money in it would just be a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Well if you're prepared to do lots in TY and use your time well then you can make the most of it, but if you're the kind of person who expects stuff to happen FOR you then you might be better in 5th year where you know exactly what you're supposed to be doing at any time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,252 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Seloth wrote:
    Geeze no,I wouldn't do something for just money,I like helping people and it would be a good occupation,The money in it would just be a bonus.

I suppose it might be a bonus being a doctor when you eventually start making money and stop having to work mental hours.
    You're talking mid 30s at the earliest before that happens - you realise that?

Not a job I would wish on my worst enemy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

Well I handed in my forum so I'm doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭X-Ecuti0ner

From what your saying you want to do i suggest doing fourth year. It might be a year of fun and a break but if you still do some study everynight and go ahead in the book ans stuff you should find the rest of the years easier.

Advertisement