Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rhubarb, rhubarb, rhubarb

Options
  • 18-04-2007 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Folks,

I have just moved house and have inherited a garden full of the stuff. Nearly every part, of what once was a lawn, is covered in the evil stiff. Every person whom I have asked "How do kill it ?" has come up blank.... Must i dig it out ?

Any suggestions for removing rhubarb ?

(before you say it - no I do not like the taste of rhubarb so 'making rhubarb tart until its all gone' is not a viable solution)

Many Thanks,
    Chopper

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Round Up - guaranteed!

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

Oh come on, rhubarb is much more interesting than grass any day. Plus, it might be giant rhubarb!! Think of the possibilities!

jinetts_1100801799_995.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

find someone who'll take the stalks first.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Systemic weedkiller now while its growing vigorously to kill it but you will be left with large woody roots pretty well on the surface of the soil, think you are going to have to do some digging.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

round up will kill everything grass rubarb weeds even you if you inhale spray from it keep away from pets and children

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,672 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

even offer them to the local garden centre - a bit late now, but someone in the garden centre may know a taker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭patrickolee

Please don't kill the lovely rhubarb ... it's such a brilliant plant.. It'll grow no matter how much you neglect it, people will admire it and it's edible!

Save the rhubarb.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

First don't think about weedkiller (it's awful stuff)

pull this years crop and sell it locally, veg shops, supermarkets love to get it tie in bundles of seven sticks, give some away. Also give some roots around to people, lots would love to grow a bit in a corner of their garden..

Dig out any leftovers and dump them. Much better than spraying...

let us know how you get on....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

yeah, dig it out. be careful with the roundup it's lethal stuff!!!

once it's weakened it'll die off. If you could keep an odd plant or two till september or so you could donate it to a local school or organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

I rem a guy and his kids used to bring a small car trailer full of the stuff to the local saturday market for weeks on end ..... always went home with an empty trailer .... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

Well I dug half and sprayed half - took a second application of Roundup on some of them - tough plant.

looksee wrote:
    .....but you will be left with large woody roots pretty well on the surface of the soil, think you are going to have to do some digging.....

I couldn't get over the size of the roots on these things. Looks like I will have to rotivate the whole garden before planting a new lawn.

Thanks for all the suggestions ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

eh yea, so... that didn't work.
    even after the second application of Roundup they still live !
    looks like I'll be digging the rest of them up.
    any other chemicals I could use?

if you're going to be digging them up anyway, why bother with chemicals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I think spray should be sprayed on full plant so leaves can absorb it down into the roots.
    At least thats the case with dock leaves which has very big roots also
    some plants can only be sprayed at certin times of the year ask where they sell the spray

Advertisement