Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feedback regarding my post

Options
  • 18-04-2007 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭

I need a favour from you all. Can you have a look at the following thread and let me know what you think of my post, and the subsequent response from the moderator (about 50% of the way down the page)? It'll make more sense if you read from the 2nd post on the page by Evolute.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055057039&page=23

Basically, there is a 12 year old lad who likes to play Airsoft and posts on the forum, but most Airsoft locations have age limits of 14 or 16. I made a controversial joke about what age we should say this lad was, if anyone from these locations where to ask.

Was my post unacceptable, irresponsible and harmful to boards.ie, myself or the image of Airsoft (I know you may not be familiar with the sport)?

This is really bugging me because it's a reoccuring issue whereby I post something that I see as being completely harmless, but I get complaints from 1 or 2 other users of the forum or the moderator. I really hate all this arguing and want to put a stop to it.

If I'm at fault, then I'll apologise to everyone and be alot more careful with future posts. I just honestly can't see what I did wrong.

Please note that I'm not looking for negative comments about the moderator. I'm more interested in whether or not my post appropriate and responsible. This is about my behaviour and my concept of what is acceptable vs what others may think.

Thanks for any comments and the time spent reading the posts. It's appreciated.

Cheers,
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It seems like a harmless comment blown out of all proportion by the Mod. although he does make reference that your comments have caused controversy in the past so I can't say whether he is right or wrong. Still seems a bit much considering the comment was a fairly light hearted joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Your initial comment doesn't sound any worse than the "my cousin in America has sent me the latest episode of <insert tv program that was torrented> ;) " posts you get in the various TV forums (used to, anyway).

However, your follow ups did not come across as constructive at all. IMO, you should have sent a polite PM to the mod explaining that it was joke, and ask why it is a bannable offence.
    This thread was derailed the moment you chose to publicly warn me instead of using a PM.

Other posters should also know what the mod deems acceptable or not. If someone makes a comment that the mod deems is a banning offence, then it is a much more transparent process if s/he comments on the topic to tell you that.

Using comments like "over zealous moderating" etc won't help your cause one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Was my post unacceptable, irresponsible and harmful to boards.ie, myself or the image of Airsoft (I know you may not be familiar with the sport)?
    Yes, quite simply. It's akin to agreeing that we will lie to pub owners in order to allow underage boards users to go to the pub with us. It could be breaking any number of laws, and it does indeed bring the reputation of the forums into disrepute.
    My main concern is the legal angle. People *are* watching this site, waiting to pounce on items that could cause legal hassle. This isn't paranoia or being nannyish. As publisher, boards.ie is liable for what you post here. Your disclaimer is pointless and useless.

Conspiring to defraud businesses, individuals or any other organisations will not be accepted. Reading your post now, it's not an obvious joke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

MY POST WAS A BLOODY OBVIOUS JOKE THAT NO SANE PERSON WOULD TAKE SERIOUSLY!!!!!
    You are forgetting lawyers, they quite frequently aren't sane.

I know your post looks harmless enough and if it came out in normal conversation nobody would bat an eyelid, but you have to bear in mind that there are a myriad of stupid people in the world. Some people just seem to like to cause trouble.

I've only been on this site for just over a year, and already I've witnessed plenty of legal threats against boards for the most ridiculous things.

I know that you weren't serious about that post, and o1s1n does too, but it's the type of thing that the mods have to take a hard line on just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

o1s1n wrote:
    If a moderator warns you not to do something you should just take it on the chin and move on.

meh

I don't know the history on the forum at all, but ffs why don't you just read what he said. He's being protective of boards, maybe he might even think that he's overreacting, but the simple fact is that he asked you not to make jokes involving 12 year olds lying about their age on what seems to be a boards-organised excursion and that's all. It doesn't seem that he was picking on you, just trying to protect the forum that you all enjoy.

Don't forget that plain text removes a lot of the emotion from what you were trying to joke about and if your comment was quoted out of context (say, by a red top paper covering the story of Ireland's biggest online community), it could look bad.

So, your question, is it harmful? No, but potentially it might be (in an insane world inhabited mainly by cheap journalists and lawyers).

Just go airsofting and forget about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only after seeing this now. I ask someone to use the feedback forum yet forget to check it myself. doh...

Anyway,
    This is the 4th such incident I have had with this user in the last 6 months. None of which he has been banned for. So I really did find that "over zealous" moderator bit a kick in the face.

I have asked him several times to please be careful when posting about younger interested players as it's quite a dodgy area given the nature of the sport. Not to mention all skirmish sites require you to be above a certain age. Yet he persists.That is why I had such a problem with the post in question.

Every time I have warned him (Bar the first in which he acknowledged he was wrong), a persecution complex kicks in. As if I somehow have it in for him. That is certainly not the case. I am simply looking out for the good of our sport and boards.ie.

As I said back in that thread;

Ultimately, there is two ways this can go.

1. You start posting responsibly.
    2. You continue the way you are going and get banned.

Now, believe it or not, I actually do like you and would personally much rather prefer situation number 1. However, if needs be, I can go with 2. It is up to you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

12 if we ask.

14 if Paul asks.

16 if any of the Predator staff ask.

;)

Speaking as a parent, if I was to hear that my 12 year old got into some place he shouldn't have been thanks to some fellas on an internet site I'd be more than a bit pissed and would be getting to the bottom of how that happened.
    In fairness his parents should be keeping an eye on his internet activities, but at the end of the day, it is Boards who will take the blame for something like that if the parent was to take issue.
    You may have meant it as a joke, but there are many people out there who wouldn't care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Thank you everyone for the helpful replies.

eoin_s, I think you are right. My followup posts were not as constructive as they could have been. I get a bit defensive when I percieve I am being publicly reprimanded for something I don't agree was objectionable to begin with.

seamus, I can see where you are coming from. But remember, my reply was not actually to the 12 year old lad in question. It was to an adult. At no time did I tell the lad to lie about his age. Also, while many sites have self-imposed age limits, there are no legal age limits for airsoft. Anyone can play.
    I'm aware that the whole MCD legal incident has made it's mark and perhaps left the moderators/owners of boards.ie a little protective (perhaps overly so??) of the site.

Blowfish, the issue about 'insane' people making 'legal threats against boards for the most ridiculous things', is something that had cropped up quite often in the airsoft forum due to the nature of the sport and the opposition to it. I fully support being careful about what is posted, but I feel we have to draw the line somewhere reasonable. If someone is determined enough, they can find, twist and manipulate any number of statements or posts into something to use as ammunition. Do we really want a forum where you have to triple check your posts to ensure that it can't be misunderstood, twisted or misquoted?

edanto, I'm aware that emotion does not convey well in text. But I figured that the smiley emoticon used at the end of my post would clearly indicate the the post was as joke. It's a universally accepted smiley and everyone understands its meaning.

Beruthiel, as mentioned above, I never told the lad to lie about his age. My post was a reply to a question posed by an adult. There was zero chance of this lad actually lying. Also, the 2 groups/people I joked about lying to, actually read the forum and most likely would have seen the post (and laughed at it).

And finally,

o1s1n, I do apologise about the 'over zealous moderating' statement. That was uncalled for. Sorry. For the 3 other incidents, I feel they were similar to this one and not deserving of reprimand. My problem is that perhaps I give people too much credit. I truly don't believe anyone of consequence would possibly have issue with my post. And even if that one-in-a-million person did complain, the vast majority of people would have enough sense to dismiss their complaint. I just can't see how my posts could be used in an logical argument against airsoft, and there are certainly no legal ramifications for boards.ie since airsoft itself has no legal restrictions.

I'm well aware that you are not 'having a go' at me personally. There is no persecution complex I assure you. I'm just quite passionate about defending myself if I feel I have been wronged. Call it a personality flaw if you like, but I won't stand by while someone threatens to ban me for something I feel is undeserving.

Now, it appears that the majority here agree that my original post was harmless but could potentially be harmful if misread by some people. And the majority also feel my response was over-the-top. So, I will not make any further jokes regarding younger players, or anything that could be worthy of legal attention. And if I do have a dispute with your decisions as a moderator, I shall PM you in future instead of posting publicly.

My thanks again to everyone who replied for your opinions. They were most useful.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

btw Crazy
    You sig is against Boards rules in size, can you make it smaller before the Sig Police delete it on you.

Beruthiel wrote:
    btw Crazy
    You sig is against Boards rules in size, can you make it smaller before the Sig Police delete it on you.

Really? Ooops... I wasn't aware. What is the maiximum size? I'll change it shortly, but have a meeting to run to right now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thaedydal wrote:

Cheers. Sig changed.

Might I suggest a 'new user' pack be put together and sent to new forum users. It would contain a full list of all the rules, and information about general forum etiquette etc. (oh, and sorry for going a little off-topic with that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

There is a one being put together by one of the S-Mods here I think. Also when you register, I think it does give you a link to the Newbies/FAQs forum, under Sys menu where the general rules and info are located. New users can throw out any questions they have and they will be answered.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

To be fair to you, its obviously an off the cuff comment meant as a joke in a nudgenudge winkwink manner. To be fair to the Mod, its not like he shot your family as a result.

He gave you a public slap with some short language. If it was the first time he had to reprimand you then it might be too short but I dont think theres anything wrong with a bit of "firmness of tone" from a moderator... otherwise people run over them.

Airsoft/Paintball is one of those sports that walks a fine line and needs to keep its nose particularly clean. I think the mod was being sensitive to that. Perhaps you might be too?

In the end, noone is dead. Noone is even so much as temp-banned.
    Might I cheekily suggest that if rough words bother you untowardly... perhaps Airsoft isnt your thing :p

DeV

DeVore wrote:
    To be fair to you, its obviously an off the cuff comment meant as a joke in a nudgenudge winkwink manner. To be fair to the Mod, its not like he shot your family as a result.

He gave you a public slap with some short language. If it was the first time he had to reprimand you then it might be too short but I dont think theres anything wrong with a bit of "firmness of tone" from a moderator... otherwise people run over them.

Airsoft/Paintball is one of those sports that walks a fine line and needs to keep its nose particularly clean. I think the mod was being sensitive to that. Perhaps you might be too?

In the end, noone is dead. Noone is even so much as temp-banned.
    Might I cheekily suggest that if rough words bother you untowardly... perhaps Airsoft isnt your thing :p

DeV
    Never had a problem with anyone at any airsoft game. And likewise, nobody has had a problem with me. It's all in good fun. Airsoft is most definitely my thing. The moderator (Oisin) and I get on well at airsoft. We just disagree about what's appropriate for posting here on boards.ie, and especially the airsoft forum.

I take your point though about the post/response though. And I agree about having to be extra careful to keep airsoft safe, but where do we draw the line? Should all jokes be out-of-bounds?

Previously I made a comment in the airsoft thread about making/selling crossbows as a young kid (stupid and illegal I know now), and was reprimanded for that. It was stated that it made me look irresponsible as an adult, and therefore damaging the image of airsoft. Was that really damaging to airsoft?...recounting something from 20+ years ago that I did as a young child???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

After reading through it all I think the Mod was correct, and in fact maybe a temp ban would have been justified. You have a bit of 'form' from the looks of things so take your slap on the wrist like a man and move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I think s/he already did...

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yes, I think this has been quite a reasonable query and resolution.

I wish people who were perma-banned would take this approach, of course, if they were reasonable people they probably wouldnt get Permabanned in the first place.

I think we can stick a fork in this.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,951 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Previously I made a comment in the airsoft thread about making/selling crossbows as a young kid (stupid and illegal I know now), and was reprimanded for that. It was stated that it made me look irresponsible as an adult, and therefore damaging the image of airsoft. Was that really damaging to airsoft?...recounting something from 20+ years ago that I did as a young child???

Well, seeing as we're dragging up old posts..

You left out one major point. The thread you posted that comment in was called "Total ban on the way?" and was a discussion about the potential banning of the sport in Ireland. You posting about how you made/sold illegal weapons as a kid to other kids was not exactly the smartest of ideas. Especially given the seriousness of the topic at hand. How you could think otherwise is beyond me.

Again, I did not ban you, I just warned you. Something you could have just accepted and left at that. The resulting arguments you drag me into are extremely non constructive and totally messes up the discussion. They could be seen as a temp ban offenses in themselves. That is why I may have seemed so "short" this time. I'd rather keep things to the point than derail more threads.

Anyway yes, fork well and truly stuck.

Advertisement