Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch for GTI

Options
  • 18-04-2007 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,

Can anybody tell me roughly how much a new clutch would cost for a 2000 registered Golf GTI? Does the new clutch come with a flywheel too as part of the kit?

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Tanabe wrote:
    Hey Guys,

Can anybody tell me roughly how much a new clutch would cost for a 2000 registered Golf GTI? Does the new clutch come with a flywheel too as part of the kit?

Any help appreciated!

I'd say 500-600 Euro. Clutch doesn't come with a flywheel. Some new clutches are called a "Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)" type clutch which incorporates the flywheel (which has damper springs in it), and a cover assembly and a solid clutch disc (Skoda Octavia's for example). The clutch in your car is a VW 200MM "back 2 front" type clutch as far as I know, no more expensive than a conventional clutch. There's a website you can check this on, what type of clutch goes into your car:

http://www.valeoservice.com/html/unitedkingdom/en/

Click on valeo Web Calaog on the top right corner of the page and browze from there...

Also check out www.luk.com for general clutch info...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Parts should be no more than 300 IIRC. From reference, I got a full kit (IE pressure plate, friction disc & release bearing) for a 1.6 Passat from otto.ie for 250-odd.

Im not sure if this applies to you particular model, but the 1.8T beetle we have in the US has the dual-mass setup which is meant to suck. Seemingly a lot of people have experienced premature clutch wear with this setup and in many cases replace them with a VR6 setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Darragh29 wrote:
    I'd say 500-600 Euro. Clutch doesn't come with a flywheel. Some new clutches are called a "Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF)" type clutch which incorporates the flywheel (which has damper springs in it), and a cover assembly and a solid clutch disc (Skoda Octavia's for example). .

I don't know about VWs, but most DMFs I have seen are just flywheels to which the clutch bolts on.

The DMF isn't the cause of premature clutch wear, but the springs in the flywheel can go slack, and the car starts to sound like the gearbox is about to fall out. It happened us with a 3yo Avensis.

I know people fit the VR6 flywheel to some TDIs, I don't know precisely about the GTI, but putting in a solid flywheel is going to increase torsional resonance, which has the potential to damage the drivetrain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Thanks for the replies Guys;)

I got quoted between €200 & €500 for the clutch, the Garage I'm dealing with said they won't know until they get the code from the gearbox which clutch I'll need.

@Darragh29:

Thanks for that link. I must look up which part I'll need for my particular model & try & gauge from there (including labour & vat) how bad my pocket is gonna feel come next week!

Advertisement