Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland: Thank you

• 18-04-2007 5:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Thought I would start this thread. What an incredible journey (in more ways then one!). Full credit. Ireland were immense in this world cup. They did not deserve the score against SL at the end but thank you so much for the memories! You have done us so proud.

We all know the competition for sport in this country but we will never ever forget how you knocked out Pakistan and proved yourselves as 'best of the rest' by comprehensively beating Bangladesh and putting us in the ICC rankings.

Hopefully cricket moves on from here in Ireland. Fair play and thank you very much for such an entertaining period in Irish sport:) :):):)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Seconded. Hear, hear. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

3rd that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭loosecannon

I was just going to start a similar thread saying thanks for all the memories, it has been an absolutely unbelievable and incredible few weeks and despite being in Australia for all of it and every game starting at midnight, i managed to pretty much watch every single ball of Ireland's games

I think for me what was so special about all of Ireland's adventures in the tournament was that feeling of how important it was to all of these amateur sportsmen, with not a single one of them being there for the financial rewards. It somehow makes the emotions of everything attached to the game seem more real, if you compare the joy that greeted an Irish wicket compared to that of any of the English games, it tells the entire story

To all the lads, you deserve all that comes to you, may it be whatever they want, prosperity, fame or maybe even that county contract they want!

On a final note, to the administrators of Irish cricket, you have a Golden opportunity here, please please please do not mess it up a la Kenya in 2003, make the game prosper as it should and spread the good gospel of the greatest game around the country

It is now 4 am in Sydney and i am waffling, here's to the Irish Cricket team and here's to the underdog, the lads deserve all the drink they can have tonight!

gl all

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

For while they lost heavily in their final game, Birrell and his men have been among the biggest winners in this competition.

Says it all really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Anyone know if there's any plans for a public reception for the lads?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,605 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Anyone know if there's any plans for a public reception for the lads?

There definitely should be some sort of homecoming.

Id like to extend my well done to the boys. A fantastic performance. And they never ever gave up trying. Also they showed the rest ofthe teams how to have FUN on the pitch and still do well.

A true credit to the nation and another remarkable sporting feat from this small Island.

*Kev gets all emotional*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Yep, they really should be given a great welcome home. So long since there's been an emergence of any kind in Irish sport a la Stephen Roche, Soccer team in 1998-1990, Ken Doherty. Fair play to them, they gave it a run with best and set a great platform in the country for a game most people wouldnt have given a second thought to 3 months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

Ireland won their World Cup. They got further than anyone could have dreamed.

Full ODI status on their first attempt is unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Even sky have had to aknowledge their greatness. They had a recap of all the games earlier. Some brilliant moments alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i must admit i followed and was more interested in the irish games than the english ones.
    fair fcuks to all concerned with the irish team,putting cricket on the map in this country and earning a lot of respect through out cricket supporting world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Let's all do the funky chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 TommyGrav

Let's all do the funky chicken.

A group of people in one place all doing that dance would actually be the most hilarious thing ever. If there's a homecoming this must be a requirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Great sutff from the lads. Beat all expectations. Hopefully it will kick on from here and they can put in some good performances against the county sides this year.

Who'll be the overseas players for us this year?

Marshy wrote:
    Who'll be the overseas players for us this year?

There was a young South African* but as far as I know he got injured and may not play now.

*(maybe West Indian)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭triple h

I never watched cricket in my life until a few weeks ago, i sat down to see an ireland game. After 15 minutes i understood the game ( i never understood it before) and after half an hour i was, hmm hmm an expert.

I think cricket is a great game and thanks to the irish lads i watch it now and like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

KevIRL wrote:
    There was a young South African* but as far as I know he got injured and may not play now.

*(maybe West Indian)

Yup - he's crocked.

http://www.cricketeurope4.net/DATABASE/ARTICLES/articles/000042/004213.shtml

No news on a replacement yet.

:D I think (though it seems like ages ago) that knocking out Pakistan was the main achievement. It only hits home much later how big that was. Watch it again;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_U4gwcQoMs

And a more humourous take by Pakistan fans not too impressed:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXPCge4eUxE

Just to say the lads will be on with Pat tomorrow night on the late late. Interesting to see how that goes.

Marshy wrote:
    Just to say the lads will be on with Pat tomorrow night on the late late. Interesting to see how that goes.
    nice one marshy,you dont know what time they will be on at?

• Advertisement

Fraid not. Just heard about it in the paper.

well missed it due to a rather late night in work,did anyone catch it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Yeh I saw some of it. Pretty good. Pat made Langford Smith do the ferret :D

hopefully it will be on youtube at some stage

Didnt see the Late Late unfortunately, but I did see the lads do the 'crossbar challenge' on Soccer AM this morning. Some woeful shots. Good craic tho. Typically they all looked like they were having a ball

There is a repeat on Monday night, late..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

saw them on the late late, did a good job!!

anyway, the legacy, there were 3 different groups playing cricket in my school today!! never saw anyone playing it before!!! and the membership of the local club has swelled or so i heard!!

Here here. Their attitude to the game was inspiring.

Nantie hayward will be an overseas player for Ireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6609255.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Johnathon Agnew
    World Cup leaves sour taste
    Jonathan Agnew - BBC cricket correspondent 29 Apr 07, 08:06 AM
    It was a deeply frustrating World Cup - the third in a row that has spectacularly failed to live up to its billing - and one that will be remembered more for events off the field than glorious deeds on it.
    The mysterious death of Bob Woolmer some time during the night after Pakistan’s shock defeat to Ireland, devastated the tournament. Even now it still seems incredulous that such a universally liked and respected man might have been murdered because of his involvement with cricket.
    We still don’t know the outcome of the police inquiry in Jamaica, which completely overshadowed the World Cup – but early in the piece we were treated to two firsts: Herschelle Gibbs hitting six sixes off the unfortunate Daan van Bunge in St Kitts and the wild-haired Lasith Malinga almost routing South Africa with the first instance of four wickets in four balls in international cricket.

Oh that England could have produced anything remotely as entertaining or productive. They were insipid and uninspired, and their campaign was poorly planned. A miserable winter ended with the resignation of the coach, Duncan Fletcher.
    Although their win over West Indies was one of the highlights of the World Cup, the quality of English cricket – and particularly its attitude towards one-day cricket finds itself under review - just 18 months after the triumph of winning the Ashes.
    And that’s not all that’s under review. The format of the tournament, and the petty rules that stifled the natural enthusiasm of Caribbean cricket lovers, need to be urgently addressed.
    Forty-nine days is far too long - there was no momentum for the players or the supporters - and after weeks of empty stands because of overpricing, the ridiculous rules that even included the need for conch shells to be registered before being blown were revoked.
    You won’t find Ireland or Bangladesh complaining about any aspect of the tournament but it is clearly a dreadful error to devise a World Cup that can allow the remotest possibility of India and Pakistan being knocked out before it really gets going.
    But the so-called minnows took their chance with Bangladesh beating India and South Africa, while Ireland then comfortably won the showdown between the two. That win - and the earlier one against Pakistan - should do wonders for cricket on the Emerald Isle.
    The bottom line is, however, that there was not nearly enough exciting cricket played and the whole thing took far too long. Worse still the farcical final, which could have been played over two days, remember, was an embarrassment to anyone associated with cricket.
    What an appalling advert for the game it was - and those responsible must never be allowed to administer a cricket tournament again

You have to love that eletist tosh.It is India and Pakistans fault they did not get through, they were both beaten twice by minnows fair and square. To blame the minnows for the lack of quality games in the super 8's is absurd their was six other teams in it to produce some quality games.They played each other enough to produce some quality games.

Marshy wrote:
    Nantie hayward will be an overseas player for Ireland

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6609255.stm

Keep a count of those wides... they don't call him wayward Hayward for nothing :D

mikeruurds wrote:
    Keep a count of those wides... they don't call him wayward Hayward for nothing :D

Welcome back, Mike. Enforced absence or lying low after SA's "performance"? :D

DMC wrote:
    Welcome back, Mike. Enforced absence or lying low after SA's "performance"? :D

A bit of both actually :D We've been moving house from the ghetto's of Clondalkin to Blackrock ;)

I was hopeful that SA could at least push Aussie, but I wasn't too surprised that they got whalloped. We don't have an out-and-out quickie or a decent spinner. A world champion side needs to conquer their opposition in the field and at bat. Unfortunately we just don't have the skills at the moment.

At least now that I'm living southside I can get a bit more involved in club cricket!

Cheers
    Mike

Good stuff. You might see kids properly using bats 'round there :D

DMC wrote:
    Good stuff. You might see kids properly using bats 'round there :D
    lol:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Drummer-OV-

in my school in south-east dublin there has been an extra 50players after what ireland did....before the world cup there was half the amount of people intrestes in cricket than today thanks ireland.....good luck in the future!!

That's the cool thing about our new house... the kids actually play on the green and don't lurk around the front of our place.

The wife is most pleased :)

in my school in south-east dublin there has been an extra 50players after what ireland did....before the world cup there was half the amount of people intrestes in cricket than today thanks ireland.....good luck in the future!!

Yes... thanks Ireland. Hopefully now when the word "cricket" is mentioned in open conversation, it won't be answered with yawns, eye-rolling and talk of garrison games and "those bloody English".

mikeruurds wrote:
    Yes... thanks Ireland. Hopefully now when the word "cricket" is mentioned in open conversation, it won't be answered with yawns, eye-rolling and talk of garrison games and "those bloody English".
    Yeah thats very true alright and what I was hoping before the tournament. Amazing what some exposure can do.

Its a question of sustaining some of the growing popularity however. The fear is that in a few months time it will all be forgotten. But Im sure there'll be many who will take up the game now on a long term basis.

Oh and the government better follow through on their promise of a 10,000 seater ground. "No fear of that" I hear you all say. :D

Marshy wrote:
    Yeah thats very true alright and what I was hoping before the tournament. Amazing what some exposure can do.

Its a question of sustaining some of the growing popularity however. The fear is that in a few months time it will all be forgotten. But Im sure there'll be many who will take up the game now on a long term basis.

Oh and the government better follow through on their promise of a 10,000 seater ground. "No fear of that" I hear you all say. :D

Bertie bowl no. 2 :D

• Advertisement

Look - you lads like cricket - right? - Youve (and I mean the Irish team AND supporters) have a hell of a job to do to get the sport going here. Your competing with GAA, soccer and rugby. I have to say I cant see cricket hanging on here, disappointing though it is, because Ive learned a thing or two about the game. The elitism is the biggest thing to overcome.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

darkman2 wrote:
    Look - you lads like cricket - right? - Youve (and I mean the Irish team AND supporters) have a hell of a job to do to get the sport going here. Your competing with GAA, soccer and rugby. I have to say I cant see cricket hanging on here, disappointing though it is, because Ive learned a thing or two about the game. The elitism is the biggest thing to overcome.

Fair enough. Can you explain the elitism, as you see it? I'm not sure what you mean.

I come from a country where cricket is played by people from all socio-economic backgrounds and from age 5 up to 60+.

Kids play it in the street with threadbare tennis balls and planks of wood. Those kids have dreams of playing for their national side and are not excluded from selection, they are in fact supported financially and encouraged.

I don't see cricket as being elitist at all.

Sorry.

darkman2 wrote:
    Your competing with GAA, soccer and rugby. I have to say I cant see cricket hanging on here, disappointing though it is, because Ive learned a thing or two about the game. The elitism is the biggest thing to overcome.
    As people have said already, you'd want to be going by the age-old stereotypes to be saying theres elitism to overcome. Perhaps thats just what people perceive, but who in reality are quite ignorant of the situation.

In truth there are virtually no barriers to stop anyone starting the game. Though I can understand if you mean the perceived elitism by certain people. As in "cricket's a bloody middle class brit game". That mindset does still have to be overcome in some quarters.

OK, sorry should have been clearer. Anyone who watched the world cup will be familar with the attitude im talking about. Look at the beeb blogs and forums and cricket sites out there or their opinion and what pretty much all of them say is that Ireland 'should not have been allowed' progress. I mean, whats that all about? Could you imagine if FIFA's opinion was like that. You cannot grow a sport without minnows. Minnows have to learn and progress and get the population behind them. This does not help. OK so its the old guys saying this stuff but it does not look good. There is elitism in all sports but ive never seen anything like there is in cricket, Surely you guys would admit that much - that there is an issue there. Look how its set up for gods sake. Irish players having to play for England etc etc. OK it should be promoted here and all that but if elitism is not such a bad thing in cricket why do most people not see a future for the sport here? Im only giving my personal opinion. Having watched the WC I like the sport but am disappointed with the percieved boundaries ahead (forgive the pun!). Its like Irish cricket is up against a brick wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Part of the problem here I think is your misunderstanding of the pundit's frustrations, and that as an Irishman you're taking their criticism of the tournament structure personally.

The pundits were frustrated because basically the format of the world cup was put in place so that the minnows would get a run out for 3 games and then once they were gone the tournament proper would start. This backfired horribly, and resulted in two of the world's top sides in India and Pakistan leaving the tournament at a very early stage. It was a poor format and quite foolish to just assume the minnows would lose, but if you knew much about cricket prior to the world cup you'd know that the chances Ireland beating Pakistan again anytime soon are very slim.

The tournament as a whole was badly run, badly schedueled, too long and and quite boring as far as spectators were concerned. Australia ran away with it, never looking like getting beat. And Ireland were involved in their fair share of no contests in the super 8 stage.

Put yourself in the place of a neutral, or just a non Irishman, you don't care about how Ireland do. You want to see the highest standard of cricket but instead you're watching Ireland getting destroyed by Australia, South Africa, New Zealand. Ok Ireland did provide some very entertaining matches for the neutral, but I'm sure people would be thinking about what Rahul Dravid and Sachin Tendulkar could have been doing. Yes I know India didn't earn their place in the super 8 stage and that Bangladesh deserved to be there, but the fact a tournament structure existed where they could be home after a week or so of a 7 week tournament is what the pundits were ultimately upset about. If there was a super 10 stage instead of a super 8 stage, and it included Pakistan and India then you wouldn't be hearing anybody bitching about the minnows. Well maybe after Ireland took those very heavy defeats, but to nowhere near the same extent as they did because they were in the super 8 stage at Pakistan's expense.

Some of what was said by the pundits was quite insulting towards Irish cricket, but the main problem was the anti-minnow tournament structure that backfired badly. Everyone knows Ireland beat Pakistan and earned their right to play in the super 8 stage. It's just some people assumed that would never happen, and when it did I guess the idea of a super 8 stage suddenly became a problem when it meant that Pakistan and India could go home after 3 games.

What Ireland achieved at the expense of Pakistan will probably leave its mark on the next world cup. I'd expect to see a tournament structure with less chance of a big name being knocked out early... which will mean there won't be so much riding on the first few games. This will probably be a good thing for the minnows as they'll probably get more games. I would be guessing there'll be less minnows in the next tournament though. As valuable as Ireland and Bangladesh were to the tournament if you were to give them more guaranteed games next time round, you'd have to give the likes of Barbados & co more games too.

Maybe they could have 12 teams instead of 16 and start with 2 groups of 6. Top 2 or 4 sides from each group going through to semi or quarter finals.

Irish cricket is up against it though when it comes to hanging on to their players. I mean if you were an Irish cricketer who was good enough to play at test level... would you sacrifice your own career to support the growth of the game in Ireland in a potentially futile effort? Sorry, but I know I wouldn't. And let's not get into that you can achieve your goals at club level shite again.

You've just started watching cricket. You may not realise that it will be another 4 years at least before the Irish cricket team will be on the world stage again, if they qualify for the next world cup. And you would never be able to play at the highest level of the game, test cricket.

Ireland have just announced a second overseas player, bit of an unknown.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/counties/6639039.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

my girlie comes from new brighton. i've often stopped and watched them play for a few moments... have to admit i didn't notice any standouts.:D

Less said about the game earlier the better. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

very poor effort to be fair, I do hope they win a game soon, these type of beatings could destroy all the good work of the world cup.
    Also as I cant be bothered to start a seperate thread, 3/1 for Bangledesh to win the second ODI against India is a great bet. India are a really poor team and needed a superb performance from Dhoni who looks really tired to sneak over the line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement