Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This Arsenal Situation...

• 18-04-2007 6:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Dein just left the club
    Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has left the club with immediate effect because of "irreconcilable differences" with the rest of the board.

American billionaire Stan Kroenke has bought 9.9% of Arsenal and more shares from major stakeholder Danny Fiszman.

It sparked takeover talk, but chairman Peter Hill-Wood played down moves.

He revealed remaining board members, who own 45.45% of the remaining shares, had agreed not to dispose of their shares for at least one year.

In a statement, Hill-Wood said: "On behalf of the board I would like to express our gratitude to David Dein for the many years of loyal service he has given to the club.

"We sincerely regret that irreconcilable differences between Mr. Dein and the rest of the board have necessitated a parting of the ways.?

Doesn't Dein own a ****load of shares, like about 15%?
    Looks like a takeover is a possibility, with the board seemingly fighting against it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

was Dein pro or anti the American invovement ?

in the long term Arseanl will need financial assistance, if they are to keep up with Liverpool, Chelsea ... its been a while since theyve made a major purchase, and there young superstars , need assistance which will cost money , they can't keep relying on Wegners magic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Dein just left the club

Doesn't Dein own a ****load of shares, like about 15%?
    Looks like a takeover is a possibility, with the board seemingly fighting against it

Who'll reprensent them at the FA now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nobody knows, but it's no secret that Dein is a business man.
    It is reported that Dein - who still owns 14.5 per cent of the club's shares - was keen on selling to Kroenke, but that was in stark contrast to the remaining shareholders Danny Fiszman, Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith, Hill-Wood and the Carr family.

The Gunners have now confirmed that Dein - who is still chairman of the G-14 group - has departed Emirates Stadium after he clashed with fellow members of the board.

It looks like there is going to be a fight for control, but there seems to be a large minority who are opposed to it. That said, if he gets the other 55%, he'll be in control, and eventually, they'll sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:

David Gill? He replaced him on the FA Board last June.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

more fun for the Arsenal. hope all this board room crap doesn't unsettle the (already fairly fragile) mindset of the players and staff further.

• Advertisement

David Gill? He replaced him on the FA Board last June.

Don't be flirting with me ya hussey, Lemlin will get jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Muppet wrote:
    Don't be flirting with me ya hussey, Lemlin will get jealous.

Stop poking that fire.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Stop acting the muppet, muppet ;)

Dont know what to make of this. Dein was key in brining Wenger to Arsenal. He is a big loss the club over all IMO.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Fingers crossed he will be back. Couldn't give a toss about the rest of the Arsenal board, but Dein is a big loss. He's a football man and is just pure Arsenal. I'd swap him and Kroenke for the rest of the board in a flash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

I think he wanted to go down the Business route and take the Americans on board, and their money

I dont think Peter hill Wood or the other members of the board did so out he went

Pity cause the guy has vision certainly with Arsene maybe not so much with Bruce Rioch

In the end its a business and we need the money to compete with the Chavs and the Mancs so something Big may happen in the summer with Stan Kroenke:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    ....large minority...
    Is that not an oxymoron?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Nope

hmmm

its like a battle between old money and new -- if they stick with the old money, such as Hill Wood , the team will suffer , and they will be left behind by Liverpool and Chelsea . The reality is its only foreigners , such as wealthy Americans , who are prepared to invest heavily , i can't remember a serious English investor, since Jack Walker died . My team Everton, have been left behind financially and on the pitch , since the late eighties , and become an all so ran , due to lack of investemnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

so I read that Wenger may well reconsider his position after this, seeing as Dein was his greatest ally within the club (Times said it may even be his relationship with Dein that kept Dein on the board so long)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Quite powerful in the official circuits (FA etc) too. Hope he'll be back because he is an integral part of the success Wenger has achieved.

For anyone interested, The Beautiful Game by David Conn will tell you a bit more about Dein, its a great read also btw.

Apparently Wenger and Dein had dinner at a restaurant in North London on Tuesday and both seemed happy so you'd have to think that Wenger knew he'd be going.

Apparently Wenger and Dein had dinner at a restaurant in North London on Tuesday and both seemed happy so you'd have to think that Wenger knew he'd be going.

He was sacked, I doubt either knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

thebaz wrote:
    its like a battle between old money and new -- if they stick with the old money, such as Hill Wood , the team will suffer , and they will be left behind by Liverpool and Chelsea . The reality is its only foreigners , such as wealthy Americans , who are prepared to invest heavily , i can't remember a serious English investor, since Jack Walker died . My team Everton, have been left behind financially and on the pitch , since the late eighties , and become an all so ran , due to lack of investemnt.

You do realise the americans are in it for the investment part and will make every penny back.

Tbh Hill Wood is right, american companies dont invest in anything that will lose them money only gain it. Overseas tv deal FTW!!!

kdjac

The Muppet wrote:
    He was sacked, I doubt either knew.
    Dein has known since Monday. He was told he had to either back the Kroenke rebuff or resign. He resigned.

• Advertisement

KdjaCL wrote:
    You do realise the americans are in it for the investment part and will make every penny back.

Tbh Hill Wood is right, american companies dont invest in anything that will lose them money only gain it. Overseas tv deal FTW!!!

kdjac

i'm not an arsenal fan, but Everton used to be a wealthy club up to the eighties, Hill Wood claims he will provide "reasonable" funds to Wegner , maybe reasonable by Everton or Bolton standards -- personally if the americans invested in everton i would be delighted -- the Glazers have hardly destroyed Man U. , the liverpool investment seams positive to me -- just wish everton would get some of it !

Dein has known since Monday. He was told he had to either back the Kroenke rebuff or resign. He resigned.

do you have a link for that ? the papers reported that he was sacked. I suppose being sacked or forced to resign is much the same any way. Where does this leave Wenger? Will he stay?

The Muppet wrote:
    do you have a link for that ? the papers reported that he was sacked. I suppose being sacked or forced to resign is much the same any way. Where does this leave Wenger? Will he stay?
    You're not gonna get into another "He was sacked" "No, he walked" debate now are you? :D;)

BaZmO* wrote:
    You're not gonna get into another "He was sacked" "No, he walked" debate now are you? :D;)

I might be, What's wrong with that? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

thebaz wrote:
    i'm not an arsenal fan, but Everton used to be a wealthy club up to the eighties, Hill Wood claims he will provide "reasonable" funds to Wegner , maybe reasonable by Everton or Bolton standards -- personally if the americans invested in everton i would be delighted -- the Glazers have hardly destroyed Man U. , the liverpool investment seams positive to me -- just wish everton would get some of it !

You will :confused: Everton will get the same amount of tv cash that liverpool get. Thats what the americans are buying. Just your can spend on your club and not on repaying your investment.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    You will :confused: Everton will get the same amount of tv cash that liverpool get. Thats what the americans are buying. Just your can spend on your club and not on repaying your investment.

kdjac

i don't think so, we might get the same amount of tv cash, but liverpool will go after and purchase a better and more expensive players , cause they now have serious financial clout -- everton will be competing with bolton, sunderland, portsmouth etc for the same type players -- you need financial muscle to compete in the big time -- my point is big teams can fall
    like Everton have .. i guess smaller teams can also rise like chelsea now -- and blackburn in the past ... like it or hate, to compete in the premiership or the CL you need big time money, that English folk don't seam to want to spend or havn't got such as Russian or American billionaires have

Hill-Wood said: "Why don't we want the American at our club? Call me old-fashioned, but we don't need his money and we don't want his sort.

"Our objective is keep Arsenal English, albeit with a lot of foreign players."

What a load of self righteos nonsense , i hope the Americans get control now -- maybe he should have said
    "Our objective is keep Arsenal English, albeit with no English players"

Advertisement