Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland (Republic) leapfrog in rankings

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭romperstomper

how is that "rightfully" below us again after the SHAMBOLIC performances we have put in so far in the qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

FIFA rankings mean absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

So what do people think of the new rankings since they were introduced? Look pretty accurate to me.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1871529,00.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

how is that "rightfully" below us again after the SHAMBOLIC performances we have put in so far in the qualifying campaign.

C'mon the win against Slovenia was hardly shambolic. In fact it was great.

And NI just should not have a soccer team - end of. Yes some good wins. We all know though where they will be in a year's time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

4 wins on the trot, rockstars :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

your being a bit hard on the north but ya ireland are clearly better than them
    all the same as someone else said the fifa rankings dont mean much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

darkman2 wrote:
    C'mon the win against Slovenia was hardly shambolic. In fact it was great.
    Slovakia?

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Ireland got more points in may than any other country in March. Two 1-0 wins again teams ranked 36th and 74th. seems a bit strange

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

besty wrote:
    Slovakia?

:p Damn sorry I get those two confuzzled sometimes,

Dampsquid wrote:
    Ireland got more points in may than any other country in March. Two 1-0 wins again teams ranked 36th and 74th. seems a bit strange
    What seems strange? The rankings are explained in the article I posted. It doesn't matter if it's 1-0 or 10-0, it doesn't matter if it's home or away. A win's a win.

I'll try to explain exactly how it's calculated.

The formula:
    Match result * Match Status * Opposition strength * Regional strength

Regional Strength will always be 1.0 for us.

So for the win against Slovakia...

Match Result = 3 points
    Match Status = 2.5 points
    Opposition strength = [200 - ranking position]/100 = (200 - 37) / 100 = 1.63

3 * 2.5 * 1.63 = 12.25

The win against Wales earnt 9.225 points.

What happens then is you get the average of all the points from the matches in the last 12 months.

The average of the points from 12-24 months are multiplied by 0.5 (ie. halved).

24-36 months: 0.3x
    36-48 months: 0.2x

The averages from the 4 periods are all added together and that score is multiplied by 100 to get your final points total. :)

Because we haven't won much in the last 12 months those 2 wins would make a huge difference. The biggest amount we'd lose is the win against Sweden which gets halved... ah I'm not very good at explaining this...

After June/July Italy will fall quite a bit in the rankings because their world cup results will be only worth half what they're worth atm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

FIFA rankings mean absolutely nothing.

Develop, explain?

Well they are pretty meaningless. There's no use to them. In the likes of snooker and tennis a players' aim is to get to the number 1 in the rankings but football teams couldn't give a toss about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Amazed at the ranking I have to say ! Wouldnt have been surprised to see the north a few slots ahead of us tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

darkman2 wrote:
    And NI just should not have a soccer team - end of.

Why not? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

Anybody watching Sky News this morning? They said that Ireland were in 20th position, I was like what that can't be right, so pressed red and watched the looped sports news and he did say 20th.

Giving me false hopes!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

PCros wrote:
    Anybody watching Sky News this morning? They said that Ireland were in 20th position, I was like what that can't be right, so pressed red and watched the looped sports news and he did say 20th.

Giving me false hopes!:mad:
    31st,they jumped 20 places

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

county wrote:
    31st,they jumped 20 places

I know they're 31st, but the guy on Sky stated 20th instead of 20 places. Ya with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

PCros wrote:
    I know they're 31st, but the guy on Sky stated 20th instead of 20 places. Ya with me?
    with you now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

The ranking system is definitely better now. The list looks fairly accurate to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

england should be in the teens or greater. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

darkman2 wrote:
    http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,27275-Apr-2007,00.html

There you have it. Northern Ireland rightfully below us again. Any thoughts?

Rightfully?

The Wales match was woeful bar Ireland and Duff. The Slovak result was quite lucky (well, in some respects were were unlucky to only win 1-0 but still)

N.I are on fire right now.

england should be in the teens or greater. :confused:
    They got to the last 8 of the world cup and knocked out on peno's so that plays a big part. They're also 7th in the UEFA seedings so get their fair share of points in qualifying.

Advertisement