Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Epoxy V's Fibreglass

Options
  • 18-04-2007 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey,
    Going to buy a board soon and was wondering which is better for a begginer, epoxy resin boards or fibreglass boards? Why? Any other helpfull info would be great. Am looking at trying to get a 7'6ish minimal.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭Shane_C

Definitely epoxy. It is really durable compared to fibreglass and up to 30% more buoyant without loosing much maneuverability. That means they catch waves easier and paddle faster.

I heard all the pros use epoxy boards with stickers on them but that might just be a rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭conman78

Griff,
    go epoxy for beginner defo. Dont buy a bic whatever a sales guy tells you (heavy, and crappy). Check out ebay for sunride epoxy's. Very good boards and 30 % more bouyant and easier to paddle and catch waves as my the right honourable gentleman pointed out! Bundoran & TBay surf shop sell Sunride boards too, but fella on ebay is called dave summers or summers surf shop. He's from newquay and very reliable as I got one of his boards for my bro. 7'6 too delivered to Dublin for €300 all in. Bargain Town. Try to make him a private offer and see what he comes back with but defo well worth checking out if you haven't bought yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Griff77

Thanks lads. Got a second hand epoxy minimal there last night. Mint condition and now all i gotta do is pray for some waves.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

Fair play, what size, colour, make, where did you get it, how much?

I think there should be waves this weekend in sligo area, nice low pressure hanging over the atlantic all week, ideal beginner waves I think, ideal waves to tryout a new board.

Good luck and enjoy

Hey its a Take-Off resin epoxy 7'6 minimal. 1 repaired little ding. Got it for 300 including leash, bag, gloves and spare fins. Waiting on my wetsuit delivery this week so hopefully head out this weekend.

Where in Sligo is good for a begginer Rocky? The only beach's i know are Lahinch and then a few in kerry - maheree's, castlegregory and inch as my parents are from down there. Is there anywhere within a few hrs of Dublin you can go thats good for a begginer? I'd hope to leave early on a sat morn 6/7ish, get a few hrs in surfing and head home that day. I got football on sunday mornings so i'll only be good for the odd weekender!!

Any good sites for reviews and directions? I use magicseaweed for swell prediction but thats it!

Thanks for all your help lads

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Enniscrone & Easkey are the two popular breaks that way, there are loads more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Griff77 wrote:
    Is there anywhere within a few hrs of Dublin you can go thats good for a begginer?

Made it to Strahndhill on Sunday in two hours from Raheny in Dublin Griff. If its to messy there, there is a beach called Streedagh only ten minutes away from there. Sometimes Portmarnock can be a laugh.

Sounds like you got a great deal on the board, hope you like it.

Gonna head out this saturday. Cant wait to get out there and try strandhill so!

Portmarnock can work (for a novice...)!?! I live in malahide so its only minutes away. Whats it take to work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

It takes a big board, southerly winds, a decent swell and patience. I really use it for fitness and practise to be honest.

Advertisement