Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog deterrent

Options
  • 18-04-2007 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭

Looking for some info,
    I have a 3yr old pedigree beagle(male).Generally a brilliant dog not the brightest of dogs but great with my kids and on and off the lead.Problem is constantly peeing and lying on the more expensive plants on my flowerbeds.Has his usual spots for peeing but wants to mark his territory everywhere.
    Dog lover and keen gardener and need some sort of detterent as im correcting him all the time but message not getting across.:rolleyes:

Is there any solution for this out there,pellets, spray's,water cannon:eek: etc
    Getting gates,fences,or getting rid of him or plants not an option.

Help:o

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

In "his" own garden ...difficult.

You could try and train him to only use one specific area as "toilet" ...can be done.

But that still leaves marking, the odd "construction project" and the favourite lying down areas.

For lying down, try and offer a better alternative. A good spot with a good commanding view (or shade or whatever it is he likes about these spots) and the type of surface he likes (And if it has to be freshly raked John Innes, it has to be freshly raked John Innes ...just sans flowers :D )

As for marking, I suggest watching him like a hawk, encouraging marking (with praise) in the outlying areas and discouraging it where you don't want it.
    If he doesn't listen to you, your argument may be underlined with a well directed strong squirt from the garden hose (but of course that's never to hand when you need it)

If there are a few critical spots that he persistently marks that really annoy you, then there is one last resort. (womenfolk ...avert your eyes)

Pee on them yourself (possibly under cover of darkness, because of the neighbours :D ) while he sees you doing so.

Peeing over your boss' marker is a big doggy no-no !

(If he still goes and does it, immediatedly stage a big theatrical sanctioning with "thunderbolt and lightning"...that'll teach him for while)

The other question is of course, if you really want to pee all over your cherished flowers yourself :D:D:D

And then there are "pets away" granules ...but in my experience they have very limited effect.

Advertisement