Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Landcruiser - I'm Sold

Options
  • 18-04-2007 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I called out to Terry Lilly Commercials in Finglas today to have a look around. I first looked at a Isuzu Trooper and immediately thought it was far too agricultural. It looks good from the outside but once you get in it's horrible.

Next I looked at the Toyota Landcruiser. There were scratches all over the cockpit and it was generally filthy. This turned me off a fair bit, a lot actually. I decided to take it for a test drive for the laugh anyway.

Oh my god, So much fun it, I can't believe it's legal! Straight away I completely forgot how tatty the interior was. I just have to get one now. The one I was driving was a tad over budget (like €4K), but it had Air Con and Auto Box which I don't necessarily need.

I'm now on the lookout for a 1999 to 2001 in either LWB or SWB. I'm viewing a 1999 SWB tomorrow and will take it for a spin. It's a private sale and it's local. And to think I was looking at Freelanders. Pfft!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,238 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You cannot really go wrong with a Landcruiser to be honest. Probably the best yoke out there in this class of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Just thought of a quick question, the one I'm viewing tomorrow is due for it's DOE on Tuesday. How comprehensive is the DOE?

I'm planning to get an engineer to have a look at it. Would a chat with the DOE engineer have the same effect?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

what sort of money are these going for ? i was thinking around a 99 model but looking north there seems to be some great deals going.

is the one youre looking at a commercial or passenger???

i am so tempted by these yokes. finally paid off my loan on my car (98 megane - yeah yeah i know) and am already in my head looking around for the next car.

i must be mad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭maidhc

I have never driven one, but a lad I know said the LWB was far nicer on the road than the SWB version. It makes sense that it would be.

I have been told that the LWB is nicer to drive too. It's a whole load of space that I won't be using though. I'll know tomorrow evening.

As they say: "The proof of the pudding is in the eating."

The prices vary a lot. The 2001 I was driving today was going for €15,950.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

ballooba wrote:
    The prices vary a lot. The 2001 I was driving today was going for €15,950.

Jaysus, this one's pretty expensive so:

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=496121

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

The SWB is more suitable for off-road due to the distance between the axles, you can go over stuff easier. The LWB is better on-road due to the better stability because of the longer distance between the axles.
    The DOE is like the NCT, it will only confirm it to be roadworthy. It really isn't a substitute for an engineer's report, the engineer should be able to pinpoint any expensive maintenance work that may be on the horizon where as a DOE will really ony confirm that all is OK now (correct me if I'm people).
    I sometimes drive a 4x4 for work (Landcruiser '04) and they are great for what they are designed for. TBH I would not buy a 4x4 unless I really needed one. You'll get better handling & economy plus cheaper maintenance on a large saloon car. Don't forget they are big heavy vehicles that will wear out suspension parts easily.
    They are great fun off-road though SWB or LWB, just remember they are not invincible, always check the underside thoroughly after any off-road driving.

Everyone keeps saying this about the SWBs. The one I am looking at tomorrow looks so clean though. I'm buying it for windsurfing. Not much off-road otherwise though.
    pburns wrote:
    That's a Jap Import. Any saving on the VRT is lost on the conversion to commercial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Is there much difference between the current model and the older one? I've been looking at comercial jeeps at the moment and would love the landcruiser. I've yet to drive one though. I've driven the pajero and that would also be an option for me in SWB and it seems a lot cheaper than the landcruiser of same year.

This is a lovely looking Pajero if your tending towards them:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=470395

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

FX Meister wrote:
    Is there much difference between the current model and the older one? I've been looking at comercial jeeps at the moment and would love the landcruiser.

The new model Land Cruiser is definitely a step on from the previous model, definitely more comfortable. They actually sell the new model in the States as a Lexus. The lads in work here are bigger fans of the 5 speed Landcruiser over the 6 speed, the new model originally came with a 5 speed box. The is also a bit more power on offer, the new model has 167BHP which is decent enough.
    A friend of mine recently sold a '02 Pajero Sport (~€15k), while it was not a nicely appointed inside or as powerful as the Landcruiser it was quite nice.

If only I had another €15-20K. Then I would be looking at a new model.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Don't forget they are big heavy vehicles that will wear out suspension parts easily.
    I have a 1997 SWB KZJ90 with 202k miles on it and I have only ever replaced a set of rear shocks at 115k miles.
    The suspension components are designed for the vehicles increased weight and power and last accordingly.
    One thing that can and will give trouble if neglected is the tie-rods.
    If you look behind the front wheel at full lock there is a plastic bellows/boot that attaches to the end of the steering rack, inside this is the tie-rod.
    What usually happens is the boot gets damaged or the cable tie that secures it to the rack/tie-rod breaks and water and grit get inside and damage the ball joint. cost is around 130 for the part+fitting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I looked at a '99 SWB land cruiser yesterday. asking €9500. Its a bit tatty but I am tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,684 ✭✭✭whippet

I put up about 4000Km on a Land Cruiser 3L Daysul over a few weeks in NewZealand earlier this year and it was a pleasure to drive. It wasn't too bad on the juice (I can't convert MPG to 100km/L craic) but it was a 4x4 which would give you alot of confidence over the rougher stuff and even at speed on the road seemed to have some manners.

I purchased yesterday. Love it.

2001 Toyota Landcruiser GX LWB Auto with Air Con. Commercial obviously.

Pics to follow.

How much and what mileage?
    oh and check those tie-rod covers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I have an 06 swb commercial landcruiser and I love it. 30 mpg but very comfortable and as strong as a train. Do some light off roading in it (when the land is dry at least and it is a pleasure.

mainly bought it for towing my classic cars on the transporter as my caddy van was too weak to do this safely.

PICS PICS - was hoping for a few pics of your new jeep. ;)

Will post up pics some day when I get home before dark. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

do it.

• Advertisement

do it.
    The pics? I suppose witht the days getting longer I have no excuses.

I actually had been meaning to take a few there one day when I had nothing better to do. Will do.

FFS where are they? ;)

Without further adoodoo:
    590630963e9937372ecbkl5.th.jpg5905968074a27a5d3d4bua4.th.jpg

5909555960eb6ff5ff7bkd5.th.jpg59059886762b306401abxs9.th.jpg

Advertisement