Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Messi take a bow

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 868 ✭✭✭tdv

Is there any other links for it, this one aint working for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Right click and save.

Very Maradonna like. Barce could have done with him doing that against Liverpool :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Just watching the game now.

Incredible goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

The exact same as Maradona's wonder goal against England. Great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

what an incredible goal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Not quite as good as Maradonna's but still amazing , and to think he's only 19 . God knows how good he could become in the next 2/3 years .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

It's pretty amazing how similar that is to Maradona's. Obviously Maradona's was a lot more important but I don't think it was any harder. Messi's is up there with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

amazing goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

heres a streaming linky lads

http://www.dailymotion.com/search/Messi/video/x1r38i_barcelona-2-0-getafe-180407-messi

i hate sayin it but dunphy has a point, people over hype ronaldo and under hype a player like Messi... doesnt make any sense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

i seen it on the news this morning.....wowser,great goal!!

ha ha and sammi eto'o reckons flashness dosnt win games :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Rafa sign him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

A very nice goal from Messi there, no doubt about it. We all know he is very skilful and this is certainly end-product.

I think Maradona's goal from 1986 which is similar was better though as it was at the world cup and even England's defensive abilities and that of Shilton were better than Getafe, surely?

Here's the 'Jimmy Magee' version as a reminder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rW-lK9F6TU

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wrzSx5B3Q

What a stunning goal. WHAT a player Messi is going to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Reminiscent of Maradona.

Pure reminiscent of Maradona, Messi the next Maradona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

VinnyL wrote:
    i hate sayin it but dunphy has a point, people over hype ronaldo and under hype a player like Messi... doesnt make any sense
    I'm sure Messi is just as hyped in the Spanish press as Ronaldo is in the English press. Dunphy is a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Dunphy has complained about Messi in the past, and he is just as hyped in Spain and Argentina. Next Maradonna being the best example :)

That said, he is a cracking player. He reached a higher level that Ronaldo last season, and was a lot more impressive. This season he has had trouble with injuries.

Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Cesc, Rooney are the future Ronaldinho's, Figo's, Zidane's, and Ronaldos of this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    Players like Messi, Ronaldo, Cesc, Rooney are the future Ronaldinho's, Figo's, Zidane's, and Ronaldos of this world.
    Does that mean that they're gonna eventually become fat and uniterested in the game? (Zidane being the exception of course.......)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Messi was a bit jaded on Sunday against Mallorca, didn't help with being 2-3 man marked each time he got the ball.

PHB wrote:

You didn't put in Robinho, Jesus Navas, David Silva, Sergio Ramos? They are just up with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

Does that mean that they're gonna eventually become fat and uniterested in the game? (Zidane being the exception of course.......)

I'd say Barca fans can only hope that Messi becomes as fat and uninterested in a player that has 17 league goals this year.

---

Yep, there's also Alex, Lennon, Aguerro, Torres, lots of other young players who are gona be great, but I think those four, and Ramos aswell, are going to be the top players of their generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Stekelly wrote:
    Right click and save.

Very Maradonna like. Barce could have done with him doing that against Liverpool :D
    god,those repressed memories are coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,424 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

county wrote:
    god,those repressed memories are coming back
    t'was an own goal damnit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

wow is all i can say..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Why do people continue to say "Messi will be a great player"? Is he not a great player as it is?

Amazing goal.

Messi is a funny player for me, I don't think he's anywhere near his ability yet.

Funnily enough, I think he performs in big games, all the time in big games, but has yet to get consistant enough in destroying teams in the small games. When he does, he'll be incredible.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Fantastic goal, as people have set its just like Maradona's goal. Messi is a brilliant player at the moment but he will get even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

PHB wrote:
    Messi is a funny player for me, I don't think he's anywhere near his ability yet.

Funnily enough, I think he performs in big games, all the time in big games, but has yet to get consistant enough in destroying teams in the small games. When he does, he'll be incredible.

Similar to Ronaldo, for a couple of seasons it was far too much showboating with no end product, with both players the end product will become better and better over the next few seasons before they become fat and uninterested.

Well I think it's the opposite of Ronaldo.

Ronaldo was killing crap teams all the time, and is now starting to be really good against good teams.

Messi was killing good teams all the time, and is now starting to be really good against crap teams.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

ends up the same way... they were both killing teams half the time, now theyre starting to kill teams all the time

Indeed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

wonder goal -- i wonder did poor Diego see it in hospital , and go back down memory lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Cant watch the goal in college but messi is amazing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

CorkMan wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6wrzSx5B3Q

What a stunning goal. WHAT a player Messi is going to be.
    Going to be?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

CorkMan wrote:
    Messi the next Maradona?

He's constantly being refered to as the next Maradonna, this goal just reinforces the statement! Amazing.

Question is though, would he get away with a mazy run like that in the premiership? I doubt it, surely he'd be lifted out of it after beating one or two players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Different Class!!

Unbelievable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Question is though, would he get away with a mazy run like that in the premiership? I doubt it, surely he'd be lifted out of it after beating one or two players?

The last tackle is just that, Messi is amazing for a player who is developing so late its scary to think what he will be like when finsihed article. The disease he has held him back for a while.

He will be better than Maradona :)

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

He's nowhere near Maradona, I've had the luxury of watching him live twice, and he still suffers from consistency problems, No doubting his skill level but he doesn't have the body strength or determination that Maradona has.

Maybe that will come, if they keep feeding him the anti-midget pills.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pah thats not such a big deal, the defence was crap. The recording on Newstalk this morning was much better

"Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooal" :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,982 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Thing about goals like that is the defending always looks crap , it's simply because Messi made them look crap .

zabbo wrote:
    He's nowhere near Maradona, I've had the luxury of watching him live twice, and he still suffers from consistency problems, No doubting his skill level but he doesn't have the body strength or determination that Maradona has.

Here young fella i had the luxury of seeing Maradona altho full of drugs as later proven i would say Messi is as already better*.

*Old players like best pele and maradona the ones who are considered the greatest ever didnt have to cope with decent defenders :)

The only thing that makes a player great and thankfully its something that will never change is "Having a good world cup" to be the greatest "you must win one for your team". Messi only has the 2nd one there to be truly considered better than Maradona**

**Scarily possible is the argies get their **** together.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Here young fella i had the luxury of seeing Maradona altho full of drugs as later proven i would say Messi is as already better*.

*Old players like best pele and maradona the ones who are considered the greatest ever didnt have to cope with decent defenders :)

The only thing that makes a player great and thankfully its something that will never change is "Having a good world cup" to be the greatest "you must win one for your team". Messi only has the 2nd one there to be truly considered better than Maradona**

**Scarily possible is the argies get their **** together.

kdjac

So people like Gentile, Scirea,Bergomi,Baresi,Cabrini,the German bloke etc... were not decent defenders?

Split screen, messi on left, Maradona on right...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1r5c9_comparativa-gol-de-messi-y-maradona

tdv wrote:
    So people like Gentile, Scriea, Bergomi,Baresi,Cabrini,the German bloke etc... were not decent defenders?

Odd you name players Maradona Pele or best possible didnt score against ;)

Defenders are a lot better today than ever, any professional footballer who plays in defence would have a case as being better than previous incarnations. Watch 90 minutes of any match from 60s 70s early 80s and you will see some shocking defending, even west ham defenders would look good vs them.

Baresi shouldnt be in that list tbh he played most of his football in 80s and most of 90s. Bear in mind the best defenders of the 60s and 70s were called hatchet men for a reason also fits into world cups Pele vs Hungary etc:

Football has advanced to a point that defending isnt just crippling the other player. It involves skill and reading of the game.

kdjac

KdjaCL wrote:
    Odd you name players Maradona Pele or best possible didnt score against ;)

Defenders are a lot better today than ever, any professional footballer who plays in defence would have a case as being better than previous incarnations. Watch 90 minutes of any match from 60s 70s early 80s and you will see some shocking defending, even west ham defenders would look good vs them.

Baresi shouldnt be in that list tbh he played most of his football in 80s and most of 90s. Bear in mind the best defenders of the 60s and 70s were called hatchet men for a reason also fits into world cups Pele vs Hungary etc:

Football has advanced to a point that defending isnt just crippling the other player. It involves skill and reading of the game.

kdjac

I dont need to watch matches from the 60's to see shocking defending I can just watch Match of the Day.

So did Maradona & in the same league as Baresi.

Scirea had skill & could read the game just as well as most top class defenders can nowadays & he was never sent off in his entire career.

Fact is there is just as many muppet defenders around nowadays as there was back in the 60s, 70s & 80s but theres just more strict rules nowadays.

I would say that Defensive lines were organized alot worse back then but I'd but that down to coaching error rather than a players abillity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

tdv wrote:
    So people like Gentile, Scirea,Bergomi,Baresi,Cabrini,the German bloke etc... were not decent defenders?
    Football has come on leaps and bounds in the last 20 years.

I read an interview with Steve Kinden (ex Wolves) and he said it best. He reckoned if you got a time machine and brought Pele of 1970 to the present day and put him in a top standard match he'd really struggle with the standard. But, if you went back to 1950 and took him as a 10 year old and he grew up with the current game he'd still be as good.

I'm not 100% sure but I think Puskas never actually played in a competitive 0-0 draw in his life. That was around the 50's. These days the game is so much about tactics, fitness, scouting, video analysis, etc. that it's much tougher for guys like Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc. than it was when Maradona played imo.

As a Celtic fan I think the days of destroying teams away from home every week are gone, no matter how good Celtic get. The standard of player is not really any better than it ever was but that counts less and less these days. Greece won the European Championships ffs. :)

btw - You should watch a few games on ESPN Classic and look at the space players got back then compared to now.

tdv wrote:

I would say that Defensive lines were organized alot worse back then but I'd but that down to coaching error rather than a players abillity.

But now with the advent of the million making youth academy coaching and basicially everythig football has been broken down to the bottom dollar thus creating perfect footballers. Whether they make it or not is irrevelant tru lemmings style coaching some will and some wont.

So football has moved onto a scary level where players are created at a far younger age and any natural ability is honed. The players you mentioned all had natural ability with todays coaching from a young age its scary to think what they could have been like.

back then football was football now football is money moreso tru tv tho :(

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

KdjaCL wrote:

back then football was football now football is money moreso tru tv tho :(

kdjac
    Hey hey, why the sad face, if as you claim(and which I agree with) football is better now then who cares what it took to make it better. Sure players and managers are earning obscene amounts of money, but fcuk it, once the end product is pleasing to my eye then who cares.

In this age of intesnse media scrutiny the chancers are soon found out. As viewers we're not getting ripped off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement