Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

daughters acne

• 18-04-2007 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

my daughter is going to be a bridesmaid soon and is wearing a dress that shows her shoulders. she has bad spots/acne on both her shoulders. i brought her to the doctors and she gave us zineryt. it doesnt seem to be working but she did say that it probably wouldnt. is there anything anyone can recommend for this. thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 shesham

You might get more responses under 'fashion and appearance.'

Before I got married, I did a few sessions with a beautician, who did some 'facials' on my back.. it did improve the situation. Even try a good facial wash (Johnson & Johnson is good) everyday in the shower, use a good loofah/scrubber to remove dead skincells. Avoid hot showers spraying directly onto the back for too long, wearing underwear straps too tight on shoulder blades can also cause spots. Only don't do too much at once as it may completely further irritation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Peter Collins

I had acne on my face when I was a teenager. The one thing which really worked was a good medicated soap, such as dettol soap.

http://www.mouthshut.com/review/Dettol_Soap-13424-1.html

It cleared it up in about 2 days.

Your skin becomes a bit dependent on it though and if you stop using it, they will come back, but for something like this, it's perfect.

There is no harm trying it, it won't do any damage and is cheaper than hormones etc.

Let me know if it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 elaine_d18

I am 22 and have terrible acne on my shoulders too. I read the other replies on this thread and don't agree. Using topical creams and soaps are not going to get rid of acne. (although she should only use oil free moisturisers and soaps). Acne is caused by an excess of bacteria that is produced in the skin. One of the best ways for girls to get rid of acne is taking the pill (dianette). It is very effective but does take months and when you come off it the acne comes back.
    I've also tried antibiotics from the doctor (worked to some extent but are expensive and the acne comes back when you come off them) and benezoyl peroxide products which didn't work at all.
    The next thing I'm going to try are herbal tablets, I've heard very good things about different versions including Pantothenic acid and a brand called Perfect oils which are supposed to clear up acne very fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭leann

Youre right elaine d18. My skin was amazingly clear while on dianette but its so strong you can only stay on it for two yrs and my skin is pretty bad again now. I have also heard about a range called cosmedix which is herbal and is available in the laser centre off stephens green. Have yet to make an app but am running out of options feel i have tried everything im 22 too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

Neutrogena have a body wash that my friend used and found good.....has anybody tried that product that Jessica Simpson advertises in TV???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Neutrogena body wash is good but very harsh. You really only want to use it in the affected areas and do the rest of the body with normal stuff.
    I'd suggest going to the doctor and asking for something stronger. They will decide what is right for her. But they generally take months to work.
    Facials would be good, but not too close to the big day as they bring all the yucky stuff in the skin up to the top to be excreted, so give it a few days at least beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

this may be the expensive route but could you bring her to a dermotologist?(my spelling isnt great sorry) and get them to recommend anything like a routine or diet change that could help. or could you take her to a beauty salon that does the laser therapy thing for acne. my bro had it done a few years ago because his back was so painful and it worked for him brilliantly. good luck and enjoy the day. oh just remembered you could dab tea tree onto the affected area too that did wonders for one of my friends too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

What's wrong with staying on dianette for more than 2 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭SexyD4Lady

Most things take 4-6 weeks to take effect. I have tried everything for acne, and what really worked for me is a combined antibiotic for skin and contraceptive pill called Dianette. It will take several weeks to take effect, but the results are definitely worth the wait. I went on this pill a year ago, and my back, shoulders and chest are now completely clear. Just the odd spot on the face from makeup, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

MayMay wrote:
    What's wrong with staying on dianette for more than 2 years?
    Doctors used to recommend that you only stay on dianette for about three years, and then they'd recommend you switch to a different type of pill. IIRC, it was something to do with the fact that dianette is a combined pill. I asked my doctor about this last year and the guidlines have since changed (although I can't remember exactly what they are now :rolleyes: ).

When I was in school, I went to a dermatologist for my skin, which proved to be well worth the money. Dianette is also very effective.

Clinique have an anti-bacterial skin range which includes body treatments - I think it's a spray. AFAIK, it's quite good and not too expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I've said it once and I'll say it again, honey for acne! Sounds crazy but it works especially well for spots and healing the skin. Google it if ye don't believe me

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blondie999

One of the better acne treatment for females that works is the contraceptive pill. My GP said the acne is caused by a hormome imbalance where by more of the male hormone is produced, which produces more sebum causing pimples. The pill regulates the hormones so the acne should clear up. Well it worked for me anyway after skin problems all my teenage years.

I still get the odd pimple but nothing like I used to. About a year ago I came off the pill for awhile and my acne really flared up on me so at least I know the pill I'm on (yasmin) works!! It is so awful when you have bad skin and no matter how dressed up you are you never feel good in yourself. Creams, lotions and potions don't get to the root cause of acne. Always go to your GP (hopefully they're sympathetic like mine is!! ) instead of being influenced by slick TV and magazine adverts for skin clearing products that are not awhole lot of help in the long run. In this day and age we shouldn't have to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

I had terrible in my late teens and early twenties - usual BS from doctors about hormones.

The only thing that really helped was changing my diet. I cut out junk food 90% of the time and dropped wheat and dairy.

Helped with my energy levels also and even now i can relate a breakout to less than optimal eating or drinking (alcohol)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

I've suffered from really bad skin for most of my teens, I tried anti-biotics which did work but when i went off them it came back just as bed!

I tried changing my diet, it was literally as clean as I could make(including cutting out dairy) and it did make a difference but it wouldn't clear properly

I've tried getting weekly facials, again it kinda worked but not really!!

I actually found the best thing was a seaweed plasma gel that i got fom a salon, it cleared it up so much, while i was using it i had no spots whatsoever but unfortunatey I ran out of it and its hard to get hold of!!

It came back pretty bad afetr i stopped using it but in the last few weeks my face has actually started to clear up on its own, so now i only have one or two spots left which are easy to hide with make-up...maybe it was just hormones after all!!

Tbh i was seriously considering the contraceptive pill though before it started to clear on its own coz I've heard so much about it helping to get rid of acne.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Transform, that sounds more like a gluten issue for you than anything else.

OP, has your daughter tried using any BP (Benzoyl Peroxide) products? They are highly effective for most people, though may not do the trick for severe acne. BP increases the rate of skin turnover and cleares the bores, and acts as an anti-bacterial agent.

Have a look at www.acne.org for more information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭meowCat

Well, every doctor seems to know exactly what causes acne, but the story is a bit different everywhere.

OP, make sure her spots are not caused by an allergy. My skin reacts to some pollen. A dermatologist would see that though.

I've tried the Jessica Simpson stuff which is on that add on telly. Forget it. Expensive and doesn't work. It made my skin ultra dry and flaky, with the spots still being there. And the smell is horrid.

As for that pill, not everyone can be on the pill. The pill has strong side effect s and they should be considered before being on it just out of vanity.

A friend of mine has had good results with going to a beautician regularly. I haven't had the money for that though, so I cannot speak from my own experience.

I find using sudo cream on it in the evening helps!! It's even written on the package that it helps against acne, but I haven't heard from anyone else yet that they tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

meowCat wrote:

I find using sudo cream on it in the evening helps!! It's even written on the package that it helps against acne, but I haven't heard from anyone else yet that they tried it.

Forgot about that, i used Sudocream as well, it's actually quite good! I used to put it on when i was going to bed, your pillows end up getting wrecked from it though!!

Dianette for me was amazing but I fear if I go off it the spots will come back as I've read here with most people they do.....OP give serious consideration to your daughter going on the pill but I tried almost everything before going on dianette and it's the only thing that worked for me. Best of luck with her.

Malteaser! wrote:
    Forgot about that, i used Sudocream as well, it's actually quite good! I used to put it on when i was going to bed, your pillows end up getting wrecked from it though!!

:D well, you should rub it in properly of course. Not just slack on some thick layer and leave it at this....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Dianette contains 2mg of cyprotenone acetate(sp?), which is a strong anti-androgenic (male hormone) progestogen. It's due to its strength and also the high dosage, e.g. cilest contains 0.025mg of a different progestogen so that's why it's used in the treatment of androgen-dependent acne and why the manufacturer recommend not staying on it just as an OC, should be used when acne is also a problem. Increased risk of things like clots, but it's all relative and nothing to panic about!

• Advertisement

Dianette contains 2mg of cyprotenone acetate(sp?), which is a strong anti-androgenic (male hormone) progestogen. It's due to its strength and also the high dosage, e.g. cilest contains 0.025mg of a different progestogen so that's why it's used in the treatment of androgen-dependent acne and why the manufacturer recommend not staying on it just as an OC, should be used when acne is also a problem. Increased risk of things like clots, but it's all relative and nothing to panic about!

Okay thanks angel...just heard nothing about it until now and have read the book back to front. Might have a chat with the doc next time. I don't want to come off it any time soon, it's my saviour!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055117228 You might find some more info here...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 blondie999

meowCat wrote:
    Well, every doctor seems to know exactly what causes acne, but the story is a bit different everywhere.

OP, make sure her spots are not caused by an allergy. My skin reacts to some pollen. A dermatologist would see that though.

I've tried the Jessica Simpson stuff which is on that add on telly. Forget it. Expensive and doesn't work. It made my skin ultra dry and flaky, with the spots still being there. And the smell is horrid.

As for that pill, not everyone can be on the pill. The pill has strong side effect s and they should be considered before being on it just out of vanity.

A friend of mine has had good results with going to a beautician regularly. I haven't had the money for that though, so I cannot speak from my own experience.

If you suffer from severe acne that is affecting your life I take exception when someone says you are vain. Acne is a medical condition and should be treated as such.
    As with all type of medicines whether topical or not there are risks but a GP is qualified to explain these and of course the pill affects everyone differently but in general the pill has many benefits. Suffering from acne and going on the Pill to help does not make someone vain. What a silly thing to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭loodles

I'm on dianette 8 yrs. I have spoken to my doctor regularly about it and she says its fine to stay on!
    It really does work and has cleared my skin a lot. I do get spots on my chin and use a prescription gel called differen which is really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

I had this problem myself - i cut out the junk and beagn to drink water by the litre and was amazed at the results. Creams imo are over rated and too expensive. I once read a book about water called 'Water - Natures Miracle Drink' and was fascinated. Have you ever noticed that members of the travelling community never get acne? Its because they dont use cream on there skin.

loodles wrote:
    I'm on dianette 8 yrs. I have spoken to my doctor regularly about it and she says its fine to stay on!
    It really does work and has cleared my skin a lot. I do get spots on my chin and use a prescription gel called differen which is really good.

8 years, really? And your doctor said that's fine? Have you tried coming off it to see how your skin is without it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

The first time I went to the dermatologist, my mum asked him could what I was eating be causing my spots and he said absolutely not. A good diet will help yor skin, but a bad diet by itself can not cause spots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭Villaricos

Ive recommended them before but the message boards of acne.org are a god send.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Body-acne-f33.html

this is there board dedicated solely to body acne, but they've got plenty of other advice to give across the other boards.

Personally for me, nothing has ever topped sudocrem though!

blondie999 wrote:
    What a silly thing to say.

indeed.
    And I did not say that! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭leann

Well the doctor took me off dianette and switched to cilest after two years because I started getting migraines and apparently this is indiciative of an increased risk of stroke. Have started on cilest now and skin is quite bad but will see what happens. Does anyone know where you can buy Neutrogena Body Clear Body Wash? Is it only available in US? Cant find it in Boots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

I recommend Isotrexin gel. It's available on prescription. Its the gel form of roaccutane but because its a gel you don't get the side effects like depression. I have been using it for my acne, and there was a noticeable improvement in just a few days. It helps reduce the scarring too, and I haven't had any side effects.

Advertisement