Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cash and carries without being a business?

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭

just wondering if there is any cash and carries like musgraves that allow the public in, and if not, any other way of getting a musgraves card without having a business?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

anyone? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 takenow

No. I tried years ago in Musgraves in Ballymun but I was refused. I had to present 2 trade references so I did. You can always approach some local businesses and ask them to give you one. Musgraves will allow you to walk around and have a look but every time after that you'll need to present your membership card or number.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭mwrf

I work in Musgrave Robinhood, You need two recent invoices sent to your company. The only way is to ask someone you know that has an account if you can use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Is there really much value in a cash-and-carry compared to the supermarkets?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Is there really much value in a cash-and-carry compared to the supermarkets?

Absolutely none.
    The supermarkets have far greater buying power than the cash and carries and thus the prices are generally lower.
    OP, what did you want to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

wyndham wrote:
    Absolutely none.
    The supermarkets have far greater buying power than the cash and carries and thus the prices are generally lower.
    OP, what did you want to buy?

Surely if that were the case, there wouldn't be any cash and carries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Supermarkets generally won't sell in sufficient quantity for someone to use a supermarket as their source of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

ejmaztec wrote:
    Surely if that were the case, there wouldn't be any cash and carries.

That is why cash and carries started the Spar/Centra/Londis/etc stores. They had to do something to fight back against the supermarkets.These are all owned and supplied entirely by Musgraves. Smaller independent shops, which are now few and far between, are supplied by cash and carries such as ValuCentre, who I believe own the Homestead brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Sorry, but there were cash and carries before supermarkets. Musgrave doesn't own any of the shops supplied by them. Each Centra/Londis/Spar/SuperValu is owned by a separate individual/company/family. They operate under the umbrella of Musgrave and get to stick the relevant branding all over their store. I think that, with SuperValu shops, each one has to buy at least 95%. or thereabouts, of their goods from Musgrave. They get the rest from local suppliers to give the impression that they're extremely interested in the local community.

You should read their history, here, see what makes them tick.

http://www.musgrave.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 28,589 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I had a cash and carry card for a few years and was never able to see that it was cheaper than the bigger supermarkets. Of course if I had been running a small shop I would have had to buy from the C & C but otherwise its not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

C&C's are good if you are having a party as you can buy bulk items such as chicken curry and the like that is normally supplied to the catering trade.

Otherwise stick to Aldi and Lidl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

C&C's are good if you are having a party as you can buy bulk items such as chicken curry and the like that is normally supplied to the catering trade.

For that stuff have a look at the Asian Market on Drury St. 5Kg bags of rice for about €6 and huge tubs of curry pastes for less than a tenner. Saves me a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭soulphish

6 years after this post....

Is this still the case? Deep in recession, are C&C's still not better value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Still cheaper in the large supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I wouldnt set foot in musgraves whatsoever if I could help it.

I use another one just across the road from my local one and they are friendly, pleasant and helpful.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Otherwise stick to Aldi and Lidl.

We used to do that for our work summer bbqs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

soulphish wrote: »
    6 years after this post....

Is this still the case? Deep in recession, are C&C's still not better value?

To be fair they can be cheaper. But you can't just go in and buy a pint of milk, a box of washing powder and a packet of rashers. They'll be in packs of twenty! Cash and carries are not suitable for individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Zombie thread - closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement