Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thomandgate, what is the area like?

Options
  • 18-04-2007 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

Folks,

I was looking at property in Limerick and I came across these two

http://www.daft.ie/1233334
    http://www.daft.ie/121665

Is there a reason why they are so cheap? Is there a demand from renters in the area? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stephen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

If you're looking for a cheapish house, go for one in Weston or Hyde Road.

personally I wouldn't live in Thomondgate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Squid what are you talking about??

Weston or Hyde road is in no way a better area then Thomondgate
    if you have ever been there you would know that.

Thomondgate is grand and il admit there is some messers around there
    but thats all they are is messers not the king pins of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

stepbar wrote:
    Is there a reason why they are so cheap?

Obviously there is , if something looks too good to be true then it usually is . What exactly were your plans for the properties for ? I can't imagine there being much demand from renters .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Disagree completely. Would much rather live in Thomondgate than either Weston or Hyde Road.

Ricey, I have lived in Weston for several years, it isnt that bad.

I would live there before thomondgate anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Were exactly is hyde road which billy mentioned earlier... once again living in limerick county leaves me useless when it comes to city areas names

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

1huge1 wrote:
    Were exactly is hyde road which billy mentioned earlier... once again living in limerick county leaves me useless when it comes to city areas names

It's a long wide road that links Childers Road (by Lidl) with Colbert Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1huge1 wrote:

Come out of Colbert Station turn left and follow the road up to the traffic lights. Straight ahead through the traffic lights and your on Hyde Road. Hyde Road brings you by Prospect and Weston.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oh ya i know it, its close enough to janesborough and jackman park, Its not the worst of areas from my experience

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

Depends what you're looking for but I wouldn't live in Thomondgate. Can't imagine there's much of a rent demand but double check with letting agents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

I'd see no problem with Thomondgate in general, but there are roads within that I'd probably steer clear of. I'm sure Billy is aware of the issues that were/are?? around Weston Gardens and very few boarded houses causing other residents trouble in terms of AntiSocial and Vermin. Not sure if it's been fixed yet, but I do know it was something that was/is being worked on.

This is less likely in Thomondgate in my experience. Having that said there are areas of Weston that are arguably better than Thomondgate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 derfen

On first impressions, i'd be leaning towards the one at 2 Boyles villas, for no other reason than it's closer to that main road along there which is not so bad.

As far as Renting goes, Limerick Institute of Technology is about 10 minutes walk from there, and plenty of students rented in that area when i was going there. I don't know if that's still the case now but probably worth looking into.

derfen :: Blog

44 Griffith Avenue is €95,00 according to Hamptons estate agents. pretty good for a semi detatched house, it is at the quiet end of Griffith avenue also.

Sexton Street North in thomondgate theres one for €115k

44 griffith avenue is on the market for €95k and it is at the quieter end of the avenue.

You could also buy one on sexton street north for €115 k, but be warned you are right on top of the stret, and the traffic on sexton street north is not only noisy, but constantly busy road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

U must be joking, trying to get him killed or the house petrol bombed.

thomondgate would be a much safer option
    thouh i cant understand why u wouldn't just pick options like raheen, dooradoyle, or castletroy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭sioda

yayamark wrote:

thouh i cant understand why u wouldn't just pick options like raheen, dooradoyle, or castletroy?

Ok a bit OTT.

Raheen Dooradoyle and defo for castletroy will not give you a bargain house.

Both areas have pros and cons.

Taking any antisocial stuff out of it.

Hyde Road is much closer to town and general facilities.

Thomondgate is over the bridge which always makes it seem further away does not have the greatest amenites.

As a person who has lived near both places I would choose hyde road if only for the ease of getting there.

Plus both houses in thomondgate are a good walk from the main drag of sexton street north

yayamark wrote:

What? in Weston? petrol bombings in weston are extremely rare.. havent heard of one happening in weston inyears. and even at that it was related to some family feud.

Random petrol bombings in weston is a myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

What? in Weston? petrol bombings in weston are extremely rare.. havent heard of one happening in weston inyears. and even at that it was related to some family feud.

Random petrol bombings in weston is a myth.

fair enough they are linked to a family feud but i wouldn't tell a friend to live there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Interesting replies. I would be looking at renting the house out but I think it would be more hassle than it is worth. I'm not getting a good vibe from the area.

When are you looking to move into said house?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

He's not as he said its for renting out.

Squid its not like you too talk crap like that
    i have loads of family in thomondgate and have
    always found it ok.

Advertisement