Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Linkin Park revamped?

• 19-04-2007 12:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭

Have to admit that new song of theirs 'what ive done' is actually fairly good, at least from a musical perspective anyway. The keyboard sounds like the Halloween theme.

Hopefully its a new direction/sound. Any toughts?

I know alot of people dont like them ok so no need to start moaning about how crap blah blah.:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Saw the video yesterday. The song bored me quickly and the fauxmotion of the video bordered on nauseating. Dull stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Oh look. Linkin park have gone Emo and changed thier sound from rap metal to suit what teh kiddies are listening to now.

Who didnt see that coming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

0ubliette wrote:
    Oh look. Linkin park have gone Emo and changed thier sound from rap metal to suit what teh kiddies are listening to now.

are you seriously complaining because a band is changing their sound to suit the way music trends are going right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

are you seriously complaining because a band is changing their sound to suit the way music trends are going right now?

Yes, yes he is...I don't really agree with the practice but a band gotta eat...and all that. The worst culprits are LostProphets though...

I dunno, I quite like the new style and it's nice to see some changes...At least it's better than the stuff they tried with Collision Course and Reanimation :rolleyes:

🤪

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

yeah, that's maddonna's thing.. who the hell do linkin park think they are to copy another artist like that, quentin tarantino?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭PCros

0ubliette wrote:

Who didnt see that coming?

Emo? Ok check that hearing aid mate. Sounds nothing like emo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

I hate it. I used to like their old stuff, but not really anymore. However if I was still a fan and they released this tripe I'd be furious!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭Dark Artist

They do write good songs. I grew tired of them and didn't listen to them for ages, but when I heard they had a new album coming out I started listening to them again. I forgot how good they are. Definitely be getting that album anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

I hate when bands change. RHCP did that and now they suck. Nothing they produce will ever be a patch on BSSM or Mother's Milk. Fcukn sell-out, radio friendly garbage. :rolleyes:

Whats the point in a band having a "sound" and being different if they're just gonna alter it to sound like everything else that's in fashion at the mo and make an easy buck? It sickens me. :mad:

And that DEF sounded Emo. Like My Chemical Romance or some sh1t. And the video was so Emo they may as well showing self harming. Maybe they did. I turned off half way through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Are you saying trend following is a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Hybrid Theory was decent enough, the songs were solid and catchy. Then they brought out Meteora which sounded almost identical. I won't even comment on the remix album or that **** they did with Gay-Z. Linkin Park are just a band that are too scared to change their sound or target audience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I just watched the new video on youtube. The first thing that came to mind is Chester Bennington is dressed like Scott Weiland (or maybe someone from a Village People tribute band). As the video progressed, with its very thought provoking imagery, I just just couldnt relate the song with what I was watching. I found it kind of unnerving to watch this slick video with the band dressed in the finest of leather (very OTT...well Chester is anyway) and then images of starving kids. I dunno I think if you are going to show bombs, famine etc at least try present yourself as a bit humble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Are you saying trend following is a good thing?

no, but this is linkin park, a band who formed during the "rap metal" phase, changed slightly with the second album to suit the markets divergence away from limp bizkit stuff, and now they're diverging away again into a lighter singer-friendly type of sound.

stop thinking of linkin park as some metal band that has to keep their "sound" for eternity because they've carved out their own niche. they're not opeth, and they're not metal. it's pop, and this is how pop artists work their magic.

i'm not a fan of linkin park myself, but i'd rather they were all over the place then girls aloud. at least the kids buying linkin park now will probably move on to some opeth (to use that analogy again) in the future.

I always said the only band that would come out of that rap metal phase would be Korn (even though they created it, they didnt do it on purpose it was a label) low and behold they did. Limp Bizkit are pretty much gone, papa roach are back to being popular only in the states, crazy town are gone and alot of the others are again, back to being popular locally.

Incubus and Deftones pulled out and changed their sound just in time with 'Morning View' and 'White Pony'
    By the way both of them have DJ's and and were both quoted saying that they were never rap metal, hmmmm.

Still Linkin Park seemed to have stayed on a little longer than expected...

no, but this is linkin park, a band who formed during the "rap metal" phase, changed slightly with the second album to suit the markets divergence away from limp bizkit stuff, and now they're diverging away again into a lighter singer-friendly type of sound.

stop thinking of linkin park as some metal band that has to keep their "sound" for eternity because they've carved out their own niche. they're not opeth, and they're not metal. it's pop, and this is how pop artists work their magic.

i'm not a fan of linkin park myself, but i'd rather they were all over the place then girls aloud. at least the kids buying linkin park now will probably move on to some opeth (to use that analogy again) in the future.

If they are pop then I declare a motion to move this thread to that forum and not have it here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Much as I'm loathe to even post in this thread, he has a point. This thread shouldn't be in this forum.

If they are pop then I declare a motion to move this thread to that forum and not have it here...

Pop=popular. Linkin Park aren't in the charts every week so give it a rest. Chumps like you wouldnt last five minutes in the music business with attitudes like that.

neGev,
    If you dont want to post on this thread then don't, nobody is forcing you! Whats worse is that you actually clicked onto this thread in the first place to type that. Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'd find it hard to call Incubus rap metal. The vocals were Boyd's own, and while he had an aggressive, almost-rap style, I think you'd be hard pushed to put Incubus alongside Limp Bizkit.

PCros wrote:
    Pop=popular. Linkin Park aren't in the charts every week so give it a rest. Chumps like you wouldnt last five minutes in the music business with attitudes like that.

Being pop has nothing to do with being in the charts every week. And why would a "chump" like me want to be in the "musak buzniz" anyways, if I had to deal with people like you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 316 ✭✭LightofDarkness

Kick his ass Brian!!!

But seriously, he's right. Linkin Park are about as metal as Papa Roach, RHCP, ie. it's just pop-rock, stuff for teenie boppers to identify as alternative and 'ard. Heck, they were assembled in a talent agency, after Chester was in a failed boyband. It goes to show that they're in it for the money and the fame, like just about all pop music. They can say differently all they want, but with LP it's always been "what Mr. Producer wants, Mr. Producer gets." Because is he gets what he wants, LP get what they want ($$$$).

END TRANSMISSION.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Mr. Producer... damn I so hate that guy :D. All together now:

We're just knocked out.
    We heard about the sell out.
    You gotta get an album out,
    You owe it to the people. We're so happy we can hardly count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Kick his ass Brian!!!

But seriously, he's right. Linkin Park are about as metal as Papa Roach, RHCP, ie. it's just pop-rock, stuff for teenie boppers to identify as alternative and 'ard. Heck, they were assembled in a talent agency, after Chester was in a failed boyband. It goes to show that they're in it for the money and the fame, like just about all pop music. They can say differently all they want, but with LP it's always been "what Mr. Producer wants, Mr. Producer gets." Because is he gets what he wants, LP get what they want ($$$$).

END TRANSMISSION.

I am not a defender of Linkin Park in any way, but I just want to clarify some "facts" you have stated.

Linkin Park (minus Chester) were not assembled by a talent agency. They were students in Art college together. They were called Xero at the time. The lead singer left after a few years, after which the band changed their name to Hybrid Theory. Chester was in a grunge band called Grey Daze (I think) and they had sent a demo to the same record company as Hybrid Theory. When Hybrid theory said they were looking for a new vocalist, the record company gave them the Grey Daze demo. They liked it, and rang Chester, and he auditioned over the phone, and they asked him to join. They changed their name to Linkin Park, annoyed us all with nu-metal (although I will admit to liking Hybrid Theory), sold out, the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

I for one like the new song, its not the same old linkin park which is a good thing cause if it was then everyone would be complaing that its the same old rap metal ****e all over again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Incubus or Deftones never used rap as a vocal style.

Never particurly liked Linkin Park but the new track is the pits.No personality whatsoever, the video is just as generic as the by the numbers commercial rock sound to the track.Completely forgetable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

PCros wrote:
    neGev,
    If you dont want to post on this thread then don't, nobody is forcing you! Whats worse is that you actually clicked onto this thread in the first place to type that. Well done!

Perhaps wondering why such a thread exists in the first place? Seeking justification for a thread about a band which is neither rock nor metal appearing in the Rock/Metal forum?
    Linkin Park are the very antithesis of metal. Pop with distorted guitars.

Don't cry because your favourite band are corporate whores. If you're able to enjoy it, then the best of luck to you. Also, make sure you pay attention when Kerrang and MTV tell you what the next big thing is, I wouldn't like you to have to start thinking for yourself.

neGev wrote:
    Don't cry because your favourite band are corporate whores.

When did I say they were my favourite band?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

#Elites wrote:
    who cares if bands sell out..if it sounds good..who the fúck cares.

Exactly.Of course LP have always sounded pretty ahite but this elitist idea that because a band is on TV they are 'sellouts' or 'traitors' is nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Orizio wrote:
    Exactly.Of course LP have always sounded pretty ahite but this elitist idea that because a band is on TV they are 'sellouts' or 'traitors' is nonsense.
    Seconded

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Lil Kitten wrote:
    And that DEF sounded Emo. Like My Chemical Romance or some sh1t. And the video was so Emo they may as well showing self harming. Maybe they did. I turned off half way through.
    Wrong. It's mind-boggling how little you obviously know about what you're talking about. Nothing about the vocal delivery, for one thing, was emo (please no-one bother pointing out wikipedia's fallibility, I'm well aware of it). Secondly, LP's lyrics were always pathetic and always appealed to the self-harming teeny-rockers. From day one. Please don't make me cite their awful, awful lyrics just to prove this.

I could go on...but whatever. It just so happens that I listen to and enjoy some bands (you've probably never heard of them: cursive, fugazi, thursday) whose music could genuinely be called "emo" in the true and traditional, non-slang sense of the word. So I won't let you go around calling terrible bands like linkin park (and to a lesser extent MCR) emo, thus implying actually talented bands guilty by an ill-informed association. Call them nu-emo or something instead if you have to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

I approve of the term nu-emo, use it a lot myself, to distinguish from Fugazi the like.

Advertisement