Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

casey1970 wrote: »
    i know someone that is going to build an extension on to their parents house, when i say extension i mean "two storey four bedroom", they have no planning permission, how do i go about getting it stopped?

Contact the council, planning department!

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

casey1970 wrote: »
    i know someone that is going to build an extension on to their parents house, when i say extension i mean "two storey four bedroom", they have no planning permission, how do i go about getting it stopped?
    You cant stop something that hasn't started.

However if the works did commence at some later date then you simply contact your local planning office and they will investigate your complaint.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭NickTellis

My planning permission decision date is tomorrow (Tuesday 7th) but I have yet to hear anything from the council. I just checked the Galway Co Co website and according to it there has been no discision made yet - does anyone know how often this site is updated?

Should I get in touch with my architect to see if he has heard any news?
    If a decision hasn't been given by EOD tomorrow is it true we automatically get full permission?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

NickTellis wrote: »
    My planning permission decision date is tomorrow (Tuesday 7th) but I have yet to hear anything from the council. I just checked the Galway Co Co website and according to it there has been no discision made yet - does anyone know how often this site is updated?

If a decision hasn't been given by EOD tomorrow is it true we automatically get full permission?

you should know tomorrow... be patient...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Usually you will not hear anything until the last minute - best bet is to call the Council tomorrow afternoon (just before close of business) - websites typically are not usually updated for a day or two. Council has actually got 3 working days to notify in writing after the decision date.

Technically you do get planning permssion by default if a decision is not made within the statutory time limit however this has to be obtained/rubber stamped through the courts! These situations are few and far between.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. We've waited long enough so I guess another day or 2 won't make much difference...

Thanks for the replies. We've waited long enough so I guess another day or 2 won't make much difference...

Unless it's refused :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Anyone have any experience of this sitution?

Were getting a 26/27Sq Metre Extenion built on the back of our single story
    bungalow, so we were told we dont need planning permission,
    However As the design has changed, part of the extension Will have a side
    kitchen door added to allow access to the back garden ( See attached )

As i have done up the plans ( To Save cost ) it now Seems we need planning
    permission for this side Door,
    I have Called the council and the told me the area is very Grey as it really only applies to windows,

Our bungalow is a Semi D, with the side entrance which will have the kitchen
    door on the new extension to get access to the side and Rear garden other than going through our bedroom

Any ideas?

R

sorry See attached

R

Hiya

Thanks for replying, These drawings are what were looking for we Are now hiring a Pro to do up the drawings and Submitting them for PP, and he Will be
    over Seeing the build also. I had a thread in the main Construction forum if you want to have a look, Budget and house layout are playing a hugh factor in the design and layout and finally were both very happy with the layout,

Now the added cost of the above will add to the budget issue, stretching us even more,

God i opened a Can of worms With this extension idea, Sigh,, :)

My main question As its seems even the council dont know was about the side door, and planning permission and because this door will be added as part of the new build part of the Extension, that we need planning permission for sure or not,

Am Confused ted

R

• Advertisement

Anyone have any experience of this sitution?

Were getting a 26/27Sq Metre Extenion built on the back of our single story
    bungalow, so we were told we dont need planning permission,
    However As the design has changed, part of the extension Will have a side
    kitchen door added to allow access to the back garden ( See attached )

As i have done up the plans ( To Save cost ) it now Seems we need planning
    permission for this side Door,
    I have Called the council and the told me the area is very Grey as it really only applies to windows,

Our bungalow is a Semi D, with the side entrance which will have the kitchen
    door on the new extension to get access to the side and Rear garden other than going through our bedroom

Any ideas?

R
    It is a gray area. I haven't seen it in the regs so its down to each planning authority to make their own determination on this issue. You can make a formal request for a declaration of exemption but if they are in any doubt they will say its not exempt and to get that in writing could take as long as getting planning permission.

My advice would be to ask your architect/technician what they think and if they would be prepared to sign off on the job as being exempted development.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

A door or window greater than 1m from the boundary on the ground floor is exempted development.... why were you told you require planning permission for this side door?

What is the exact distance in mm, of the proposed extension from the side boundary?

Check out http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2000/en/si/0181.html
    I quote the law when it states:

4. (a) Any windows proposed, in any such extension, at ground floor level, shall not be less than 1 metre from the boundary they face.

The ethos for this requirement is for privacy, as windows can overlook a property. A door is not mentioned as it is not for looking through! IMO a door is used to go from the interior to the exterior or vice versa. (Yes a door can be glazed but normally back doors have obscure glazing.. lets not get too anal, just to prove a point)

The design is fine for this extension on this semi-detached bungalow, at this size / area and on your budget. I agree that Professional advice should always be sought, but your work is no better or worse than many I've seen built.Stick to your guns.:D

Anyone that can do better is welcome to have a go! I'd be surprised if anyone could resolve your brief better than the above plan... still I might be proved wrong! Who's capable of the challange?:)

Might be time to let your fingers do the walking!

Planning issues people. Planning issues.

Retro-Fit I have moved your post to the appropriate thread. Please stay on topic.

RKQ wrote: »
    lets not get too anal, just to prove a point)
    Is that directed at me?

Is that directed at me?

No, thats not directed at anyone... simply a request to let those who enjoy "nit picking" to have a little rest and avoid confusing the OP.

To avoid some unusual reference to some obscure experience, which may have nothing to do with the OP's question.:D

Thanks Guys

Our Building surveryors, was the one who raised the point, He wasnt Sure,
    So i rang the council.
    I got three options, Retention PP later on or apply of PP now , or a kinda well its a grey area and could give you hassle when you Try to Resell but were not
    going to give you a direct answer as were just going to make your more Confused, Cheers SDCC :)

Our Surveyor is going to give me a price for doing up my drawings to submit
    and for Site visits and Cert of compliance, etc, So I will Wait and See what he says on that he did comment that Since i have all the drawings done it wouldnt cost that much as most of the work is done my me Already,

Thanks again RKQ, I need to check the exact millmetres distance,
    there is a bathroom windows already installed along that outside wall but
    with the house being 25 years old , laws would have changed since then,
    And with one being " a grey area" Im just looking for advise,

The design and layout, was the best Me and lots of input and help on boards (thanks RKQ) and having a couple of aarchitect friends have a quick glance Said while knowing the layout and Area of land this is on is by fair the best choice,

I have Soken to our Surveyor today and he says that he would go for it anyway as its not worth the risk

His words....
    While your extension may be exempt, the creation of a new door opening would generally not.

This guy taking me for a spin or should I listen to him?

R

Our C2 planning decision came in this morning and it's all good. :D
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the C2 only the planner's "recommendation" that full permission be granted? The C3, issued by the decision maker, is the official "I hereby grant you permission to spend vast amounts of money" document.

Who issues the C3? Is it a bureaucratic formality or is there even more opportunity for a major spanner to be thrown into the works?

As was mentioned the issue of a side door is not covered in the regs and different PA's and different architects/techs/surveyors will differ in their opion as to the exemption issue.

Personally if it was me I'd have no issues with signing off on that job and certifying that it is exempt providing of course that the door and any windows are 1 metre from the boundary. Some others would do likewise while the rest would insist that you get PP.

If you and/or your surveyor have any doubt at all in relation to this matter then the safest option is always to apply for planning permission for it. Its done and dusted then and there are no ambiguities hanging over the development.

Our C2 planning decision came in this morning and it's all good. :D
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the C2 only the planner's "recommendation" that full permission be granted? The C3, issued by the decision maker, is the official "I hereby grant you permission to spend vast amounts of money" document.

Who issues the C3? Is it a bureaucratic formality or is there even more opportunity for a major spanner to be thrown into the works?
    Simply put - they made a decision to grant PP and if there is no appeal within 28 days they then issue you with the final grant (C3?)

muffler wrote: »
    Simply put - they made a decision to grant PP and if there is no appeal within 28 days they then issue you with the final grant (C3?)

Cheers. Can I take down the site notice now?

• Advertisement

Cheers. Can I take down the site notice now?
    Yes.

Oh just check if you had any objections to your proposal. If there were no objections then it is unlikely (but certainly not guaranteed) that there would an appeal.

Yes.

Oh just check if you had any objections to your proposal. If there were no objections then it is unlikely (but certainly not guaranteed) that there would an appeal.

Site notice gone.
    No, no objections were lodged. We'll keep our heads down and smile politely at all the neighbours for the next month just to be sure. :D

Site notice gone.
    That was quick :D

That was quick :D

The less people who see it the less chance there are for ;)bjections...

As was mentioned the issue of a side door is not covered in the regs and different PA's and different architects/techs/surveyors will differ in their opion as to the exemption issue.

Personally if it was me I'd have no issues with signing off on that job and certifying that it is exempt providing of course that the door and any windows are 1 metre from the boundary. Some others would do likewise while the rest would insist that you get PP.

I agree fully. It is also difficult to get an informed decision over the phone as people are careful not to say too much when they haven't seen the site. We must also be careful not to be "mis-quoted" as we haven't had the benefit of a site inspection.

I understand that the main reason for bringing in S.I. No. 181/2000 — Local Government (Planning and Development) Regulations, 2000, was an attempt to free up the Planning process from small extensions. It was hoped that this would allow Planning Departments, more time to deal with larger domestic & commercial projects.

I don't see the side door as an issue. The proposed extension is exempt IMO, the existing side window would only strengthen this as it sets a precedent.(Provided it is 1000mm from the side boundary. Any dimension or photo?):confused:

I am sure your Surveyor is experienced and professional and is therefore not trying to increase his fee, as he / she is obligated by professional conduct.
    Maybe its just a case of "Doctors differ, patients die".:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Silently loud

Hi ,

I am very new to this (just been looking for 20mins to find this post)

I have a site just over third of an acre. but I want to apply for permission to build. thing is every one is saying we wont get it because the site is small.

now the tricky bit:

there was a house a two story house years ago (my partners father knocked it down... I KNOW i am so annoyed)

so i was thinking wouldnt it be classed as a residential property?

also their is a graveyard right next door people were saying that they wont leave us build because of the graveyard ( i heard that in macroom they put a housing estate around the grave yard so i took photos as a back up for our case.)

Do you think i am wasting my time applying?

any help would be fab

Thanks Guys Muffler and RKQ

Yeh I think he is just trying to cover himself and myself so am feeling
    better about it,

Will See What he Says and what quote he give me ,

I need to messure and get a photo for and put it up,
    Wid do that later

Cheers Guys

R

Hi ,

I am very new to this (just been looking for 20mins to find this post)

I have a site just over third of an acre. but I want to apply for permission to build. thing is every one is saying we wont get it because the site is small.

now the tricky bit:

there was a house a two story house years ago (my partners father knocked it down... I KNOW i am so annoyed)

so i was thinking wouldnt it be classed as a residential property?

also their is a graveyard right next door people were saying that they wont leave us build because of the graveyard ( i heard that in macroom they put a housing estate around the grave yard so i took photos as a back up for our case.)

Do you think i am wasting my time applying?

any help would be fab
    Different planning authorities have different requirements in relation to site sizes. You should check this out in their development plan or maybe even a quick phone call to the planning off ice will sort out the size issue. Graveyard Im not sure about - there is always a possibility that it could be classed as an archaeological complex or similar. Again this can be checked out with the local planning dept.

based on the points you have made (old house on site etc) I would suggest that you look for a pre-planning meeting with the planner for the area. Again, ring the local planning office and they will explain how they operate their pre planning meetings.

Its worth a shot anyhow.

Hi

Well messured the side entrance to the house Your not going to believe this
    Its under 3 foot by about 4 inchs, sigh ,

I have attached images, the first from the front of the house and then half way down, and then the back,

You can make out the garden gate and the small sun room at the back , which is coming down, you can see the line about an inch behind the back gate, thats were the sunroom starts, ( thank god its Coming down We didnt build it so ) and you can see at the back , where the plants starts a few feet back further will be the end of the extension, This back door will face the fence and will be build into the addon secton of the extension,.
    Its over 3ft to the fence from where the extension side will be (3ft 7inchs,)

Thanks

Rob

• Advertisement

Good photos -
    3ft 7inch = 43inches or 1092mm - thats more than 1000mm.
    Construction & Planning is black and white. Its either exempt or it isn't - if its 1092mm from centre-line of side boundary, then its exempt!

I assume your proposed rear garden will be over 25sqm in area and the new side door will be below the existing iron gate - in the area screened by the high fence. (Preceedent for existing window and sun-room)

Advertisement