Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Well messured the side entrance to the house Your not going to believe this
    Its under 3 foot by about 4 inchs, sigh ,

Its over 3ft to the fence from where the extension side will be (3ft 7inchs,)
    Im a little confused. Is the fence running at an angle?

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Nope

Im waiting For the boundry plans to be Sent out at the moment

Im messureing form the Fences,

From the photos of the front of the house and up to the gate its almost a metre,

Our neighbors installed the fence From behind the gate, The builder who installed the fence , took out the broken up old fence and build this one on the boundry.
    We are messuring to the Fence posts on our side and there over 1000mm, (over a Metre)

Rob

Is the extension to be stepped in from the side wall of the house?

As I said above Im a bit confused as you have given 2 different dimensions - one would leave you in a position whereby you will have to get PP and the other would render the extension as being exempt.

Hiya

No its not, it will follow the house wall As in ,

As per the photos, the sun room will be removed and the external Wall will extent out,. 15 feet,

Dont say Im going to have To start planning permission

Boo hoo...

R

You didnt read my post at the top of the page. You give 2 different dimensions. All Im looking for is clarification in relation to the dimensions.

Or to put it more simply - how far exactly will the wall of the new extension be from your boundary wall/fence?

• Advertisement

Hi Muffler,

Hmmm i Responded above,

Anyway Out Extension will be over the metre From the boundry (just over the 1m) I suppose its Seems the boundry from the front of the house And Side
    entrance is slighty less, that the 1m and after the gate which was installed
    at the very end of the house (before the Sun room was build) But after the gate, the boundry opens up to just over the metre.

One of the reasons I have requested form the land registry the boundry plans , to be sure to be Sure,

R

Hi Muffler,

Hmmm i Responded above,

Anyway Out Extension will be over the metre From the boundry (just over the 1m) I suppose its Seems the boundry from the front of the house And Side
    entrance is slighty less, that the 1m and after the gate which was installed
    at the very end of the house (before the Sun room was build) But after the gate, the boundry opens up to just over the metre.

One of the reasons I have requested form the land registry the boundry plans , to be sure to be Sure,

R
    Ah sorry, I was getting mixed up with the different dimensions.

Well if the extension is 1000mm from the boundary then you should be fine but as I pointed out previously other people may interpret the regulations differently so you should talk this over with whoever is going to sign off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

Hello

we have a 1.25 acre site with a single storey cottage 800sq ft, with private well and septic tank. We're going to apply to Meath CoCo for replacement dwelling (4 bed 2000sq ft). We're not holding out much hope for the soil suitability test so I'm wondering what are our options considering there's an existing septic tank.
    Please don't say get another site we've already bought and owner wouldn't allow us to do the test. We're an environmentally friendly family so all options would be of interest to us.
    thanks in advance, I'm worried.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Newgirl wrote: »
    Hello

we have a 1.25 acre site with a single storey cottage 800sq ft, with private well and septic tank. We're going to apply to Meath CoCo for replacement dwelling (4 bed 2000sq ft). We're not holding out much hope for the soil suitability test so I'm wondering what are our options considering there's an existing septic tank.
    Please don't say get another site we've already bought and owner wouldn't allow us to do the test. We're an environmentally friendly family so all options would be of interest to us.

i would recommend keeping the cottage and getting a very sympathetic extension designed..... mush easier to get planning, also is more environmentally friendly... ie you dont need to purchase 800 sq ft worth of new material...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with Syd...Extending the existing dwelling is your best option.

• Advertisement

Hello

A lot would depend on the condition of the cottage. Extend, usually but certainly not always the best option.

Going back to your original query why not look for a pre planning meeting with the local planner and discuss your options with her/him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

muffler wrote: »
    A lot would depend on the condition of the cottage. Extend, usually but certainly not always the best option.

Going back to your original query why not look for a pre planning meeting with the local planner and discuss your options with her/him.

Newgirl, be cautious, juast because you have a spetic tank on an old house dosnt always mean anything, here in Mayo if you apply for planning to extend an existing dwelling with an old septic tank if you increase the number of bedrooms they will look for a new tank / system so you will still need a perc test.

Im not sure how quoting my post is relevant to your point No6

Sorry muffler, I mean while I agree with you and hence the quote that she should go for a preplanning to establish the requirements of the LA in relation to extensions and existing septic tanks she may end up needing a perc test / new septic tank anyway depending on what size extension she wants. Local professional advice is probably the best first option!!

Ah thats grand. I was puzzled there for a minute. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OK2

Hi Newgirl

You say that you are not holding out much hope for the site suitability test. Why dont you have an engineer assess the site and possiblly carry out the test. You would then know where you stand striaght away.

As already mentioned, if you extend the cottage to include extra bedrooms you will have to (1) prove that the existing septic tank is capable of dealing with the additonal loading from the exta bedrooms (2) If it is not, you will be required to upgrade the treatment system.
    I am basing this on the fact that you would have to extend the cottage by at least 1000 sq/f to come close to your newbuild option.

Also, government guidelines are becoming ore strict on demolishing habitable dwellings. If the cottage has 4 walls and a roof it can be termed habitable.

I would recommend getting an engineer to look at the percolation situation and talk to a Council planner re: demolishing the cottage.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

I agree with OK2. A soil test will answer alot of your queries, in fact a good Tester will likely know from looking at the trial hole and previous tests in your area, if the site is likely to pass. Contact the Council for a list of approved Testers.

My main reason for recommending an extension is as follows
    • IMO It is easier to get permission for an extension rather than a new build, especially regarding sewerage because the Royal Commission of c1910, refers to sewerage treatment. It is extremely likely that you will be required to carry out a Soil Test if constructing new bedrooms. The Royal Commission is one of the first laws regarding sewerage. Its an obscure reference but it can help. It can be possible to have strict recommendations relaxed for existing houses, if necessary. ( A new biological treatment plant etc will be an improvement on an old septic tank)
    • As said above, it is rare to find a structure (4 walls and a roof) that can not be refurbished. It may cost money, all construction does, but its not impossible. The existing dwelling gives you a right to live on that land as its a habital house. However, once you want to demolish a house and build anew, even phycologically its seen as new build.
    • New build with bad percolation can be extremely difficult!
    Of course if you'd prefer a new build then go for it. Speak to the local Planner then have a preliminary soil test carried out. Let us know how you get on.

This may not be the right place for this so please feel free to move it...
    Is there any restrictions on exempted development other than those listed in Schedule 2. I currently have a situation where a client has a cottage beside a ring fort in the exclusion zone. Is an exempt extension permitted here? Anyone with similar experience?

Article 9. (1). (vii) on page 12 here would probably cover what you refer to.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

thanks for all the replies
    Soil test was done on monday will post results asap.
    and bring ou up to speed on the story so far

• Advertisement

thanks for all the replies
    Soil test was done on monday will post results asap.
    and bring ou up to speed on the story so far
    Yeah, keep us updated on events. Its also helpful for others who may have a similar problem to read how you approached and dealt with the matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭rob308

hi all

i was at a pre-planning meeting this morning and was told that i lived too far from where i proposed to build. carlow co.co said its roughly 5 miles and i'm 6 about a half. also the proposed site is on my unles land. have i got any hope here with this as people are giving me differing answers as to how to proceed or not. also what is the legality of this 5 mile rule. is it an absolute or should i chance it anyway. i dont really want to forget about it. any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Whats your housing need? I have some expierence with Carlow Co Co

sorry, what do you mean exactly by that

What reason do you have to need to build a house, i.e. are you still living at home, are you renting and don't own a house, or is your house too small for your family etc?

i am still living at home (far too long now:D)

Cool well I was in the exact same position a year ago, i.e. living at home and site was 6 miles away and I got planning without any problems.

Get a map of the area, show your current house and the site don't put a distance on it, now show every relative on that map i.e. put a number and reference that number with details of the relative, I even showed my granmothers birthplace on it.

Once you have a connection to the area and have a housing need you should get it no problem, do you have many relatives near where the site is, including past relatives who are deceased or moved but once lived there?

Villain wrote: »
    Cool well I was in the exact same position a year ago, i.e. living at home and site was 6 miles away and I got planning without any problems.

Get a map of the area, show your current house and the site don't put a distance on it, now show every relative on that map i.e. put a number and reference that number with details of the relative, I even showed my granmothers birthplace on it.

Once you have a connection to the area and have a housing need you should get it no problem, do you have many relatives near where the site is, including past relatives who are deceased or moved but once lived there?

i have a cousin living within a mile and a half. my mothers homeplace is within 4 miles and they are buried about the same away. my fathers homeplace is in about the same radius and also another cousin. do you think this will help my case

I would bet my hat that you will get planning, if you want I can pm you my planning application number and you can go in and view it and see what I did to get it, I really don't think you'll have a problem, oh and get a councillor on the case before you put the application in, local elections next year.

What area of Carlow is it in?

• Advertisement

near hacketstown. any councillor you recommend from that area or where are you at

Advertisement