Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

burly wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply guys. The land is zoned A1 on the Meath Development Plan, which means "to protect and enhance the amenity of developed residential communities".

Im thinking of asking a local trusted valuer (can you trust valuers?!!)
    what would be more appealing to a buyer, OPP or FPP,
    or whether we would be better off selling the land with no PP. Access to a public sewer is easy, and plenty of road frontage.

If access is to a public sewer then it changes things a lot.....

generally, connections to a public sewer change the designation of a house from rural to suburban..... so local need may not apply at all...

if this is the case then a site for sale with OPP seems like the best financial option..... but it begs the question whether 1 site is a good use of the land??

it sounds like you have no professional input yet.... i think you need to talk to someone experienced in applications in your area

you also need to organise a preplanning meeting with the local planner...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

burly wrote: »
    The land is zoned A1 on the Meath Development Plan, which means "to protect and enhance the amenity of developed residential communities".

what would be more appealing to a buyer, OPP or FPP, or whether we would be better off selling the land with no PP. Access to a public sewer is easy, and plenty of road frontage.

IMO Outline Permission is fine, no house design required so its cheaper on you but its also good for the purchaser - no predetermined house "design".

I recently applied for a cluster in an area 1 with residential restrictions / local need, as advised by the Planner - we were refused Full Permission but later granted Outline Permission! A condition of planning restricts the occupant to "local need applicant".

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Yeah I would concur with what the lads have said. Outline permission would be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Old Jim

The planning office have requested more information on my planning app. They have asked for Land Registry Maps, Folio and File Number of my family home/lands to demonstrate a local housing need.
    Anyone know where I would go about getting these items. Does the land owner have to request them? If so, from where?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Jim, the landowners solicitor should have copies of any folios in ownership of his/her clients. If not copies can be got from Land Registry. Copies od folios from counties Kerry, Cork, Waterford, Tipperary (could be more) can be got over the counter at the Waterford office for a very small fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

Hi,

i was just wondering, if we were granted our planning permission
    can you at the construction stage, add on the likes of an extention
    that would be under the size, that you need to apply for?
    i heard you have to wait 6months or so to do this?

and if you did want to ad on at the build stage, what would be the proceedure in doing this.

thanks for any info.
    Robert

You cant extend the house (under exempted development) until it is complete.

If you wished to build something additional at construction stage you would have to make a formal planning application for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Rodred, if you were my Client I would try to explain your query, in layman terms as follows - your planning permission is a contract between you and your local concil, to construct a structure as shown on the drawings submitted. Conditions listed in Grant of Permission.

Any change, at building stage will breach or invalidate the contract and a new contract will be required - this will involve a new application, either for a new permission / house type or a retention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Hi there
    Am toying with the idea of building a home studio at the back of my garden. I read earlier in this forum that i might not require pp if it is under 25m squared. What i need to know is

1 Do I require pp for this size build.

2 There would be some noise (i think), i would be getting it soundproofed but i'm assuming there would be some leakage.

3 What kind of price ballpark would i be to get a draughtsman to draw something up and if i decided to go ahead?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Hi Bluefinger as a fellow musician I'll help you out here.

Yes you are allowed build a shed or similar structure of 25m² or less without planning permission provided you dont already have a shed or garage or similar structure. It's a Class 3 exempted development in Schedule 2 Part 1 of the planning regs. (muffler or some of the other lads here may have a direct link to it) Please check it out as there are a lot of other little rules to be aware of.

Sound proofing is technically possible but expensive but if you are in a built up area and recording live bands late at night you're looking for trouble. The best job is a room within a room type thing with masses of rockwool, all floating, ie isolated from the main structure.

The cost of drawing it up will vary depends on what part of the country you are in and what level of detail you require. Obviously a set of detailed drawings for a isolated soundproofed structure will cost a lot more than a simple drawing for a exempt garage!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

thanks Muffler & RKQ

can i ask how long you have to wait untill the constuction of an extention
    can commence??

thanks
    Rob

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

rodred wrote: »
    thanks Muffler & RKQ

can commence??

thanks
    Rob
    You can start after the house is complete and signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Looking for advice on an unusual question.

I applied for and was granted permission for a house extension in 2002.
    Last week it was discovered that the site location map was wrong. The wrong site was outlined in red.

In order to rectify the situation I'm considering;
    1. Asking the Council to change the site location ref. on their maps by submitting a new OS map with site (house) shown in correct location.
    2. Making new application for retention. This could create problems (and expense) as under current Council policy I would need to confirm septic tank is adequate for larger house.

I may not require planning as extension is single storey to rear and is less than 40m2.. I'm not sure when taht reg. came into force.

Advice, opinions much appreciated.

I applied for and was granted permission for a house extension in 2002. Last week it was discovered that the site location map was wrong. The wrong site was outlined in red.

If you're talking about a site in the countryside as opposed to a particular street No., in a town or village, and if the site as outlined does not overlap the site on the ground. Then, the planning permission as granted does not apply to your house and site. Otherwise it should be possible to alter and amend.
    I may not require planning as extension is single storey to rear and is less than 40m2.. I'm not sure when taht reg. came into force.

11th March 2002, check out SI No.600 of 2001.
    (muffler had this date a few times recently in other threads)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Last week it was discovered that the site location map was wrong. The wrong site was outlined in red.

In order to rectify the situation I'm considering;
    1. Asking the Council to change the site location ref. on their maps by submitting a new OS map with site (house) shown in correct location.
    2. Making new application for retention. This could create problems (and expense) as under current Council policy I would need to confirm septic tank is adequate for larger house.

Advice, opinions much appreciated.

get a cert of exemption done now if the floor area is less than 40 sq m...

I have come across this a few times down the years and retention was the order of the day.

Different PAs may look on it differently but the stand they take in Donegal is that you get permission for whatever is "inside the red line"

The extension may be exempt now however but if you had to apply for retention it would do no harm to discuss it first with the planner and gently point out that they should have picked up on this during a site inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Advice greatly appreciated.
    Will discuss with Planning technicians and maybe apply for Cert. of exemption.
    Back in 2002 they accepted a 6" map as a Site location map.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rodred
    thanks Muffler & RKQ

can commence??

thanks
    Rob
    smashey wrote: »
    You can start after the house is complete and signed off.

Rodred - it may be cost-effective for you to have the foundations for this "proposed future" Exemption done at the same time as your Main house, in preparation for you adding it later on.

rok wrote: »
    Rodred - it may be cost-effective for you to have the foundations for this "proposed future" Exemption done at the same time as your Main house, in preparation for you adding it later on.

While what you are saying makes sense from a construction point of view, it could get the op into a lot of trouble with the LA, as it is in contravention of the planning regulations.

rok wrote: »
    I will let you off with that remark providing you read the charter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 digitalpoggy

i was wondering if any1 could tell me if i need planning permission to install a satellit dish, 80cm in size?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jakartajim

i was wondering if any1 could tell me if i need planning permission to install a satellit dish, 80cm in size?
    You can install a dish up to (*i think*) 1.1m on your house - as long as it does not protrude from the front facade of the dwelling.

However, there are cases where housing estates which have managment companies involved - ban home owners from erecting dishes full stop. In this case, you would have signed an agreement to that effect when purchasing. As a point of curiousity, would be interested if anyone has the knowledge as regards whether this is enforceable (as have come across a real life example)??

I would be interested to hear views on the following. If I was to locate a 'mobile home' at the side/rear of my property, would I be contravening irish planning law?
    To give you an idea of what I have in mind, I have come across a log cabin from a UK/Estonian supplier. It is mounted on a frame and according to them classed as a mobile structure. On their website, they suggest that as a result, it does not require (uk) planning consent ie its exempt. My question is would this also be the case under irish planning law?

(As an aside, from a practical point of view, the cabin would be very sympathetically located - unseen from the front of my house due to planting. No neighbours to the side I will be placing it. You can never say for certain, but its very unlikely any of my neighbours would have a problem with it).

Disclaimer: Mods please note that my query relates to working within whatever planning law is in place. Not trying to contravene - just work within the law to suit my own purposes.

jakartajim wrote: »
    I would be interested to hear views on the following. If I was to locate a 'mobile home' at the side/rear of my property, would I be contravening irish planning law?
    To give you an idea of what I have in mind, I have come across a log cabin from a UK/Estonian supplier. It is mounted on a frame and according to them classed as a mobile structure. On their website, they suggest that as a result, it does not require (uk) planning consent ie its exempt. My question is would this also be the case under irish planning law?

(As an aside, from a practical point of view, the cabin would be very sympathetically located - unseen from the front of my house due to planting. No neighbours to the side I will be placing it. You can never say for certain, but its very unlikely any of my neighbours would have a problem with it).

Disclaimer: Mods please note that my query relates to working within whatever planning law is in place. Not trying to contravene - just work within the law to suit my own purposes.
    A mobile home requires permission so I'd say the same rules apply.

smashey wrote: »
    A mobile home requires permission so I'd say the same rules apply.
    On average, would there be a lesser degree of difficulty in obtaining planning given the structure is classed as mobile as opposed to a fixed structure??

(I know it depends on exact circumstances but just looking for a general guideline)

jakartajim wrote: »
    On average, would there be a lesser degree of difficulty in obtaining planning given the structure is classed as mobile as opposed to a fixed structure??

(I know it depends on exact circumstances but just looking for a general guideline)
    You definitely need permission and unless you can demonstrate that its only to be used on a short term basis then you could possibly encounter problems with your application.

Other people are using these structures as a permanent residence and I would imagine the PA will take the same view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

i am currently preparing a planning application for a client which involves the construction of a two story extension to an existing two story house. my question concerns the requirement to get a perculation test done. the existing dwelling is been lived in and has a working septic tank, however the client does intend to replace the existing septic tank and replace it with a more eco friendly system. are we required to get a perculation test? am i required it indicate the new and old system on the relevant site plan? am i required to mention the change in the newspaper notice? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

i am currently preparing a planning application for a client which involves the construction of a two story extension to an existing two story house. my question concerns the requirement to get a perculation test done. the existing dwelling is been lived in and has a working septic tank, however the client does intend to replace the existing septic tank and replace it with a more eco friendly system. are we required to get a perculation test? am i required it indicate the new and old system on the relevant site plan? am i required to mention the change in the newspaper notice? any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Yes to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

thanks for your reply. however i would have thought that because there is an existing septic tank already in use on the site that that would suggest that the ground is already suitable and there would be no need to do a test. is it always mandatory to do perculation test for all extentions?

• Advertisement

thanks for your reply. however i would have thought that because there is an existing septic tank already in use on the site that that would suggest that the ground is already suitable and there would be no need to do a test. is it always mandatory to do perculation test for all extentions?
    No its not but your client proposes to decommission the existing septic tank and install a different type of treatment system.

Having a tank on the site does not indicate that it is suitable. There most likely would not have been a site assessment carried out prior to the installation of the ex. tank.

Advertisement