Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Some planning authorities will require, as a request for further info., that a certified Site suitability assessor form their approved list confirms that the existing septic tanl and percolation area are suitable for the new development.
    In my opinion most if not all old septic tanks and percolation areas are not suitable. This means a Site suitability test would need to be done in order to determine what system best suits the site.
    This requirement may not apply in your area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 mr president

sound advice, will get the test done. another question however: is it necessary to include levels on drawings, (ridge, eaves etc). as part of the build will involve raising the wall and ridge level of the existing building, is it possible to express these as figured dimensions only to avoid having to do a survey? to put the site in context it is in the middle of nowhere with no over looking neighbours and can see no reason why there will be any objections from anyone. i am more concerned of sending in the application and getting it sent back for missing levels . thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

i am currently preparing a planning application for a client which involves the construction of a two story extension to an existing two story house. my question concerns the requirement to get a perculation test done. the existing dwelling is been lived in and has a working septic tank, however the client does intend to replace the existing septic tank and replace it with a more eco friendly system. are we required to get a perculation test? am i required it indicate the new and old system on the relevant site plan? am i required to mention the change in the newspaper notice? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

If you replace the septic tank you need planning for it, therefore you need to do a site assessment, show it on the site plan and state that you are installing a new septic tank in the site notices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

is it necessary to include levels on drawings, (ridge, eaves etc).

It depends on the Validation at your local Council. Some do insist on contour levels for existing and proposed dwellings, while others don't require levels for extensions to existing - check with your Council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Home4Life

a chairde:

(Apologies for the awful formatting - now hopefully corrected Muffler.

two quick ones:

1 Limit on Velux windows:

I plan to put in 2 velux windows facing my back garden,
    each 980 x 780 mm - (0.76 * 2 = 1.5 m2)

is this ok without planning?

2 Is there no limit to solar panel area on a roof?

I plan to put in 3m2 of solar panels, this will have a footprint of 4m2

3 I know this is a basic question, but what the average rear roof area

]of a 4 bed semi house?

Thanks
    H4L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Could you re-post that again using boards.ie default text setting. You have obviously copied and pasted from another source.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Home4Life wrote: »
    a chairde:

(Apologies for the awful formatting - now hopefully corrected Muffler.

two quick ones:

1 Limit on Velux windows:

I plan to put in 2 velux windows facing my back garden,
    each 980 x 780 mm - (0.76 * 2 = 1.5 m2)

2 Is there no limit to solar panel area on a roof?

I plan to put in 3m2 of solar panels, this will have a footprint of 4m2

3 I know this is a basic question, but what the average rear roof area

]of a 4 bed semi house?

Thanks
    H4L

1. its debatable, but the common consensus is that roof lights to the rear are exempt.

2. theres a limit of 6 sq meters.

3. really depends, but somewhere in the region of 45-55 would be average

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Curious Geroge

Hi all, I see this has been a fairly active thread for some time so hoping to get a reply to this post.

With the big "R" about so much these days, have the planners laid off the ordinary joe or are we still been forced to build the matchbox with no angles and zero design ? Seems that the only ones that are allowed to build anything reseambling architectural value is the builders with the contacts.. Planning to go fwd with planning but local planners are telling me there only the two types of house ii can build, a single story or a two story match box.. This flies directly in the face of the multi level glass houses that local builders are getting in but all the planners I've visited have recommended the same.. Any ideas or help on my best approach would be great..

I'm in Galway county and tougher again, in the restricted building limitation but local so presume i'm ok..

With the big "R" about so much these days, have the planners laid off the ordinary joe or are we still been forced to build the matchbox with no angles and zero design ? Seems that the only ones that are allowed to build anything reseambling architectural value is the builders with the contacts..

Seek Professional help from an experienced Architectural Technician or Architect. Design is subjective, so I suppose it depends on what you call resembling architectural value.

Most Counties have examples of very modern contemporary design. Of course there is a fine line between good design and garish design.
    local planners are telling me there only the two types of house ii can build, a single story or a two story match box..

Very strange choice.... can't understand it as floor area seems more of an issue than height. Maybe have another meeting, giving clear reasons for your design proposals. A good design will relate to the site, its contours, features and surroundings. It won't stick out like a sore thump and its should not look mundane.

George I would suggest that you engage the services of a local Architect / Technologist / Engineer who is dealing with the planners in the area of your site on a regular basis. They can advise you, or if you want some light reading before you go back to work download the Co Development Plan, any local area plan for your area and any rural housing guidelines if available. Make sure you comply with the local housing need rules before you spend any money don't assume just because you're local you're entitled to build

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Does anyone know what the story is about field entrances?
    A local farmer has just knocked down part of the ditch on a local road without applying for planning permission - does he need it? There is an existing entrance from another road.

Essexboy wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the story is about field entrances?
    A local farmer has just knocked down part of the ditch on a local road without applying for planning permission - does he need it? There is an existing entrance from another road.
    Short answer - yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

muffler wrote: »
    Short answer - yes.

Thanks. May be more to this than meets the eye.

hey everyone,
    currently prepareing a planning app for an extension. the planning dept have told me that i need contours on the site plan and levels on the new and existing structures on the plans elevations etc. i intend to do a survey at the weekend. my question is, are the local datums / benchmarks shown on the OS maps? if not, what is the best way to locate them?

hey everyone,
    currently prepareing a planning app for an extension. the planning dept have told me that i need contours on the site plan and levels on the new and existing structures on the plans elevations etc. i intend to do a survey at the weekend. my question is, are the local datums / benchmarks shown on the OS maps? if not, what is the best way to locate them?
    It varies. You may get the datum on some area and not others. Just use the centre of the road as a TBM and work from that.

Use a Discovery Map 1:50000 scale to get an approximate level above Ordanance Datum (within 10m) and use that level as a Temporary Bench Mark

does that mean i can just call the centre of the road +00.000 and work out all levels in relation to that and use them on the dwgs? showing on the site plan the point i used as a TBM. sorry if im getting you all wrong here. thanks for your help all the same.

No6 wrote: »
    Use a Discovery Map 1:50000 scale to get an approximate level above Ordanance Datum (within 10m) and use that level as a Temporary Bench Mark

where can i view a discovery map? never heard the term before. cheers.

sorry....i get ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

does that mean i can just call the centre of the road +00.000 and work out all levels in relation to that and use them on the dwgs? showing on the site plan the point i used as a TBM. sorry if im getting you all wrong here. thanks for your help all the same.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055426958

cheers guys, think i have it sorted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

Hi,

i am about to lodge planning in Dlrcoco, and was wondering
    about the contribution to local infrastructure to the council.

can anyone tell me what or how much these contributions are likley
    to be. is it doen on a precentage of build or site costs???

any info is much appreciated.

cheers
    Rob

rodred wrote: »
    Hi,

i am about to lodge planning in Dlrcoco, and was wondering
    about the contribution to local infrastructure to the council.

can anyone tell me what or how much these contributions are likley
    to be. is it doen on a precentage of build or site costs???

any info is much appreciated.

cheers
    Rob
    No idea but have a trawl through their online planning site and look for permissions granted recently for houses and have a look through them.

Alternatively just give them a ring and you should get the answer. When i think of it your agent should know.

Also have a look at this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭littlecbear

Hello

I am building a house for which pp was granted back in '04. The permission is for a septic tank. The house I am building will have composting toilets so we only need to be concenred with waste water disposal. I contacted the planners asking if I could install a willow bed system for greywater disposal rather than a septic tank. Surprise surprise the planners said no.

Is there any point putting up a fight against this? From what I have read septic tanks are inefficient and smelly (prob wont be in our case as it wont contain black water waste) whereas our proposed alternative is eco friendly and efficient it just seems like stupid bureaucracy to me!

Any advice?

I am building a house for which pp was granted back in '04. The permission is for a septic tank. The house I am building will have composting toilets so we only need to be concenred with waste water disposal.

Any advice?

Comply fully with the Conditions of your 2004 Planning Permission.

Composting toilets are a nice eco idea but there are no statutory test results, IAB certs or EPA recommendations on their use. So in a planning or Envirnomental sense, they don't exist. (Reed beds are being tested by EPA)

Septic tanks may or may not be fantastic but they are legal, tested and approved. The septic tank is a condition of your contract with the Council. Keep it legal - comply with your permission.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Hello

I am building a house for which pp was granted back in '04. The permission is for a septic tank. The house I am building will have composting toilets so we only need to be concenred with waste water disposal. I contacted the planners asking if I could install a willow bed system for greywater disposal rather than a septic tank. Surprise surprise the planners said no.

Is there any point putting up a fight against this? From what I have read septic tanks are inefficient and smelly (prob wont be in our case as it wont contain black water waste) whereas our proposed alternative is eco friendly and efficient it just seems like stupid bureaucracy to me!

Any advice?

I would imagine that the bulk of the waste exiting the house will actually be from showers, baths, sinks, washing machines etc. so I dont think the toilets will make an impact. Keeping the septic tank etc. will allow you to convert back to conventional toilets if necessary.
    If planning was granted in '04 you'd want to get the skates on:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 eatsloads

My house backs onto Bettyglen house in Raheny. Can be seen on

http://www.chrisryan.ie/ (go to Projects/Conservation/Bettyglen House)

Beautiful area, big old trees and not over looked at rear. Original planning application to build apt block beside Bettyglen house was rejected but on appeal part of the planning went through. New Site notice now in place with 'smaller' proposal....the gable end to the new proposal is directly to the back of my wall.....Block B on the site plan on website above......My sunlight will be completely taken......How do I lodge my objection to this? How far can I go with my objection.......Any help would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

eatsloads wrote: »
    My house backs onto Bettyglen house in Raheny. Can be seen on

http://www.chrisryan.ie/ (go to Projects/Conservation/Bettyglen House)

Beautiful area, big old trees and not over looked at rear. Original planning application to build apt block beside Bettyglen house was rejected but on appeal part of the planning went through. New Site notice now in place with 'smaller' proposal....the gable end to the new proposal is directly to the back of my wall.....Block B on the site plan on website above......My sunlight will be completely taken......How do I lodge my objection to this? How far can I go with my objection.......Any help would be great

Thanks

You dont need a professional to word it for you but you'll only get one chance to write it so I would advise going to a planning consultant (a real one with qualifications!!).
    They should be able to include all the valid reasons for the development to be refused and provide backing for them.

Slig wrote: »
    You dont need a professional to word it for you but you'll only get one chance to write it so I would advise going to a planning consultant (a real one with qualifications!!).
    They should be able to include all the valid reasons for the development to be refused and provide backing for them.
    Way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

currently applied for planning for a 1 1/2 storey in a rural area house in north tipp before christmas. a neighbour has lodges an objection based on 3 areas (excuse my ignorace im new to the planning game)

1 the landscaping plan had planting of trees that were 15 metres from his house. the same neighbour removed the hedgerow bounding the site 15 years ago. wondering is there a min distance

2 the lights cars would invade his privacy. the drive is 40-50 metres away from house at nearest point and would have min impact due to the orientation of the drive. also to note the neighbours house is angled to the road and is constantly impacted by passing traffic due to timber fence and being 10ft from the road

3 the floor level would of the proposed house would be 3 metres above his and the house would invade his privacy. the propsed house is over 120 metres from his.

just wondering what would the outcome be like with the planners
    also what are the options available to me

• Advertisement

Everyone has a democratic right to object to a planning application, if they feel it will deminish their privacy, health or daylight. However, an Objector would be wise to seek professional advice and keep objections to points within planning law.

1. Landscaping is not structure. Trees can be omitted as a condition of planning, if the Planner agrees with your neighbour. Trees usually add privacy and shelter.

2. Car headlights IMO is not a planning issue. I assume there is a public road beside the existing property!

3. How is your proposed floor level 3m above your neighbours??
    This is a concern and may be quite a valid objection. Maybe your proposed landscaping will offset this problem. Can you give more details?

There is nothing you can do about the objection. If the Planner requests Further Info, then you may get a chance to address your neighbours concerns. The Planner will maKe a decision based on your application, the objection and the Development Plan. Sit back and wait, Good luck!

Advertisement