Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Steve31

Thanks.. told u I was a newbie.. haha

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Newgirl

We did a preplanning meeting last Sept to discuss renovating a cottage, the planner mentioned replacement and at last we have drawings we're happy with. I've exchanged about three emails with the planner since our meeting and she suggested I send in our drawings. I emailed them at begining of April and she hasn't replied. Our local councillor reminded her and she said she would reply. But my question is should I wait or just submit the design we have?

Also what sight lines should we show the house is on a country road, there are no speed signs on it.
    thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Newgirl wrote: »
    We did a preplanning meeting last Sept to discuss renovating a cottage, the planner mentioned replacement and at last we have drawings we're happy with. I've exchanged about three emails with the planner since our meeting and she suggested I send in our drawings. I emailed them at begining of April and she hasn't replied. Our local councillor reminded her and she said she would reply. But my question is should I wait or just submit the design we have?

Also what sight lines should we show the house is on a country road, there are no speed signs on it.
    thank you
    Drop a letter in and mark it FAO the planner you met. Indicate that you are publishing the notice in the paper on say 2nd May and ask her to reply to you before that. In real terms they are obliged to give you a written reply to the pre planning meeting.

Check the County Development Plan (which should be available online) for sight line requirements. Your agent should know this in any event.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

Hi,
    i have recently submitted a planning application and was wonder if, we would be able to build a porch at the front door, or would that require a new application. it is onlt 1.5m sq.
    can we do it and apply for it as we are building??
    thanks for any info.
    Robert

rodred wrote: »
    Hi,
    i have recently submitted a planning application and was wonder if, we would be able to build a porch at the front door, or would that require a new application. it is onlt 1.5m sq.
    can we do it and apply for it as we are building??
    thanks for any info.
    Robert
    If your application is currently being processed Id suggest you get a revised plan into them ASAP showing the porch and indicating that you now wish to include that as part of your proposal. If its done before they make a decision then, providing everything else is OK, they would grant permission based on revised plans submitted on xxxxxxx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭rodred

thanks muffler,

the situation is that i have to keep a 2.5m set back from the boundry
    if i put the porch in it will bring this done to 2m. it has taken me so long to get this point in the application process, i would not like to mess anything up. would it be a situation that if they did not like the idea of the porch they would just condition that it is not allowed???

thanks for any info.
    rob

rodred wrote: »
    would it be a situation that if they did not like the idea of the porch they would just condition that it is not allowed???
    That is what should happen. However to cover yourself you could indicate in your covering letter with the revised plan that you would prefer to have the porch but if they consider it unsuitable or if it doesn't comply with the requirements of their development plan then perhaps they could condition it accordingly. Words to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Just had an estate agent around to value our house for sale - our neighbour directly behind us has half-built/finished a very large (1.5 story) office in his garden and estate agent reckons this makes our property unsaleable.

Now as soon as he started building we got onto planning dept. They advised he hadn't looked for permission and they went out to him and advised him to apply for retention. He was given approx 2 months and never did. Yesterday they served him with an enforcement notice saying he had to remove the structure within 8 weeks as he had contravened the planning laws.

I'm wondering if anyone was ever in this situation and actually saw the building taken down? We are guessing that he might be able to appeal and appeal and will end up getting the permission in the end without having to demolish at all? Does anyone know if thats the case or where he stands now after getting the enforcement notice?

sillysocks wrote: »
    Just had an estate agent around to value our house for sale - our neighbour directly behind us has half-built/finished a very large (1.5 story) office in his garden and estate agent reckons this makes our property unsaleable.

Now as soon as he started building we got onto planning dept. They advised he hadn't looked for permission and they went out to him and advised him to apply for retention. He was given approx 2 months and never did. Yesterday they served him with an enforcement notice saying he had to remove the structure within 8 weeks as he had contravened the planning laws.

I'm wondering if anyone was ever in this situation and actually saw the building taken down? We are guessing that he might be able to appeal and appeal and will end up getting the permission in the end without having to demolish at all? Does anyone know if thats the case or where he stands now after getting the enforcement notice?
    As the development is now the subject of enforcement proceedings we cant comment further.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 wpi

Has anybody ever got planning by default,or know someone that has.
    I think I am entitled to a default permission because the planners did not ask for further information untill after the 8th week period. I got an extension of time and thats when they asked for the FI.

• Advertisement

wpi wrote: »
    I got an extension of time and thats when they asked for the FI.
    You answered your own question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

Hi, any advice on the following would be appreciated. Basically I live in an end-of-terrace house with no chimney. I would like to install a small solid fuel burning stove with an external flue to the back of the house. Do I need planning permission for the external flue? Is it more than likely that I will receive the permission?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jimmyskank wrote: »
    Hi, any advice on the following would be appreciated. Basically I live in an end-of-terrace house with no chimney. I would like to install a small solid fuel burning stove with an external flue to the back of the house. Do I need planning permission for the external flue? Is it more than likely that I will receive the permission?

chimneys are exempt from planning permission under class 2...

"The provision, as part of a central heating
    system of a house, of a chimney, boiler
    house or oil storage tank."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭jimmyskank

sydthebeat wrote: »
    chimneys are exempt from planning permission under class 2...

"The provision, as part of a central heating
    system of a house, of a chimney, boiler
    house or oil storage tank."

Thats great thanks, word of mouth 'in the pub' was that planning needed to be shown to allow neighbours to object to an external flue. The pub is the fountain of wisdom......not!

jimmyskank wrote: »
    The pub is the fountain of wisdom......not!
    The fountain part is right :D

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Hi - what are the regs for windows overlooking adjoining properties? Our house was built in the early 1980s but due to an irreguarlity the previous owners had to apply for retention just before we bought it from them (in 2005). We think, from some of the sticky stuff left on the windows, that they were supposed to have smoked/opaque glass or something on windows overlooking the next house down but it was removed (after being inspected) before we moved in.
    Subsequently, the site in between has been built up with a new house (in the last year or two) which our kitchen and upstair landing window overlook (both are clear glass). We were going to change those windows to double glazing - is there any chance we will be told to change the windows back to a smoked/opaque glass by the council? Or has too long elapsed?

weebelly wrote: »
    Hi - what are the regs for windows overlooking adjoining properties? Our house was built in the early 1980s but due to an irreguarlity the previous owners had to apply for retention just before we bought it from them (in 2005). We think, from some of the sticky stuff left on the windows, that they were supposed to have smoked/opaque glass or something on windows overlooking the next house down but it was removed (after being inspected) before we moved in.
    Subsequently, the site in between has been built up with a new house (in the last year or two) which our kitchen and upstair landing window overlook (both are clear glass). We were going to change those windows to double glazing - is there any chance we will be told to change the windows back to a smoked/opaque glass by the council? Or has too long elapsed?
    You will need to go into the planning office and inspect the file in relation to the retention of the windows by the previous owner. If it was a condition of the permission that some form of obscure glass was to be fitted then that will remain so for all time - unless of course you make a new application to have the condition overturned.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭weebelly

Cheers Muffler - planning permission had no conditions related to the glass (only one standard condition relating to clarification of the permission as it was retention rather than new build).

weebelly wrote: »
    Cheers Muffler - planning permission had no conditions related to the glass (only one standard condition relating to clarification of the permission as it was retention rather than new build).
    Have you checked what type of glass was shown on the plans submitted with the application at the time? Planning permission is always granted "in accordance with the plans submitted"

If it was standard non opaque (clear) glass then I would see no reason why you couldn't upgrade your windows to double glazing. In any event its always advisable to pop into your local planning office in advance just to have this checked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭HobNob

Just wondering if anyone can advise me on how I can get permission for a front wall. I've received planning for a house in a country location but there are other houses on the road.

One of the conditions of the planning is that I retain the existing front
    hedgerow and just have an opening for a gate back 4.5 meters from the centre of the rd etc.

I've been told that if i can come up a good enough excuse i can get the council to allow me remove the ditch and build a wall. In fairness all other houses on this road either have a wall or a timber fence.

I would much prefer a wall (to keep kids and a dog in).

any ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Retro-Fit

HobNob wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can advise me on how I can get permission for a front wall. I've received planning for a house in a country location but there are other houses on the road.

hedgerow and just have an opening for a gate back 4.5 meters from the centre of the rd etc.

I've been told that if i can come up a good enough excuse i can get the council to allow me remove the ditch and build a wall. In fairness all other houses on this road either have a wall or a timber fence.

any ideas

Hedgerows are very important for biodiversity and Amenity. Suburban housing on rural roads is unsightly but more importantly it results in species loss. If you put all the country's hedges together you would have more tree cover than all the irish forests combined. Hedges are very easy to move, you can take up a hedge with a JCB bucket without killing it. We like to live in the country becaus of its arcadian qualities, but then destroy the lanes and views with concrete. Some good design and a bit of foresight can mitigate this. You can keep the hedge and fence it to the inside. You have been lucky that society allowed you to build in our amenity areas, on our groundwater recharge areas, you have a responsibility back to society, to keep some bit of your site natural and to screen your house. Keep your hedge and plant some native shrubs and trees. Build a low wall of campatible style with the vernacular outside the hedge. You'll be glad you did and will produce a nicer environment for all when your house is built.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

any ideas

hobnob... with all respect.. are you serious???

if you want a wall to 'keep in the kids and dog', just build it behind your hedgerow...

just because the council made the mistake of letting the other houses in the area take out a hedge and build a wall / fence, doesnt mean they will repeat this mistake again. You will find its council policy to retain hedges where possible. its usually ok to remove a small portion if sightlines need to be achieved, but if the council have granted permission as is, then they deem the sightlines to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

any ideas

If you feel that strongly about taking away the hedging, appeal the condition/decision to An Bord Pleanala. But if the land is not zoned for housing development there is a very high probability the PA's decision will be overturned and the planning refused.

I think your answer is given in the above posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Hi there,

I am looking to erect a telegraph pole on my land in Co. Wicklow. It will be approximately 15m high and have a microwave receiver (similar to a sky dish) at the top.

The pole will be visible from the road, but behind a fence and recessed/surrounded by trees of a similar height.

Do I need planning permission for such a pole?

Thanks

Yes, planning permission is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

Yes, planning permission is needed.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Hi,

I'd appreciate a few inputs to our Further Information request from the council.
    As we're renovating/extending a protected structure(which could be disputed but won't go there so assume it is) the council have made an FI with the following..not totally unreasonable i suppose.
    1) You are requested to submit an Architectural heritage impact statement or Conservation Method Statement. This should be carried out in according tot the guidelines set out in Appendix B of the Architectural Heritage Protection Guidelines published by the Dept of Environment, Heritage and Local Government.

They also want us to address some other issues in addition to the standard information in these reports but as it's mainly to do with evening out window spacings and listing building materials i won't go into those details. I'd take this as promising in regard to the house plan.

The issue is at the end of point 1 in bold it says
    The Architectural heritage impact statement and Conservation Method Statement should be prepared by a conservation professional.

Do they want one or both?
    Would anyone recommend one over the other?
    Cost and time being our enemies atm.
    Is there an approved list of conservationists or can i find any qualified one?

Point 2 is just that we move the garage elsewhere. Well "should consider" in planning speak probably translates as "do it". So be it. Unfortunately as our boiler is here this will increase our cost significantly for laying insulated pipes, doubling the distance to 20 meters or so for the only real alternative placing.

Point 3 is requesting a Photomontage to show the impact of any proposed new design on the setting of the protected structure and on the setting of the protected structure on opposite side of road And on the approach to these structures.

How would i go about doing this and who would do it???
    We've made an appointment to meet planners to clarify /discuss things but they only meet the public fortnightly, so a fortnight it is.
    In the meantime we'd really like to started on points 1 and 3.
    So any advice would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

C.

The LA want either Architectural Heritage Impact Statement or a Conservation method Statement and whichever one you decide to do should be carried out by a conservational professional. It is just worded poorly by the planner involved.

I would say the Conservation Method Statement would be easier to carry out but it depends on the works you propose to carry out.

The photomontage is basically longitudinal and latitudinal streetscape using photography or Rivet or suchlike incorporating the proposals you intend to carry out so their impact can be visually assesed quite easily. Your Architect or AT will attend to this for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Cuauhtemoc

Thanks for the quick reply,

Ok thanks, that clarifies the conservation bit. Just need to find the conservationist now.
    The works involve renovating and extending an old gatelodge. Needs a lot of work including demolishing a terrible, big flat roof extension out the back.
    It has a twin lodge across the road and when finished will more or less mirror this.

It's an AT doing the plans and he doesn't know anyone who'd do the montage, not something he'd do himself.
    He has a very good record with planning though.

Will have to see whether an architect would do just the montage.
    Is rivet software for doing this or something? Might be i could try it, but i think best left to someone with expertise.

Thanks again.

C.

• Advertisement

Cuauhtemoc wrote: »
    Is rivet software for doing this or something? Might be i could try it, but i think best left to someone with expertise.

Yeah, Rivit would help with the montage, I've used it on one and for a shadow study on the same job, worked out a treat. You need CAD knowledge to use it though.

Good Luck.

Advertisement