Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

kelvineng wrote: »
    i recently got retention planning permission for a wall ,they are now after granting permission now stipulating we complete the cladding of the wall within 6 months. Is the retention not valid for 5 years

The LA would probably like to see the wall completed quickly. You can appeal this condition within the appropriate timeframe to Án Bord Planeála if you wish, but you run the risk of the Bord overturning the council's decision and refusing the application in full. The LA are well aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MunsterFan09

Hello all, To my knowledge a ribbon development when it comes to one off houses in the countryside is defined as '5 or more houses on any one side of a given 250 meters of road frontage'

My question is how far away from a group of five houses do i have to build in order not to be considered part of the ribbon development?

This isn't the case in all LA's. North Tipp has it written in the CDP as you describe it and I know a few of the other LA's are considering similar but it's always best to check with the individual planning departments what policy they are following in this regard.

In your case, not to be considered part of the ribbon development you must be at least 250m from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MunsterFan09

Thanks Tom, its co.Limerick in my case. So I assume its 250mtrs from the boundary of the closest house, this could work. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 NickyNin

I hope this is the right place to post this...

My house is on the corner (Road A & B)and I have a metal fence on both sides. My (pedestrian) gate is opposite my hall door and on road A but I'd like to change it to Road B.

If it makes any difference - my address is actually road B so I've never known why the gate is on Road A

Thanks for any advice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

NickyNin wrote: »
    I hope this is the right place to post this...

My house is on the corner (Road A & B)and I have a metal fence on both sides. My (pedestrian) gate is opposite my hall door and on road A but I'd like to change it to Road B.

If it makes any difference - my address is actually road B so I've never known why the gate is on Road A

Thanks for any advice
    Technically you do need permission to open a new pedestrian access.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

Hello

Hope someone can help me here. The neighbour behind me has started work on an extension but its very high and is now blocking what little natural light i was getting.
    I checked the plans in the planning office and firstly, the wall is higher than they applied for. Also, they make no mention that the adjoining wall is 5 foot. the neighbour next to me built an extension and they only reference that in the plans.
    Do i have grounds for some recourse as what the neighbour submitted is not what is happenening?
    thanks in advance
    P

PauloConn wrote: »
    Hello

Hope someone can help me here. The neighbour behind me has started work on an extension but its very high and is now blocking what little natural light i was getting.
    I checked the plans in the planning office and firstly, the wall is higher than they applied for. Also, they make no mention that the adjoining wall is 5 foot. the neighbour next to me built an extension and they only reference that in the plans.
    Do i have grounds for some recourse as what the neighbour submitted is not what is happenening?
    thanks in advance
    P
    If you consider it to be materially different from what was approved then you go to your local planning department and you report the matter. There is a standard "unauthorised development" report form to be completed and you may well have to include maps/sketches for detailing of the complaint but the planning staff will assist you in this regard.

If its possible Id suggest you talk to the other party first to see if you can both come to some agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Does anyone know how i would get around a planning issue we have , we have being trying for planning for 6 years in our area Family have owned the farmed the land for 40+ years in the area and i have lived there all my life.

Problem first off was sightlines we have them sorted now but they keep refusing us on Area of Natural Beauty is there anyway around this .
    If not we'd need to try buy a house and that would be at least 20-30 miles out side are area and hard to keep farming that.

Your Local Authority have cryteria for building a house in a rural area, in most cases it is written into the county development plan. You need to organise a pre-planning meeting between yourself, your agent, and the planner (local councillor may also be of benefit). This is where your housing need will be established, after this locating a site on the overall landholding is the next hurdle and finally the house should be designed for that particular site with your needs in mind.

The following is taken from the forum charter:
    Any thread/post that is looking for ways to get around the planning process, or building regulations, or any other statutory legislation, or advising somebody to ignore these legislations and regulations, will be deleted and and the poster will be banned indefinitely.
    so I would not advise anyone to ask about or advise about "getting around" any part of the planning process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

Your Local Authority have cryteria for building a house in a rural area, in most cases it is written into the county development plan. You need to organise a pre-planning meeting between yourself, your agent, and the planner (local councillor may also be of benefit). This is where your housing need will be established, after this locating a site on the overall landholding is the next hurdle and finally the house should be designed for that particular site with your needs in mind.

The following is taken from the forum charter:
    Any thread/post that is looking for ways to get around the planning process, or building regulations, or any other statutory legislation, or advising somebody to ignore these legislations and regulations, will be deleted and and the poster will be banned indefinitely.
    so I would not advise anyone to ask about or advise about "getting around" any part of the planning process.

Sorry i worded it wrong by getting around i meant to actually get passed this issue , Again we have spent 6 years trying and have being through all you have said bar meeting the planer which they will not do we have asked.

Get your councillor to sort out a meeting, they should be able to do this.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,594 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

jeawan wrote: »
    ....... bar meeting the planer which they will not do we have asked.

planners will not discuss previously refused applications unless a significant change is proposed.

if the site is in an area of natural conservation then planning become a lot more difficult.
    the house plan should be designed to integrate into the site as much as is possible. Large bulky obtrusive houses will not be granted permission. landscaping is also key.

the new house should not detract in any way from the scene it occupies. It some context it should enhance it. Standard ubiquitous dwellings are not suitable for these locations.

want to pm me the planning reference number and county it is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Hi, just looking for some advice - my boyfriend and I want to buy a mobile home and put it in a small field across the road from my mothers house. My uncle who owns the field has given his permission. We want to do this because we are sick of renting - and we need to save money. I know we need planning, but the thing is - we would not be hooking up to water, electricity or sewerage as we would be using my mothers kitchen and bathroom, we would really only be using the mobile for sleeping in, and so we can have our own space. I don't know anything about the ins and outs of applying for permission, but after looking at the form there seems to be a lot of steps that surely wouldn't apply to a mobile just sitting there, like getting the drainage hole test things dug and ground surveys and all that stuff. As it won't be attached to a water or sewerage system, will those things still apply? Would we have to get soil types and bedrock and groundwater tests?And if so, why, when the mobile is going to have so little impact? How much would it cost to have all these tests done? Also, what is the difference between planning and outline planning, and which would be best for us to apply for?

So you would be looking to use the mobile as an extension of your Mother's house, using her kitchen, bathroom and providing your own living and bedroom space.

So what will your planning application be for? The temporary use of a mobile home on its own site or the temporary use of a mobile home as an extension to a dwelling house?

I'm afraid any planning authority I know will not allow a mix and match, and any application for use of a mobile home will be for temporary use only, say, two, three or five years.

Applying for outline planning permission will let you know if the LA are in favour of your development as opposed to full planning which allows you to develop a site or not as the case may be. Outline planning permission is then followed by an application for permission subsequent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Hi, thanks for replying so fast, another question - what if then, we were living in the mobile full time, but if it was completely off the grid - using rainwater, no electricity and a compost toilet? Are there any rules and regulations about that? We can't put it right next to my mothers house as there is no room as she's planning veg gardens and a polytunnel, so I guess it would be on its own site. Thanks

rosiejosie wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for replying so fast, another question - what if then, we were living in the mobile full time, but if it was completely off the grid - using rainwater, no electricity and a compost toilet? Are there any rules and regulations about that? We can't put it right next to my mothers house as there is no room as she's planning veg gardens and a polytunnel, so I guess it would be on its own site. Thanks
    Please read the Forum Charter before posting again.

We dont allow discussion on ways to circumvent planning regs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I am considering building a bay window onto my front sitting-room....there are no others in the estate but a few people have built extensions i.e porch or porch/room extensions...Is planning permission required or can i build up to a certain size without it...??

I am considering building a bay window onto my front sitting-room....there are no others in the estate but a few people have built extensions i.e porch or porch/room extensions...Is planning permission required or can i build up to a certain size without it...??
    Permission is definitely required for a bay window.

A porch up to 2 sq. metres in size (subject to a couple of conditions) would be exempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

muffler wrote: »
    Permission is definitely required for a bay window.

A porch up to 2 sq. metres in size (subject to a couple of conditions) would be exempt.

Tanx.....:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Just got good news the other day

An Bord Pleanla granted permision with conditions. Prior to the appeal the local authority had granted permission with different conditions before a third party appeal

Question is
    • Do i follow An Bord Pleanala's conditions
    • Or is a combo of the local council and and an bord pleanala's

An Bord Pleanla granted permision with conditions. Prior to the appeal the local authority had granted permission with different conditions before a third party appeal

Question is
    Good news indeed. Congrats.

Follow and adhere to the revised conditions and pay particular attention to any condition that refers back to the PA's conditions on their decision to grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭littlecbear

I have a question about compliance with planning conditions.

On my pp drawing the roof type is drawn (and labelled) as being slate. One of the conditions states thats the roof must be finished in either:
    A) blue/black slate or
    B) a blue/black or grey roof finish

Can anyone tell me whether we are tied to using slate as per submitted drawing or can we go by the planning permission conditions option B and use any roof finish once it is of one of the agreed colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭onq

Question is
    Follow ABP
    Planning is superseded
    Do not combine them.

ONQ.

I have a question about compliance with planning conditions.

On my pp drawing the roof type is drawn (and labelled) as being slate. One of the conditions states thats the roof must be finished in either:
    A) blue/black slate or
    B) a blue/black or grey roof finish

Can anyone tell me whether we are tied to using slate as per submitted drawing or can we go by the planning permission conditions option B and use any roof finish once it is of one of the agreed colours.

Talk to the planner.
    Discuss your preferred option.
    Submit a sample.

ONQ.

PauloConn wrote: »
    Hello

thanks in advance
    P

You must refer them.
    Contact Planning Enforcement.
    Make it specific.

ONQ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭yungwan

Hey, apologies if I am repeating on previous topics but I have a question!

I am based In Co. Roscommon and my boyfriend and I are in very early stages of thinking of building.

We would like to build on my boyfriends land (well its his in everything but name its legally his fathers but he would be agreeable to it) and would preferably like to build on the site where his grandparents house is (they are deceased and its derelict and has been for many years)

This would obviously involve demolishing the current structure and building from new.

We have heard that becauseof this we wouldnt need to apply for planning permission because there is already an existing structure? Is this BS? It doesnt sound very likely? Also is it a bad idea to demolish this house from a cost point of view? would it be a loy less costly to build on new ground? It is a great site!!

Also does anyone have any advice on what the first stages are for us to start the ball rolling on this? We havent done anything on it yet. Do we consult a solicitor first to start planning applications or do we need plans first or apply for mortgage??!? Is it worth applying for planning even tough we might not start building for a few years? So confused!! Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Yeah, that is complete BS.:D You will need planning permission.

Don't speak to a solicitior, speak to a local Architectural Technician and they will be able to advise you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Yungwan as smashey says you will need planning permission, I thinnk in these difficult times the first thing you should do is see will you be approved for a mortgage and if so for how much. Assuming you boyfriend father will gift you the site you will have land which will be valued and so improve your loan to value percentage. When you know you can get money and know how much then start talking to a local professional who has a good track record with the local planners.

• Advertisement

It is also worth noting that if the existing house is in any way habitable you will need a seperate planning permission to demolish it.

Advertisement