Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

thanks everyone , ill go get myself a cert so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Hey

Can I get planning permission on a site where there used to be a house 60 years ago on my land

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭mal_1

investment wrote: »
    Hey

Can I get planning permission on a site where there used to be a house 60 years ago on my land

The simple answer would be yes; however the fact that a house existed on the site 60 years ago (presume by your description it has been demolished or derelict ) will have little or no bearing on the outcome.
    All the other criteria; such as the particular council and its development plan, local needs, site access, site suitability (percolation test), etc will all predicate the decision of any council.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Hey

Just further to Mal above, arrange a Pre-Planning with the LA and they can/should direct you as to the best outcome.

If your type of desired house is different, maybe an Outline Permission application, detailing the proposed house you want, cheaper option than full permission and if all goes to plan, apply for full permission?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Hey

Check the County Development Plan for the area in relation to the Local Authorities policies in relation to Brownfield sites. They are generally easier to get planning permission on than greenfield sites, but as stated, all other criteria still apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭investment

Thanks for the responses

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

Hi,
    Am i right in thinking i can build a gavity wall at the end of my front garden 1.2m in height without planning permisson?
    I have a wall on either side of my house that acts as the boundry from the neighbours house, one wall is one metre in height the other wall is 2 feet high.I would want to build the wall at the front of my garden one metre high to match the one thats already there, it would be 14 feet in lenght, leaving enough space to fit a gate for the car to come in and out,I would also like to build up the 2 foot wall but i would have to talk to the neighbour about that,All in all can i build my wall 1 metre high and fit a gate for the car without permisson? Thanks for any advice!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

phat1 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Am i right in thinking i can build a gavity wall at the end of my front garden 1.2m in height without planning permisson?
    I have a wall on either side of my house that acts as the boundry from the neighbours house, one wall is one metre in height the other wall is 2 feet high.I would want to build the wall at the front of my garden one metre high to match the one thats already there, it would be 14 feet in lenght, leaving enough space to fit a gate for the car to come in and out,I would also like to build up the 2 foot wall but i would have to talk to the neighbour about that,All in all can i build my wall 1 metre high and fit a gate for the car without permisson? Thanks for any advice!

a 1.2 m high wall can be built without planning permission once:
    1. The height of any such structure shall not exceed 2 metres or, in the case of a wall or fence within or bounding any garden or other space in front of a house, 1.2 metres.
    2. Every wall other than a dry or natural stone wall bounding any garden or other space shall be capped and the face of any wall of concrete or concrete block (other than blocks with decorative finish) which will be visible from any road, path or public area, including public open space, shall be rendered or plastered.
    3. No such structure shall be a metal palisade or other security fence.

also note that if this is in a fairly newish estate, sometimes planners included conditions of planning to ensure all frontages remained 'open plan'. If such a condition exists then what you are planning would not be exempt.

however, if all the houses have the walled gardens as you have described, then its highly unlikely that any condition exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭phat1

thanks for the info,i rang the planning office and they seemed to think that i could build away....

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monkeybusiness

Hi, I'm just wondering if anybody know if it's possible to apply for outline planning on site that I don't own?
    A neighbour has offered to 'gift' me a strip of land next to their house,I don't know if planning will be granted on the site and don't want to take legal ownership of the land if it will be unsuitable.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Monkeybusiness

Yes you can make an application on land you don't own.
    The application must be supported by the freehold owner of the site, via a letter of consent.
    Also note: in the planning application maps/plans all other lands in the vicinity of the site owned by interested parties (that would be yourself or your family and the landowner) have to be identified and outlined in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 monkeybusiness

Thanks for that Mal_1
    happy to know i can try for outline planning now, wish me luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Can anyone tell me if I must use an Architect to submit a planning application or can any competent person prepare and submit the drawings regardless of their qualification?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

loremolis wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if I must use an Architect to submit a planning application or can any competent person prepare and submit the drawings regardless of their qualification?

Anyone:eek: can submit and prepare an application as a whole for you but there are usually items that are required to be prepared by qualified personell, depending on type of permission sought, eg. site characterisation reports etc..

I would advise that you get someone who is competent in the planning process to prepare and submit it as there are a lot of items required to satisfy the LA. Billy down the Pub does'nt know EVERYTHING, believe it or not:D

Also, if for example a house, it must comply with all relevant Building Regs. This information should be incorporated at design stage. If not done correctly initially, it could end up costing more than originally hiring an Arch Tech/Arch

No there is no necessity to use an architect to lodge an application, however the operative word in the your query is 'competent'. Architects ; planning consultants and industry professionals are lodging application 'everyday' and do so with due diligence. I'm sure others on the site will confirm that the letter confirming validation is eagerly awaited for every application, as even us professionals can get something wrong or miss something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

OP anyone can submitt a planning application. Mal-1 & rayjdav are correct.

Naturally anyone can also make a tax return or represent themselves in Court. Thats the great thing about living in a demorcacy. Sometimes it is worth retaining a Profession to represent you fully and safeguard you from making a simple mistake that could cost you more in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

As this thread is now 108 pages long could I just remind everyone to quote the post you are replying to.

rayjdav, mal_1 & RKQ,

Thank you.

I fully agree that a qualified person should be sought for particular jobs such as the site characterisation, traffic reports, etc.

But I can't understand why the planning authority would insist/demand that a fully qualified Architect must be engaged to prepare the drawings for a fairly simple planning application.

There are many compenent people with other qualifications who are able to undertake this work.

Can they insist on an Architect?
    Surely the applicant is free to make that choice?

But I can't understand why the planning authority would insist/demand that a fully qualified Architect must be engaged to prepare the drawings for a fairly simple planning application.

There are many compenent people with other qualifications who are able to undertake this work.

Can they insist on an Architect?
    Surely the applicant is free to make that choice?
    Im sure there's some sort of a misunderstanding here. Where have you seen this?

muffler wrote: »
    Im sure there's some sort of a misunderstanding here. Where have you seen this?

I haven't just seen it, I've been told so in writing.

• Advertisement

You have been told this by a Planning Authority? Can I ask which one and is there any chance of you scanning and posting the letter here - obviously with name and contact details removed.

This is a first for me.

Sounds strange, are they insisting or advising. Would love to hear the history.
    Is the site or building protected/listed whereby you are required to have a conservation architect.

mal_1 wrote: »
    Sounds strange, are they insisting or advising. Would love to hear the history.
    Is the site or building protected/listed whereby you are required to have a conservation architect.

The site isn't in an SAC or subject to any unusual or special circumstances. There is a small shed on the site but it isn't mentioned, listed or preserved in the Development Plan.

There is no planning history, I'm proposing the first application on this site.

The site isn't in an SAC or subject to any unusual or special circumstances. There is a small shed on the site but it isn't mentioned, listed or preserved in the Development Plan.

There is no planning history, I'm proposing the first application on this site.

There are a number of Professional Bodies that might want to investigate this issue. They will want to protect their members interests. A copy of your letter from the L.A would be very important.

I suppose it was only a matter of time.... IMO this was on the cards for a few years.

There are a number of Professional Bodies that might want to investigate this issue. They will want to protect their members interests. A copy of your letter from the L.A would be very important.

I suppose it was only a matter of time.... IMO this was on the cards for a few years.
    There must be some misunderstanding, a LA can't take it on themselves to dictate who should design a structure, if there is no directive in the CDP.

There must be some misunderstanding, a LA can't take it on themselves to dictate who should design a structure, if there is no directive in the CDP.

I too hope it is a misunderstanding. However loremolis states "I haven't just seen it, I've been told so in writing".

One Agent might have a problem expressing the uncompetitive nature of such a written instruction to the L.A. Or stating that the L.A can't dictate who should design a structure. Whereas a national or international professional body may have more clout.

IMO its terrible if true, to see such a blatant, uncompetitive and unnecessary development in the planning process.

RKQ wrote: »
    IMO its terrible if true, to see such a blatant, uncompetitive and unnecessary development in the planning process.
    Lets reserve judgement until we get this sorted first.
    muffler wrote: »
    Can I ask which one and is there any chance of you scanning and posting the letter here - obviously with name and contact details removed.

Poor Uncle Tom,

I'm a bit nervous about posting the specific details of this here.
    After all I still have to make the application.

I've sent you a PM with the info regarding the correspondence etc.

PM received (thank you).

For the purpose of the thread the planning officer has asked for a registered architect to make the planning application in writing on a pre-planning document.

In my opinion if you take this far enough it should cost the planner their job, and rightly so.

• Advertisement

Im also aware of the situation and its best kept off this thread for now. Perhaps loremolis might update us at a later stage when things have been sorted out.

Advertisement