Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

jay gatsby wrote: »
    doing up my Da's house, 2 story stone. basically there was an extension added 30 years ago. i can make the original building work on its own and was thinking of converting the extension into a Granny flat type job for him. Connected to main house but with its own door/bathroom etc. (these have to be added now)

Does anyone know if the best route is to keep the whole unit as one house or whether to redraw the extension as seperate dwelling?

I am thinking of right of residence clauses in the future and so on.

Hope this makes sense

I would recommend you seek professional advice from an architect, who can also help with specification of the upgrading works.

I may be reading this incorrectly, but what your saving is you wish to make - alterations to the existing dwelling house (the extension part) for a proposed granny flat with own door entrance.

there are a couple of things here:
    • technically planning is required for a granny flat but this may still not provide you with a future saleable/ rent-able flat.(council conditions)
    • regarding the residences clause maybe it would be best if you asked this here, or can you elaborate.
    • councils are now insisting that granny flats are ground floor only
    • as you are not looking to alter the external appearance of the house (with the exception of a door, which could be provide to the rear) the question should be asked: could you just call this a guest room, en-suite & lounge with an own door keeping a connection to the existing house or must you opt for the granny flat for legal reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Hi

I recieved outline planning a few months ago . i had just site and entrance etc no house plans. I now have full planning in nothing has changed on the file except now I have house designs in. Even though I recieved outline are there any circumstances that I may be refused full. Without going in to too much detail there were issues raised in outline but was respondeded to as further information. Now the same issues have appeared when looking for full even though I was granted outline. I know very little about planning but I thought once you had outline that the design of the house was all that had to be verified in full.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Outline permission is basically the Planning Authority giving you permission in principle to build some type of house but will be subject to conditions. Its never safe to assume that the house design will be the only issue.

First of all have a read through the conditions on the outline PP and make sure they have been addressed. The PA are entitled to request details to show compliance with those conditions and are further entitled to seek whatever information they see fit.

Its far from an ideal system but its the only one we have.

I'll move this to the planning thread on the C & P forum.

Its not the PA that have an issue with it. The conditions on the OP are all in order.nothing has changed on the file but for the house plans,

• Advertisement

gerryirl wrote: »
    Its not the PA that have an issue with it. The conditions on the OP are all in order.nothing has changed on the file but for the house plans,
    Unfortunately you havent stated what you were alluding to when you said
    there were issues raised in outline..........Now the same issues have appeared when looking for full
    If you can elaborate we may be able to offer an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

I am aware that carrying out a material change of use to a building will require both planning and a fire safety certificate.

i was looking at a building that was originally an old victorian house that was converted to office use, i would like to convert the building back to a house with a basement flat. The house is situated in Dublin with no off street parking. I know i should seek profesional advice but would anybody forsee problems with the planing rather than the fire certifcate. Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nui0304

Hi all

Has any one got an idea how to go about completing and submitting the commencement notice for a new build to mayo co co. I have planning permission granted for a couple of weeks now and want to give official commencement notice to the council at this stage. I understand you must go to the fire brigade as well in Castlebar but not sure why!!

Any help would be great

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

I am aware that carrying out a material change of use to a building will require both planning and a fire safety certificate.

i was looking at a building that was originally an old victorian house that was converted to office use, i would like to convert the building back to a house with a basement flat. The house is situated in Dublin with no off street parking. I know i should seek profesional advice but would anybody forsee problems with the planing rather than the fire certifcate. Thanks for the help
    It doesn't sound as though you should have any trouble with planning as the parking from a house and apartment should be less than for offices. The fire safety certificate should be manageable. The DAC could be another matter, for that you would need to have the property inspected to gauge the possibility of compliance.

There is also the reversing of the ratable valuation. You don't want to be paying rates on a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

nui0304 wrote: »
    Hi all

Has any one got an idea how to go about completing and submitting the commencement notice for a new build to mayo co co. I have planning permission granted for a couple of weeks now and want to give official commencement notice to the council at this stage. I understand you must go to the fire brigade as well in Castlebar but not sure why!!

Any help would be great

Thanks

Under the Building Control Act 1990, it is an offence to start works without completing and submitting a commencement notice. A blank commencement Notice usually accompanies the final grant of planning permission, in any event a blank one should be downloadable from the County Fire Services web site.

This has to be completed and returned to the Building Control Officer between 14 and 28 days ahead of your start date with €30 per habitable unit (house).

The Building Control Officer usually has their office at the Fire Station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 nui0304

nui0304 wrote: »
    Hi all

Any help would be great

Thanks

Under the Building Control Act 1990, it is an offence to start works without completing and submitting a commencement notice. A blank commencement Notice usually accompanies the final grant of planning permission, in any event a blank one should be downloadable from the County Fire Services web site.

This has to be completed and returned to the Building Control Officer between 14 and 28 days ahead of your start date with €30 per habitable unit (house).

The Building Control Officer usually has their office at the Fire Station.

Thanks!!

muffler wrote: »
    Unfortunately you havent stated what you were alluding to when you said If you can elaborate we may be able to offer an opinion.

Sorry I know, as case is still live and this is public forum can't go into too much detail.

I thought that once you recieved outline all was agreed on apart from the house design. If not you'd wonder what is the pont of going for outline in the first case.

Sorry I know, as case is still live and this is public forum can't go into too much detail.
    I wont press you on the matter other than to say that anything and everything on your planning file is available to the public, not only to view but to purchase copies of all documents.

I can only reiterate what I said above. Outline permission is issued subject to conditions. If you can demonstrate that you can comply with those conditions then you right in saying that the house design should be the only issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭rayjdav

I thought that once you recieved outline all was agreed on apart from the house design. If not you'd wonder what is the pont of going for outline in the first case.

Gerryirl,
    It may be a public forum but unless you state specific county/file no info, the chances of anyone connecting this discussion to your file is very slim, if at all tbh.

As you and Muffler have stated, in general the grant of OP is an indication of full PP save for technical info, eg. if you had applied for septic tank it may be stipulated that now, under say perhaps a new CDP you are required to submit info under the new EPA 2010 SOP and not the old [url]SR6:1991[/url] criteria...

If you shed a little more light on the subject and the problem issues as you see them, you WILL get more accurate and valuable information that will assist you. Just my 2 cents;)

I wont press you on the matter other than to say that anything and everything on your planning file is available to the public, not only to view but to purchase copies of all documents.

I can only reiterate what I said above. Outline permission is issued subject to conditions. If you can demonstrate that you can comply with those conditions then you right in saying that the house design should be the only issue.

Thanks muffler for that.. its kinda what I wanted to hear in a way.. I can and have demonstrated that I can comply with the conditions so guess its a waiting game now to see if its appealed to bord Pleanala..

@rayjay.. thanks . I know its very hard to answer a question when you don't know the facts lol, but as I said case is still live so don't want to say too much as I have seen first hand what posting stuff on public forum can do. I hope you can understand

• Registered Users Posts: 25 DonegalMick

It doesn't sound as though you should have any trouble with planning as the parking from a house and apartment should be less than for offices. The fire safety certificate should be manageable. The DAC could be another matter, for that you would need to have the property inspected to gauge the possibility of compliance.

There is also the reversing of the ratable valuation. You don't want to be paying rates on a house.

Thanks Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat40433

Hi all - new to here so be patient:D Can anyone explain the "need for housing" query from planners and how to satisify the requirement? Myself & my wife are currently looking to move back to our rural roots on a site on my fathers farmland. However we currently own a home in a nearby city approx 30 miles away (but within the same county) will we have issues getting planning? Any advise on how to deal successfully with this condition would be appreciated.

Pat40433 wrote: »
    Hi all - new to here so be patient:D Can anyone explain the "need for housing" query from planners and how to satisify the requirement? Myself & my wife are currently looking to move back to our rural roots on a site on my fathers farmland. However we currently own a home in a nearby city approx 30 miles away (but within the same county) will we have issues getting planning? Any advise on how to deal successfully with this condition would be appreciated.
    The details are usually in the County Development Plan (CDP) which can be viewed online for most county councils.

What county are you in?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

firstly, what county????????????????????????????????????

the council will require that you have a valid reason to move to a new dwelling, seeing as you already own a house. Its up to you to provide that reason and then its up to the council to accept it or not. whatever reason you have / give, you weill need to back it up with documentary evidence ie moving job, taking care of elderly infirm parents etc.

One of the questions on the application form is "do you currently own your own dwelling".

each county has different degrees of 'rural housing need'. some are extremely strict requiring rigid proof, others are less so.
    also, some counties have areas where population is falling and may be encouraging development in these areas.

my advice would be to speak to a local planning professional and then arrange a pre planning meeting. you will be much more informed at that stage.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    firstly, what county????????????????????????????????????
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056473784

• Advertisement

BryanF wrote: »
    Yes, we are aware of that and have advised the OP to start again.

ok Muffler
    Yes, we are aware of that and have advised the OP to start again.
    in Cork County you are directly asked :under the rural housing need section
    Do you currently own, or have you ever owned any residential properties? YES NO
    If yes, please give relevant address(es) on an attached sheet and indicate periods of ownership.
    http://www.corkcoco.ie/co/web/DOC/1239697912531.doc?did=354219796

this will go against you unless you can add/provide substantial reasons for any proposed residence. as the planners might say 'the rural housing need is strong in this one'...

there is of course another avenue, one that you've already tried to stamp out. but an avenue/approach that's widespread across the country and many of us are guilty of circumventing no matter what our personnel opinions are.. and with Hogan in the driving seat one i fear will thrive for the next term at the very least..

@ rocketman2010. I have removed your post as we dont encourage the flaunting of the planning laws and subsequently we dont allow discussion on same. Please read the forum charter and post back again but without any reference of your intention to break the law. I'll PM your post in full to save you from retyping it.

@ BryanF. I have also removed your post mostly for the same reason. Not that you suggested this but you quoted the preceding post by rocketman2010 and engaged in discussion on this point. The charter is there for everyone to read and post accordingly.

BryanF wrote: »
    ok Muffler

in Cork County you are directly asked
    He could be in Limerick so its best to wait for Pat40433 to confirm his location. He has been asked to do so twice on this thread and once by PM.

He could be in Limerick so its best to wait for Pat40433 to confirm his location. He has been asked to do so twice on this thread and once by PM.

Apologies guys - only just after logging on - thanks for the great info to date - Yes I'm from County Limerick, but currently living in Limerick City. From the opinions expressed to date it may prove difficult to get planning back home. The various planning Depts should not have policies that dont allow people to move back to their home parishes - do they want us culchies to all become city slickers:D - how do they expect rural comunities to survive if they will not allow people, from the areas, to live there next to their families. Frustrating stuff to be honest - people should not have to ask councilors/ministers to "put in words" or get favours in order to secure these basis rights - after all we're not drug dealers - the same county councils dont seem to have any issues moving said drug dealers into rural adresses and the best of houses:mad:.

where were you planning on working Pat? would you be making the commute each day in to the city..

Head office is in Limerick City, but I do some work from home also - would working from home aid my case?? I would imagine a letter from my employer would help enforce this also?

Pat40433 wrote: »
    would working from home aid my case?
    if you had been doing so for the last seven years, it would of helped..

My wage slips have my COUNTY address on them and have been posted home to my COUNTY limerick address for the past 10 years. Will this help?

• Advertisement

yes but maybe you should read this

Advertisement