Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning issues - post them here MOD WARNING post #1

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,596 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Pat40433 wrote: »
    My wage slips have my COUNTY address on them and have been posted home to my COUNTY limerick address for the past 10 years. Will this help?

pat, be very careful not to post anything that can be construed as trying to "get around" some planning requirement.

a letter from your employer would certainly help....

you need to gather as much documentary evidence as possible to ad your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

Pat40433 wrote: »
    Head office is in Limerick City, but I do some work from home also - would working from home aid my case?? I would imagine a letter from my employer would help enforce this also?

I know for my planning application I included a few letter from local community sports clubs/associations (GAA, Soccer, scouts/guides that kind of thing) that I was a member of or that I was going to rejoin once I moved back into the area. Not sure if there is much weight given to this but it does show the connection with the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat40433

I know for my planning application I included a few letter from local community sports clubs/associations (GAA, Soccer, scouts/guides that kind of thing) that I was a member of or that I was going to rejoin once I moved back into the area. Not sure if there is much weight given to this but it does show the connection with the community.

Ya never thought of that - given that I am currently a member of both my home GAA & Soccer clubs and spend 60% of my time at home because of these pass-times/afflictions!! this suggestion is indeed very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Pat40433

sydthebeat wrote: »
    pat, be very careful not to post anything that can be construed as trying to "get around" some planning requirement.

a letter from your employer would certainly help....

you need to gather as much documentary evidence as possible to ad your case.

Point taken - and of course any information given to the planning authority needs to be fact and not fiction. We'll leave the fictional stuff to the politicians :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rocksby

Pat where in Limerick are you looking to build? You should check the settlement stratgy designation for the area in the county development plan and read the definition for local rural person which includes housing need. You might comply with the objective. For housing need you must be building your first dwelling within 10km of your family home or where you have lived for a 10 year period. Owning a house in the city should not be a problem but you need to declare it as the planners will check where you have lived over last few years and will access land registry. If they susect a lie it'll drag out the process. You should also go in for a preplanning meeting and ask such questions.
    Remember you will also need to get over all other normal planning criteria.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭spud65

Have planning but want to change plans for smaller house, got a quote today of 1000e for new plans to be drawn up by the architect of the original plans (cost 2000e) plus i pay extra for all planning fees, paper work,ect To me this sounds a bit steep.Got planning 3yrs ago. Now wondering can i just buy plans online and submit for planning myself as planing office has all the details from first application that they approved

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

spud65 wrote: »
    Have planning but want to change plans for smaller house, got a quote today of 1000e for new plans to be drawn up by the architect of the original plans (cost 2000e) plus i pay extra for all planning fees, paper work,ect To me this sounds a bit steep.Got planning 3yrs ago. Now wondering can i just buy plans online and submit for planning myself as planing office has all the details from first application that they approved
    spud, i see nothing wrong with this fee, also note that a new peculation test and report will probably be required due to new legislation. why not look at get a phpp calculation done, to see how your building might preform before its orientation etc is fixed

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Hi,

We are looking at applying for planning permission for a house in Terenure Dublin 6. We already have the land. We are looking for a planning consultant that has worked with the local planners in this area (D6) before.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated?

Also if there is any planning consultants that fit this build please Let me know.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Purdia

I'm on tenterhooks here! I am expecting a decision from An Bord Pleanala in respect of my appeal against a planning authority's decision to refuse planning permission. How will I know whether my appeal has been successful or not? Do I just check the website on the date the decision is due or will my architect be informed by post? If anyone can help? Please keep your fingers crossed for me :)

why are you not asking this question to the person your paying ie your arch?

• Advertisement

Purdia wrote: »
    I'm on tenterhooks here! I am expecting a decision from An Bord Pleanala in respect of my appeal against a planning authority's decision to refuse planning permission. How will I know whether my appeal has been successful or not? Do I just check the website on the date the decision is due or will my architect be informed by post? If anyone can help? Please keep your fingers crossed for me :)

your agent will b informed if hes the primary point of contact with the bord.

dont be surprised if the bord request an extension of time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Just a quick question,how long should it take for a planning enforcement officer to look at a structure being built without permission?. The reason i ask is because i emailed planning enforcement on 17/10/2011 about something been built.They replied back on 19/10/2011 saying that my notes were forwarded to the planning enforcement officer for the area for investigation. From that i thought something might happen or at least a planning application would have to be lodged.I rang the enforcement dept yesterday to see what the officer had done about my complaints but it seems she has not looked at it yet.Surely almost three months is a long time for an inspection?the job now looks finished,well from the outside anyway.The house in question has done other major works without permission in the past and then allowed to keep them on appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

20/20 wrote: »
    Just a quick question,how long should it take for a planning enforcement officer to look at a structure being built without permission?. The reason i ask is because i emailed planning enforcement on 17/10/2011 about something been built.They replied back on 19/10/2011 saying that my notes were forwarded to the planning enforcement officer for the area for investigation. From that i thought something might happen or at least a planning application would have to be lodged.I rang the enforcement dept yesterday to see what the officer had done about my complaints but it seems she has not looked at it yet.Surely almost three months is a long time for an inspection?the job now looks finished,well from the outside anyway.The house in question has done other major works without permission in the past and then allowed to keep them on appeal.
    There is no defined time frame that I am aware of for inspecting alleged unauthorised developments. However it wouldnt be unreasonable to think that an inspection would be carried out within 2 - 3 weeks of the council having received a report.

Drop a line or two to the director of services in the planning dept. and express your concerns to him/her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

Purdia wrote: »

Check the Web-site, using the planning ref.no

I was able to tell a friend, last year the result of his appeal, as I checked on-line, ABP will write to the agent, who may write another letter to you, so go straight to the well.

Fingers crossed for you, don't forget to let us know the outcome.

Thanks muffler for the quick reply,i will give it another week before in call anybody else i think.It just seems unfair on the people carrying out the work that they havent been warned somebody has concerns about the structure.Is it any easier to get retention permission after the work is finished,rather then apply for permission before one starts?

Thanks muffler for the quick reply,i will give it another week before in call anybody else i think.It just seems unfair on the people carrying out the work that they havent been warned somebody has concerns about the structure.

its unusual for an enforcement officer not to act pretty quickly on any report, even if it is just a letter to the other party stating that a query had been received and if there was any comments.
    I would try to get talking to this enforcement officer in directly. The situation will become clearer then. There may be many reasons why work continued.

Is it any easier to get retention permission after the work is finished,rather then apply for permission before one starts?

not necessarily.
    In my experience you have to jump through more hoops when applying for retention than you would do if applying straight out.

Thanks sydthebeat.I think i will try a direct call then.

20/20
    I know in Cork the council require you to fill out a form/application outlining the details and nature of the unauthorised development. maybe the email was ignored..

BryanF they did email me back on 19/10/2011 saying that my notes were forwarded to the planning enforcement officer for the area for investigation,so i would imagine it should be looked into.Also when i rang the other day,my notes are on the system its just the enforcement officer has not looked at it (or done anything)yet.To me over eleven weeks seems like a long time.There is little enough building work been done nowadays so what is enforcement doing?.Iam in North Dublin. DCC area.

I will soon be trying to get planning permission on a site that allowed the PP to lapse over 3 years ago. It is in a scenic area of mayo and the local guidelines state that i must be from an area within 3 miles and have a strong connection to the immediate area.

Both my wife and i were born live and work within 10 miles of this area,
    Is it pointless me applying or is there a certain amount of give ?
    Will the previous PP be helpful ?
    SHould i lobby local councilors etc before i would apply ?

Most houses in the area are Holiday homes for people from the Dublin area, how they got permission i do not know. Consequently the place is dotted with empty houses and many shops and pubs closing in the winter, surely there must be provision for people who will live there all year long and support the locality in Winter and Summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I will soon be trying to get planning permission on a site that allowed the PP to lapse over 3 years ago. It is in a scenic area of mayo and the local guidelines state that i must be from an area within 3 miles and have a strong connection to the immediate area.

Both my wife and i were born live and work within 10 miles of this area,
    Is it pointless me applying or is there a certain amount of give ?
    Will the previous PP be helpful ?
    SHould i lobby local councilors etc before i would apply ?

Most houses in the area are Holiday homes for people from the Dublin area, how they got permission i do not know. Consequently the place is dotted with empty houses and many shops and pubs closing in the winter, surely there must be provision for people who will live there all year long and support the locality in Winter and Summer.
    The requirements and details would be contained in the Mayo County Development Plan which Im not familiar with as Im in Donegal. However if you log into the Mayo County Council web site and have a look at their planning section you should probably locate the Development Plan. The issues you raise would be under the "Rural Housing" heading or some title similar to that.

On a general note the fact that permission was previously granted is a plus but the original permission would have been more "applicant specific". What I mean is that its a bonus that the planners approved a house previously but the original applicants would have demonstrated that they were in compliance with whatever rural housing policy the council has or had.

Just to point out also that while they may have granted permission before now it would not be safe to assume that they would do so again even if you could demonstrate your bona fides. The Development Plan would have been renewed since the original permission was granted and policies may have been changed since.

On the point of holiday homes I cant speak for planning in Mayo but the Devp. Plan for Donegal does contain agreed policies on holiday homes with a certain number being allowed at specific locations around the county.

There are a couple of regulars here from Mayo who may be able to offer further advise

I would suggest you get in touch with a local architectural technician or architect who is familiar with the planning requirements in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Hi, I want to build a block shed, I understand 3m high is the limit without PP, however I would like to use an existing boundry wall as the back of the shed (the 3m high side). The boundry wall backs onto a field (not another garden). I read that 2m is the highest you can go for a boundry wall. My question is can I build the wall up to 3m just along where the shed is?

can I build the wall up to 3m just along where the shed is?
    not without planning

How far would I have to come in to build the 3m wall?

I'm not aware of any prescriptive distance in the planning & dev exemption regs why not contact you local planning office and discuss it with them

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not a good idea to build the shed on the existing wall. It was built as a garden wall, and thats it. Wall ties, foundation etc are not up to scratch.
    Build a separate shed wall, immediately inside the wall, with new foundations under pinnign the existing

Mellor wrote: »
    It's not a good idea to build the shed on the existing wall. It was built as a garden wall, and thats it. Wall ties, foundation etc are not up to scratch.
    Build a separate shed wall, immediately inside the wall, with new foundations under pinnign the existing
    Ok, think I'll do that.
    One last question, is the 25msq internal or external?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

If the 25 sqm you are referring to is taken from BryanF's link above it is taken as being calculated when measured inside the outside wall all around.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If the 25 sqm you are referring to is taken from BryanF's link above it is taken as being calculated when measured inside the outside wall all around.
    PUT, am I missing something?

The 25sq.m is ans internal floor area. What do you mean by "outside wall all around"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The 25sq.m is ans internal floor area.
    I thought that's what I said!
    What do you mean by "outside wall all around"
    Floor area is calculated by measuring inside the external (outside) wall all around.

It's probably confusing the I have it written.

Advertisement